PDA

View Full Version : To charge or not to charge?

Bananabrain
20-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi, I need a bit of input if you don't mind guys.

Longest standing mindee's dad has just told me he has booked mindee in for a sports course most of next week.

On his contract it says 'school holidays when needed' but up 'til now I always have him in the hols. {He doesn't pay anything for my hols unlike the others who pay half}

Asked him a few weeks ago if I was having mindee in the summer and he said yes. Have since turned away others as I only have a small house and don't think it's fair to have loads.

My question is : should I charge him in full for next week as he told me verbally that he needed me to have him?

Be grateful for opinions if you have time.

Allie
20-07-2009, 07:01 PM
It would be difficult to charge as your contract says when needed but I would complain about the short notice explaining you had turned away work. Then change contract so this does not happen again

Allie

Roseolivia
20-07-2009, 07:05 PM
How about charging him half and explaining to him why?

beckyteddy
20-07-2009, 07:16 PM
He obviously knew that he had booked him in with you otherwise why would he have told you about the sports course? Although, having said that I think he may not have realised that you would then have to turn others away and he possibly didn't think about the fact that he would then have to pay you if he didn't need you.....especially if this is the first time he has casually booked and then changed his mind.

Sadly, I don't think you can really charge if there was nothing in writing to secure the place. Maybe you should do a short term contract with this family as each school holidays approach, then they will have signed and commited to the hours and payment before you turn others away.

Daftbat
20-07-2009, 08:15 PM
It would be difficult to charge as your contract says when needed but I would complain about the short notice explaining you had turned away work. Then change contract so this does not happen again

Allie

I think this is the only way forward to be honest