PDA

View Full Version : What if schools don't reopen?

margimum
21-07-2009, 06:16 AM
After summer break?
What will we do about term time only children if we have holiday children too , sharing a space iykwim?
Who will get priority if parents have to go to work?
Will Ofsted issue guidelines?
Hope it doesn't happen

angeldelight
21-07-2009, 06:29 AM
If you watch the thread I pinned at the top of this section I will add news whenever it happens

One of my teacher parents told me that they have been warned they might close the school for an extra month - added on to the holiday

The situation is going to be monitored through out the holiday

I think we have to go with the flow at the moment and look at the situation later if it happens

I think some of my holiday time parents would not be happy though and it would cost them so much more money

Angel xx

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 06:55 AM
After summer break?
What will we do about term time only children if we have holiday children too , sharing a space iykwim?
Hope it doesn't happen

I would suggest t-time children take priority. Don't know how parents would feel though.

FizzysFriends
21-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that a lot of my families would try to use family for the children to reduce costs so it may not be a problem.

wendywu
21-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I will be a lot richer if i had my afterschoolers full time for an extra month:laughing:

Twinkles
21-07-2009, 08:00 AM
After summer break?
Hope it doesn't happen

Don't forget a lot of term time only children will belong to teachers / school staff so the problem could be less than you think.

singlewiththree
21-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't forget a lot of term time only children will belong to teachers / school staff so the problem could be less than you think.

But then they might send them anyway as they are paying for it. Unless we do a bargain where they don't pay because we are filling their space with the hol child.

Mouse
21-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I can see a lot of childminders applying for variations for continuity of care if that happened!

I suppose there may be childminders like me who have over 5 spaces, but don't use them. If there was a big call for it, I could take on extra children until the schools open again.

I did see on one website that it said they may call on childminders to join a register of minders who have vacancies for this sort of short term care. I can't remember where I saw it, and I think it was probably local to one area, but it is something that could happen.

PixiePetal
21-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I can see a lot of childminders applying for variations for continuity of care if that happened!

I suppose there may be childminders like me who have over 5 spaces, but don't use them. If there was a big call for it, I could take on extra children until the schools open again.

I did see on one website that it said they may call on childminders to join a register of minders who have vacancies for this sort of short term care. I can't remember where I saw it, and I think it was probably local to one area, but it is something that could happen.

I have over 5 places that I don't fill anymore. Keeping them open for emergency care or ex mindees who need an odd day.

has this been posted before?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090721/tuk-call-to-close-schools-over-swine-flu-dba1618.html

Mouse
21-07-2009, 03:02 PM
That's an interesting article.

It will be a huge decision if they do decide to keep schools closed for longer. Many parents won't be able to afford an extra month of childcare, but businesses won't cope if they want to take the extra time off as well.

I have one mindee whose mum takes the whole of August off work. I have her son for the first week of the school hols, but that's it. It would cost her about £500 for an extra month of childcare and there's no way she could find that. But if she took another month off work (if they let her) it would be unpaid. She couldn't win either way!
This is one time when working from home definitely has it's advantages!

madasahatter
21-07-2009, 03:16 PM
My only thoughts on 'what if the schools don't reopen?' is........aaarrrggghhh, it will mean my lovely hol during the last 2 weeks of the school holiday will be wasted.......I won't stay all relaxed and refreshed for long! LOL

Mouse
21-07-2009, 03:55 PM
My only thoughts on 'what if the schools don't reopen?' is........aaarrrggghhh, it will mean my lovely hol during the last 2 weeks of the school holiday will be wasted.......I won't stay all relaxed and refreshed for long! LOL

Oh no! That made me realise I've got the first week back at school off as all parents have miraculously booked the same week off! I really hope they don't shut the schools :thumbsup:

Hebs
21-07-2009, 04:09 PM
if they close the schools for an extra month I for one will no longer ask for permission to take my kids out of school for 7 days for family holidays, they will be told :angry:

funny how them doing this wont "have a detremental effect on their education" :rolleyes:

if they were that worried they should have closed them BEFORE the schools broke up for summer not insisting on keeping them open :thumbsup:

OH and i thought we wern't supposed to panic :rolleyes:

Pauline
21-07-2009, 04:12 PM

That is good news. I was worried that they might also close childminders down if they were closing schools and nurseries, minding is our only income so it is a worry what we would do if they did :(

Hebs
21-07-2009, 04:15 PM
That is good news. I was worried that they might also close childminders down if they were closing schools and nurseries, minding is our only income so it is a worry what we would do if they did :(

i was just talking to my friend about this aspect :panic:

IF we have to close who will reimburse us our lost fee's?? and what will parents do for childcare :panic: it's ok for teachers who will be paid regardless

at this rate the UK is going to grind to a halt