PDA

View Full Version : here's a question - children caught short

uf353432
21-07-2009, 08:36 PM
if we are out and about - a park for example with no public convenience. Is it perfectly ok to say that you will find a private spot for them and then clean hands with antibac gel afterwards?

I have a risk assesment where I have identified a place I go without any facilities and just want to make sure I am able to say what I would do without being pulled up on it?

sophiestars
21-07-2009, 08:48 PM
OOOH that's a tricky one! I haven't been in that situation yet but when they've gotta go, they've gotta go....! With my own 2 boys I wouldn't think twice of a quick wee in the bushes (my eldest quite likes it!:blush: ) if there were no facilities, but with mindees i always feel a bit different, but like i say if they've got to go you have no choice. Saying that I religiously make them all 'go' before we go out anywhere,but if you are out for a while there's definitely a chance of being caught short. I hadn't thought of putting it on my risk assessments though!

I'll be interested in the replies from the wise ladies (and men!) on here

Pipsqueak
21-07-2009, 08:50 PM
you can buy little foldaway portapotties and the bags.:thumbsup:

sweets
21-07-2009, 08:58 PM
you can buy little foldaway portapotties and the bags.:thumbsup:

They are an absolute pain! i tried one once (not for me personally for a mindee!)lol. by the time i had set the thing up and put a bag in it there was a puddle on the floor and a wet child to change!:laughing:

its the bushes for my mindees! btu only if they are desparate

beckyteddy
21-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I mind for 5 different newly toilet trained 2 year olds (all on different days of course!) and we often have to nip behind trees, bushes etc. Once they are a bit bigger and a bit more reliabe I will encourage them to hold on if I know we are nearly home but at the moment I wouldn't be able to leave the house if I worried about not weeing alfresco!! I always think at that age they are pretty much going to wee within a few minutes of telling me they need to go, so I've got 2 choices; either stand back and watch them wet themselves with their trousers on, or find the most private, hygienic spot I can and let them take their trousers off first!

I don't really know the answer as to wether or not we are really 'supposed' to do this but sometimes we have no real choice, do we?

uf353432
21-07-2009, 09:16 PM
you see - there is logical sensible - mum of 2 me - and then there is say the right thing for fear of being frowned upon me lol!

I think I have to go with it - I have put on there children will be asled to go to the loo before we leave - and the park is only 5 mins away by car- but there are other places I go where there is no facilities frequently and I think its best that I have a plan for that eventuality.

nannymcflea
21-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Best to pee in the bush than end up with a urine infection by trying to hold it!Urine after all is sterile.:laughing:

Zoomie
21-07-2009, 09:27 PM
To be honest I just 'ignored' this part when doing my RAs.

You deserve an outstanding :D

Deb
21-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I use the porta potty things, you can set them up with 3 bags on ready. Or I let them pee behind a bush. School is a problem tho - we have 2 sites and the school run takes an hour from leaving home to getting back again, and that is using the car to park at one school, walking to the other, back to the first one and in the car again. We arent allowed to use the school loos and we arent allowed to let them pee in the playground, or on the field. Which leaves us with the option of letting them **** themselves.

sweets
21-07-2009, 09:36 PM
That's awful not being able to use school loos! i can understand it before the bell goes but once the children are out of lessons it should be ok to go in. Our school never bothered, actually the head told me once to take my littlies in the staff loo as they were cleaner at the end of the day than the kids ones!lol

Deb
21-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Cant take prams in, and cant leave them outside. Daft innit!

ZoeAlli
21-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I have it on my RA's. Where possible I try to take a potty, cleaning wipes and antibac gel with me, however if i forgot these I think I would let the child pee behind a tree (or somewhere discrete) rather than them wet themselves (child could feel more embarrased by this!).

PixiePetal
21-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I take a portable potty, or they go behind a bush for a wee :rolleyes:

Quick tip - dont buy the real liner bags with soak up pads attached. I use a nappy sacks (some makes are better/bigger than others) with value/savers sanitary towels stuck in, 2 if the child is likely to do a big wee. Much cheaper. :thumbsup: or even a carrier bag as long as there are no holes in it :laughing:

beerheaven
21-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Quick tip - dont buy the real liner bags with soak up pads attached. I use a nappy sacks (some makes are better/bigger than others) with value/savers sanitary towels stuck in, 2 if the child is likely to do a big wee. Much cheaper. :thumbsup: or even a carrier bag as long as there are no holes in it :laughing:

That's what I use! I find most nappy bags fit - with a bit of a stretch!

Older kids find a suitable bush / long grass!!

shopshelleyd
21-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I had a little one yesterday that said he needed a wee and we were in the woods and no toilet so into the bushes we went ... and out popped a poo! yuk! nappy bags, tissues ..... you get the picture :eek:

Blaze
21-07-2009, 10:04 PM

LOL I do this too!!!!:thumbsup:

childmind04
21-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I had a little one yesterday that said he needed a wee and we were in the woods and no toilet so into the bushes we went ... and out popped a poo! yuk! nappy bags, tissues ..... you get the picture :eek:

lol

My newly potty trained lo yesterday at the park needed the loo, so i just took him behind a tree :)

ORKSIE
21-07-2009, 10:07 PM
A bush! :thumbsup:

Blaze
21-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Oh the joys of being a childminder!:rolleyes: :laughing:

ORKSIE
21-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Its bio digradable (Sp) :thumbsup: In the woods antway, would not recommend anywhere else:rolleyes:

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 10:42 PM
mine go wherever tehy need. in my experience girls less keen to pee in bushes. I also had a porta potty but liners etc were very expensive.

Now I take normal potty then empty it into gutter or grass.

I always carry anti-bac and nappy sacks in case of a number 2!