PDA

View Full Version : lunch out

mushpea
21-07-2009, 06:14 PM
summers here and picnics too, but need some ideas to give insted of crisps, today they had ;
a sandwich or cheese dipper
peice of fruit
crisps
cake/biscuits

all but one child ate every thing, the one child ate one bite of sancwich , one bite of his pear, 3 crisps then wanted his cake of course i said no but he still didnt eat his food.
his mum said that he just doesnt eat much lunch but i suspect is because he just wanted to go and play.
anyway am going to give him less in his lunch box tommoro, one round of bread with filling, a small peice of fruit but need somthing to replace the crisps. dont want to give him a whole bag of crisps as its a waste but then if i give him half a bag what do i do with the rest?
if i leave the crisps out and just give him a sandwich and fruit it seems unfair as the other children have a bag of crisps but then they eat all whats intheir box anyway.
thought of things like
breadsticks
cheese straws
popcorn
but need other ideas incase he dosent like them and also how to encourage him to eat his dinner as he fidgets at meal times, its like he hasnt got time to eat lunch as he wants to play yet i dont allow him to go untill the others have finished and i dont allow them to keep going off then comming back for more.

Tatjana
21-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Cereal bars, crackers, rice cakes?

xx

sweets
21-07-2009, 06:28 PM
carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry toms, cold pasta, cold pizza, peppers,cucumber,radishes.

sarah707
21-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Some children are like that! They just cannot sit still to eat even though they don't leave until the others are finished anyway!

I have one who will nibble round sandwiches and say 'finished'! After a while of coaxing etc I gave up and tried a different tack.

I say ok, ignore it and then when the others are getting their yoghurts, point out to him that there's lots of food on his plate and he mustn't be hungry enough for a yoghurt...

He gobbles up the sandwiches in double quick time. I do wonder why he doesn't learnt though, it happens nearly every day :rolleyes:

Have you tried different breads? We like Hovis, brown rolls, crusty cob, bloomers, bagels, croissants, Blackpool roll, French sticks... we had a try of lots of different types during national bread week and found lots of new ones we like.

I try to include a selection of them every week so the tastes are repeated :D

sweets
21-07-2009, 06:39 PM
what is blackpool roll? is it milk roll?

RachelE
21-07-2009, 06:45 PM
melon,grapes strawberries (maybe a couple of each if he doesnt eat much)

Yogurt (maybe an ice pack if really hot)

mini sausages or sausages cooked and chopped up.

Enjoy your picnics - some children will eat loads and some wont!

sarah707
21-07-2009, 06:46 PM
what is blackpool roll? is it milk roll?

Yes it's made by Warburtons.

It contains extra calcium as well :D