PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Schema

singlewiththree
21-07-2009, 12:43 PM
My mindee is 16mths and is constantly throwing. I've tried saying No I've tried encouraging him to only throw soft things into particular areas, I've tried distraction and getting him to put things in boxes. Its driving me nuts the as he throws heavy things that hurt. Any tips?

chewy sweets
21-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry not tips but just wanted to let you know it must be an age thing. My lo is 15 months old and does excatly the same and i can't get him to stop either. Hopefully someone will have some good advice soon! :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
21-07-2009, 02:45 PM
you need Sarah - she has tons of info on schemas:D There is a book called Again Again (can't remember who by off hand - excellent book and info)

Helen79
21-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry have no ideas really on how to stop him throwing what he's not allowed but maybe encourage throwing beanbags into baskets or at other targets.

Loads of ball play outside, throwing wet sponges at the wall outside, fill the room with balloons to throw about.

Daddy Day Care
21-07-2009, 03:34 PM
My son turned 2 last week and hes always been a thrower, it doesnt matter what it was if it was in his hands he threw it.

I really struggled to get him to stop, tried everything I could think of but nothing seemed to work, thankfuly now he seems to have grown out of it.

No help to you, sorry :blush:

Gareth
xx

Chanelle
21-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Schemas are, as you probably know are patterns of linked behaviours, which the child can generalise and use in a whole variety of different situations. It is best to think of schemas as being a cluster of pieces which fit together.

I quite often see children at Nursery where I work, fill up bags, put things into cupboards, dress up, load prams with dolls - the focus is enveloping - exploring 'inside'
By identifying a child's schema we can plan his learning in ways that most interest him.
We form our schemas during childhood as a way to make sense out of our world. They are normal and natural reactions to events. Children exhibit schemas when they are playing and trying to find out more about the world.

There isnt really much you can do and shouldnt tell him to stop.

I would suggest that you just supply activities that enable him/her to do this. Patterns of play is a process of learning.

Here is an extract from a book I have which explains a little about Schemas and what ones there.....

Trajectories - vertical, horizontal and oblique, throwing, jumping, dropping, a fascination with the beginning and end of lines.

Connecting - a child with a connection schema is interested in joining things together

Rotational - going round and round

Transporting - a child may move objects or collections of objects from one place to another, perhaps using a pram, bag or truck.

Enveloping and containing – covering things up and putting things inside.

Transformation – mixing paint, show an interest in melting jelly or ice, dressing up.

Scattering – emptying baskets, tipping out toys like bricks, use arms and legs to scatter, oats, pasta, rice etc. Wipe objects or toys from tables and surfaces.

Tina Bruce describes three levels of schema:
* sensorimotor (senses and movement)
* symbolic representation (pretend)
* functional dependency (exploring cause and effect).

Cazz
21-07-2009, 04:00 PM
My 19 mth old daughter has a schema at the moment (I can see from the list above it's a transporting one!). She has a set of six mini books which she places in a neat line along the arm of the sofa and then one by one she takes them and does the same on the kitchen chair. She then repeats this over and over again!

She must have been doing this for a good half an hour a couple of mornings ago. As I'm not yet very experienced in these things can anyone make a suggestion for following on from this?

Sorry to hijack the thread - I haven't made any suggestions to help you with your throwing schema! I find these schema's very interesting though and think I may have to get a book on the subject (when would I get time to read it though?!).

Carole x

sweets
21-07-2009, 04:02 PM
i presume the word schema is the new word for phase! lol

grindal
21-07-2009, 04:02 PM
My son turned 2 last week and hes always been a thrower, it doesnt matter what it was if it was in his hands he threw it.

I really struggled to get him to stop, tried everything I could think of but nothing seemed to work, thankfuly now he seems to have grown out of it.

No help to you, sorry :blush:

Gareth
xx

Am in a hurry (as always!) and read that as your 2 week old son is a thrower - wow how amazing I thought :eek: :eek: ....... and then I read it properly :panic:

Cazz
21-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Am in a hurry (as always!) and read that as your 2 week old son is a thrower - wow how amazing I thought :eek: :eek: ....... and then I read it properly :panic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now that's one advanced child!

Carole x

sarah707
21-07-2009, 05:01 PM
i presume the word schema is the new word for phase! lol

Probably! :laughing:

Except... a schema is something a child does not seem to be able to help doing...

A phase can usually be stopped by good adult management while you don't stand a chance of stopping a schema :D

sweets
21-07-2009, 05:06 PM
well i must have a schema for eating chocolate then because i can't help doing it!

angeldelight
21-07-2009, 05:08 PM
well i must have a schema for eating chocolate then because i can't help doing it!

:laughing: :laughing:

xx

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 05:55 PM
me too! a schema is a method through which the child learns. so your ds is learning about distance, movement etc through his throwing. It's their preferred way of learning.

Sarah's book will help no doubt but meanwhile spend lots of time outdoors and provide lots of soft balls, spongy dice etc, that he can throw and learn the difference between what is allowed to be thrown and not.

The child I knew who liked to throw had very good hand eye co-ordination and was very good at drop kicking balls, hitting a golf ball etc.

It will lessen once he has learned what he needs from it just provides lots of resources to let him try it in different ways

jeanybeany
21-07-2009, 06:36 PM
The book about Schemas (as someone else mentioned) is called 'Again!Again! Understanding Schemas in young Children by Stella Louis, Clare Beswick, Liz Magraw and Lisa Hayes.

For a trajectory schema they suggest folding simple paper planes to throw, splat wet sponges at a target, for a treasure basket feathers, sycamore keys, and leaves to drop, different sizes and weights of balls for throwing, spinning and rolling, explore objects that bounce, bounce on a mini trampoline, play with balloons. A balloon ball might be good to use. I have one of these and the lo's love it.

Hope this helps, I've just used this book to plan for a child that has a rotation schema.:)