PDA

View Full Version : First Mindees - Fee Enquiry

OoopsyDaisy
21-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm a pre reg childminder who is just waiting for blasted CRB checks to be completed, partners done just waiting on mine, and I have had an enquiry to look after three siblings, 2 are school age 6 and 7 and the other is 2, nearly 3. I have not a clue what to charge, I am needed to look after them mon-fri from 7am-6.30pm...phew!

On working out my hourly rate plus a little discount it is amounting to a figure that most people wouldn't earn in a month! Am I doing something wrong! I live in South Yorkshire so fees are slightly less than other places.

Would someone mind just helping me out on whether I should be offering a sibling discount, whether its a good idea putting all of my eggs into one basket, so to speak! and just any general advice would be greatly appreciated! Also not sure whether this really matters but she is a single parent.

Thanks for reading! Lovely to meet you all! :clapping:

chewy sweets
21-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I've just registered and i'm going to be charging £4 per hour. Won't be offering discounts for sibblings as they are still taking up your spaces where another parent would be paying full.
Alot of parents get help with childcare costs these days with tax credits- which can pay upto 75% of the costs(maybe more not sure) So chances are the parents won't be paying more than their monthly wage in childcare they'll just be topping it up to what tax credits don't cover.
Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

julie w
21-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I find I seem to be charging a lot less than other childminders. When I started I didnt have a clue what to charge so I went by another childminders prices in the area. I dont live in a very affluent area.Even at my quite low prices, some parents are struggling, so I dont feel I want to put prices up. I charge £15 per day, no discount for siblings. £35 per week before and after school. I read what other childminders charge, but I personally know my mindees parents couldn't afford this. I am always full, whereas some of the local childminders who charge more are really struggling.

Tatjana
22-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I know we often read on here how tax credits pay upto 85% of childcare costs, but i feel if these parents are getting the full amount of credits it's because they earn so little. So even if they're only topping up the fees it's still alot for them, imo.

xx