PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP needed please

Ben10mad
22-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Hiya. my son woke up in the middle of the night boiling hot and was saying he was cold, anyway this morning hes had more symptons, i rung the doctors and explained and they have said that their going to perscribe him the tamiflu tablets, I am working to say as i didn't really think it would be swine flu, WHAT DO I DO? i have 2 children under 3, and full tomorrow. Not sure what to do, can i still work if they wish to send children?

Quick responce would be apprechiated.
Thanx

Daftbat
22-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Would you be able to keep your son segregated from the other children? How old is he?

If my youngest had it i would be able to isolate her completely away from the other children so could carry on.

If this isn't possible due to age or your home facilities then i would say that no you won't be able to work for a few days. Sorry

Bushpig
22-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Would you be able to keep your son segregated from the other children? How old is he?

If my youngest had it i would be able to isolate her completely away from the other children so could carry on.

If this isn't possible due to age or your home facilities then i would say that no you won't be able to work for a few days. Sorry

Ditto!

If your son has been aorund your mindees in the last couple of days the infection would have spread anyhow...

Hope he gets better soon!!!! xxxx

caroljayne
22-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi there,
I hope your son soon feels better.
Current guidance does state that as a childminder if you ar a member of your family have swine flu you should not work. :-(

This is the government guidance:-

SECTION 3C – CHILDMINDERS - ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

3.17 Childminders should only look after children if they themselves and their own children are well, and should not look after children who are infected with pandemic flu.

What you should do now

3.18 This advice is for all childminders. We strongly recommend that you should:

â– Read the NHS leaflet for families available from DH 08701 555 455 or dh@...

or at www.dh.gov.uk/pandemicflu . Information for parents which you may also find helpful can be found at www.parentscentre.gov.uk or www.direct.gov.uk/Parents/fs/en ;

â– Familiarise yourself with Government advice on personal hygiene education on http://www.wiredforhealth.gov.uk/cat.php?catid=838 , and general guidance on infection control, incl personal hygiene and seasonal influenza, at: www.wiredforhealth.gov.uk/cat.php?catid=917 New guidance will be added as it becomes available;

â– Ensure that you are fully equipped with materials needed to implement infection control measures (e.g. tissues and tissue-disposal; hot water and soap), in time to cope with any imminent pandemic;

â– Speak to your local authority or childminder network co-ordinator and parents to decide on what your responsibilities are if there is a flu pandemic;

â– Emergency arrangements if children need to be sent home before the time normally arranged with parents;

â– Plan your method of communication with parents, in consultation with the local authority and make sure your contact details are up to date. You could consider:

• text-messaging

• phone calls

• email

• parents volunteering to phone others.

What you should do during a pandemic

3.19 If you and your own children are well you should carry on as normal, but you should:

â– Make sure that you follow the infection control guidance;

â– Stay alert to any sign that children in your care (including your own) may be unwell.

If any do show signs of having flu, contact their parents and make arrangements to have them returned home. Let the parents of any other children you care for know that their children may have been exposed to infection, but so long as they and you are well you should continue to care for them as normal;

â– Make sure that any child you care for who has been unwell is fully recovered before they return to your care. Children who have recovered will not fall ill again and will not spread infection to others.

3.20 If you feel unwell with flu symptoms you should:

a. Not look after other people’s children and take sensible precautions for the care of any children of your own;

b. Inform the parents of all the children you care for and ask them to make alternative arrangements for childcare;

c. Not agree to care for any children until you are fully recovered.

3.21 Those who have been infected and recovered may be immune to further infection from that strain of virus, and may have cross-protection from any related strain. Before accepting children into your care, make sure you follow the infection control guidance, take sensible precautions and carry on doing so until the pandemic is over.

The Juggler
22-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Caroljayne. I got directed to this guidance document by the NCMA website and someone else has been directed to it by their LA. Sarah707 pointed out though that this guidance is dated 2006! so not so up to date. I'm still trying to get my LA to clarify their current advice for childminding settings.

cuffleygirl
22-07-2009, 02:42 PM
The seperation thing yes could work - but can you look after your son and work to the best interests of everyone involved?

This swine flu is a nightmare and we do need recent clear guidelines - and its difficult to let parents down and manage without money if we have to close.

The government regard us so poorly and yet without us some parents would not be able to work!

caroljayne
23-07-2009, 09:47 AM
This guidance is being sent out to childminders by post so must still be current. I recieved a copy at the beginning of the week and it does say if you or a member of your household feel unwell with flu symptoms you should not look after other people's children.

XxXxX

The Juggler
23-07-2009, 03:39 PM
This guidance is being sent out to childminders by post so must still be current. I recieved a copy at the beginning of the week and it does say if you or a member of your household feel unwell with flu symptoms you should not look after other people's children.

XxXxX

I have to say this is what I would expect. Just wish our LA would get act together and say one way or other.

shellib
23-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Hiya. my son woke up in the middle of the night boiling hot and was saying he was cold, anyway this morning hes had more symptons, i rung the doctors and explained and they have said that their going to perscribe him the tamiflu tablets, I am working to say as i didn't really think it would be swine flu, WHAT DO I DO? i have 2 children under 3, and full tomorrow. Not sure what to do, can i still work if they wish to send children?

Quick responce would be apprechiated.
Thanx

Hope your son is feeling bit better today :(