PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with development and writing a report

vix84
22-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi,
I have a mindee who is 17 months, he walked at 12 months, and when he came to me at 13 months he could understand simple instructions and communicated very well by using a few hand signals etc. He likes to keep busy and can now put the railway track together, he is copying words and I can understand about 7 clear words, but he tries to say quite a few more than that.

Anyway, the grandparents have him 1 day a week and they are upsetting the mum by keep saying that he is 'a bit slow and backwards'! and are worried about his speech!!

The mum disagrees completely, as do I, but the comments are hurtful, especially coming from the in-laws!

So I said to her today that I already do a learning journal and observations/planning but I will do a report on him. Just saying where he is at with his development - well on target and advanced in some areas, and what he enjoys doing. Maybe add in a few practical tips on looking at what he can do, and what he likes and incorporating this with new challenges.
Then the mum can show this to the grandparents, and I will also do a form for them to leave feedback seeing as they have him 1 day a week. Then if they have any concerns I can hopefully put them straight so they dont upset the mum!

Anyway, obviously this is more work for me, but I think it will be a nice thing to add to there files.

I need to find something that clearly shows the 'average' ages for doing certain things. This doesn't have tor relate to the EYFS as I can tie this into the areas myself.
I know we are not supposed to use check lists, but I can always look at a check list and maybe just put it into phrases and add into the report - for example:
'most children will walk independently between the ages of 12 months and 14 months, but some will walk at 11 months, some at 15 months' - taken from .... resources. Child A was walking independently using a baby walker from 11 months and walked independantly from 12 months. etc.

Can anyone send me in the direction of resources detailing ages for development please.
Or if you have any ideas etc. they would be gratefully recieved:)

Tatjana
22-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't have any information on what you're asking but wanted to say how nice of you to do that! The poor mum, wish those grandies would keep it zipped, what a wasy to talk about your grandchild:eek:

xx

sarah707
22-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Have a look here -

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/speechandlanguage.asp

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/not_talk.html

Remind mum... boys tend to be generally slower than girls; a language rich environment is the most important; he is busy doing other things just now but it is all going in :D

vix84
22-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the replies - those links are handy - I will also try googling milestones and development and see what comes up.

The mum has had pnd, and I also think she may take it personally - maybe not, but it would annoy me if it were my parents or in-laws!

I thought it may also be a good way of analysing the childrens development every 6 months and to see if the obs and planning are working well etc.

nannymcflea
22-07-2009, 12:25 PM
From speach and language dept;

at 18 months they are looking for

Vocabulary of 10-20 words,used meaningfully
.Attempts to imitate new words.
Uses nonsense chatter and babble.

Points to familiar people and objects on request.
Understands simple instructions e.g fetch your coat.

Co-operates in routines
Briefly copies simple everyday activities e.g brushes mummys hair
Enjoys putting objects in and out of containers

When to Refer

If shows no understanding of simple/familiar words e.g biscuit,shoe,car
If not using a range of sounds or noises
No babble or words
Not making eye contact

child sounds A1 to me, grandparents need reminding how old he is!

grindal
22-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Not strictly relevant but DS1 said nothing until he was nearly 3 and I mean nothing - no babbling, no noises, no chatter to himself. He was referred to a speech therapists and still he said nothing. He is now 3 and a half and on Friday my ofsted inspector remarked on what an eloquent little boy he is. As Sarah707 says it most definately is all going in!!

sweets
22-07-2009, 05:51 PM
this is what bugs me about the EYFS book. its all listed in ages anout what and when they should be doing things! 99% of children get there in the end and usually but not always do the in the same order as others. I looked after a little boy who didn't walk until he was two, he was a very laid back chap and was quite content to sit and play, but health visitors and doctors had mum worried to death! one day ,as i knew he would he decided to walk after all!
There doesn't sound anything wrong with your little mindee, he is just doing things in his own time,and why shouldn't he?
Grandparents should let up a bit!