PDA

View Full Version : Activities for a 15 month old?

samw
06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
CAn anyone give my any ideas for activities for a 15 month old I mind. Ive tried to do painting, making etc with him before but he just isnt interested. I dont know what to do with him now coming to Christmas as Id like to do cards, hand and feet reindeer etc but hes really not that bothered about doing crafty things, he'd rather just play with toys. Maybe I should just let him do this but then I feel I am failing in someway.:(

Please help if you can!!!

Thanks

Sam xx

sarah707
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd set up the day so you are following his interests in the toys he is playing with - so if he's brumming cars, he might like to brum them through the paint tray and see how the tracks look on a piece of paper... once he's done that, he can do some finger painting which you can turn into robins... cut 2 nice ones out as handprints for parent's present (laminated with a poem) and 2 more for the reindeer (draw an oval instead of using feet if he doesn't like it)

Then when he gets out something else, take a photo of him using it for the front of his Christmas card... if you can get him to wear a Santa hat for the photo all the better!

There, Christmas sorted LOL... then let him play!

Angel has posted all her birth to 3 activities - have a browse through those as well... they are full of good ideas

charleyfarley
07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
CAn anyone give my any ideas for activities for a 15 month old I mind. Ive tried to do painting, making etc with him before but he just isnt interested. I dont know what to do with him now coming to Christmas as Id like to do cards, hand and feet reindeer etc but hes really not that bothered about doing crafty things, he'd rather just play with toys. Maybe I should just let him do this but then I feel I am failing in someway.:(

Please help if you can!!!

Thanks

Sam xx

Sorry Sam I am in the same boat as you

Have had a 15 month old now for 4 weeks although only one day a week until next week when he becomes full time.

He goes to another childminder at present but not sure what she does with him as I haven't been told much.

I just know she doesn't do obs or paperwork full stop, her choice!

I've tried hand printing, finger painting and various craft things but he isn't interested.

He'll do it when he is ready and I've told parents this.

They are happy with what he does here and with what I say/write.

I may just pm you next week for advice and to see how you are getting on, it's been a long time since I've had a full timer.

He is a darling though always smiling, can't wait for Monday

Sorry took over really hope you get some good advice

Carol xx

helenlouise
07-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Hi sam

I look after a 15 month also and he is not interested in crafty things but that will come.
Mine just likes to potter. He empties the box of toys then puts them all back.
He likes music and rhymes, hide and seek games, out door activites running, climbing. waterplay, playdough, sand.

I talk to him alot teaching new words, parts of his body, and action songs

You are in no way failing letting him just play as he is discovering things for himself.

Hope this helps.
I love this age so cute!

Helen:)

manjay
07-12-2007, 06:31 AM
My son (who is now 18 months) is exactly the same and does not want to do any crafty things. The only thing he likes is drawing on his own hands with felt pen! Sometimes it is like he has a phobia about mess. He doesn't like anything like paint or glue or gloop on his hands but then totally contradicts that by drawing with his fingers in his meals!!

I would say he is most happy sitting in his chair at the table watching the older ones do their thing

Amanda xx

angeldelight
07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
I have my list of Birth to Three Activities

They are in Birth to Three section there are some good ideas and I know they have helped some of the members in the past

Scroll down the page and you will see them

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Angel xx

samw
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks Angel, there are some brill ideas there! :thumbsup: Will try some next week.

Thanks

Sam x

allinatiz
12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi. I look after a 16 month old and I was feeling like I was doing a bad job because she isn't really interested in doing much crafty stuff, she'd much rather eat the glue! We spend a lot of time singing and dancing and just playing and I was worried that I wasn't doing enough, even though she's very happy here and her mum is really pleased with how she's settled in with us. She does love drawing though so I might pinch Sarah's idea of cutting her scribbles into Christmas things and making a card for mum and dad, thanks Sarah, I do need inspiration!

Also thank you Angel for posting the birth to three activities, loads of ideas there for me to use :D