PDA

View Full Version : My summer menu

Zoomie
21-07-2009, 09:21 PM
I got pulled up by my mindees mum for giving the children too much cheese and raisins (not at the same time), so I have spoken to mindee and have come up with a bit of a menu.

C is a vegetarian, eats very well, but mum wants me to keep away from all things sweet. No jam, raisins, and even our baking efforts need to reflect this (she hasn't said out loud, but I have understood her loud and clear).

What do you think of our menu ?

My biggest problem is finding snacks to take out with us, as we go out every day, mostly in the morning, and mindee seems to be VERY HUNGRY, all morning long, and cheese and raisins were such easy take out snacks :blush: .

Gherkin
21-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Think your menu looks fine.

Ask the mindees mum what she takes out as snack when they are out and about. Sweet stuff can be any fruit if she doesn't want them to get the sweet flavour but seriously I can't see what problem she would have with raisens.

wendywu
21-07-2009, 10:01 PM
If she is that fussy then i would get her to supply snacks for her child.

I cannot see a problem with cheese or raisins in moderation. I certainly not alter any baking projects because of her.

Today children we are going to bake Water Biscuits, err excuse me children where do you think you are all going, children please come back, CHILDREN dont you dare walk away when i have a baking activity set up for you :laughing: :laughing:

OrlandoBelle
21-07-2009, 10:09 PM
What's wrong with cheese and raisins? I think your meal planner looks fine. Mine like to eat crackers with cheese, apple and grapes. It can be hard taking this out on trips though. I don't give them processed chese like cheese strings.... no matter what the advert says, it can't be 100% pure cheese. They must must something in it to make it stringy!

Zoomie
21-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Raisins / dried fruit stick to the teeth and can cause tooth decay ...., and are not recommended as a snack anymore .... (so I was told really nicely).

I was giving mindees a bit too much cheese, as it tended to be for snack and lunch, so have no problem about being told off for that.

For my own children, I am happy to let them have cheese everyday, they are fit and healthy, and the alternative for them would be jam :blush:

Anyhow, thanks for the positive feedback on the menu.

The baking activities will take a bit of thinking, but as long as I alternate sweet with savory stuff each week, I am sure she will be fine.

Last week we made strawberry smoothie ice-lollies (yoghurt, strawberries and 2t sugar), and pizza's are fine too, and breadsticks, cheese twists, bread rolls .....

wendywu
21-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Dont forget Water Biscuits:laughing:

angeldelight
22-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for sharing

Angel xx

Tatjana
22-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Sounds good to me...do you make your own pizzas? I often use pitta bread or wraps as a pizza base.

xx

RainbowMum
22-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Jacobs are now doing snack packs of crackers, expensive way to buy them but handy to take out :)

Zoomie
22-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds good to me...do you make your own pizzas? I often use pitta bread or wraps as a pizza base.

xx

I do make my own pizza's dough (in the breadmaker), and we will be having large pizza's during the holidays to feed everyone. During term time, I either do them on muffins, breadrolls or bagels. Sometimes the children get a piece of dough and create their own.

nannymcflea
22-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Sounds like she needs to employ a nanny she can harrass.

fionamal
22-07-2009, 12:46 PM
When im going out I take a little tub for each little one with snack stuff in it and there is normally choices of:-

Cocktail Sausages
Grapes
Strawberries
Cheese Strings
Raisins
Bread Sticks
Yoghurt Fruit Flakes
Banana
Small Apple

I try and vary it as much as possible so its not the same every day

Twinkles
22-07-2009, 05:26 PM
So give her crisps.....wot ? they're not sweet :p

Ok so don't mean it really. I tend to take out breadsticks or apple slices.Or even...shock...horror...biscuits :panic:

If she's that particular as Wendy says ask her ,ever so sweetly , if she would like to provide the snacks.

Tatjana
22-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I do make my own pizza's dough (in the breadmaker), and we will be having large pizza's during the holidays to feed everyone. During term time, I either do them on muffins, breadrolls or bagels. Sometimes the children get a piece of dough and create their own.

Using the breadmaker is a great idea! Mmmm, large pizzas :D

xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-07-2009, 05:38 PM
i was told by my dentist that raisins are actually worse for your teeth than chocolate (bring on the chocolate) as where they stick to the lo's teeth they cause more decay

Mrs Argyle
22-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Can I come for lunch, sounds lovely. I don't have any complaints as I don't supply food they all come with their little lunch boxes. I used to supply food but then I had one mindee with dairy allergy and one with nut allergy, this way what they dont eat goes home with them and parents can see what they have eaten. it's worked well so far and no problems from parents or mindee's.

OrlandoBelle
22-07-2009, 05:40 PM
One of my parents sends her 8 month old baby with a packet of wotsits/Quavers everyday!!!

mushpea
22-07-2009, 06:08 PM
how do you keep your apple slices from going brown when you take them on a picnic??

sue
22-07-2009, 07:33 PM
how do you keep your apple slices from going brown when you take them on a picnic??

l put lemon juice in tub (works for me and the kids like them)

Twinkles
22-07-2009, 07:38 PM

I have one of those whizzy apple slicer/corers from pampered chef so i take that and a very small chopping board.

Curly Quavers
22-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I would feel put out if a parent said that to me too.