PDA

View Full Version : how do you deal with?...

Hebs
20-07-2009, 05:41 PM
mindees that get on your nerves :blush:

i'm dreading having one in particuluar, as this child is NEVER happy unless they are the centre of attention,

i can't afford to give notice otherwise i would :blush:

:panic:

PixiePetal
20-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Grit my teeth, smile sweetly and think of the money :laughing:

sweets
20-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Lol, its the only way!:laughing:

nannymcflea
20-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd say "give notice"...but thats not very helpful!

I have one that has everything,has done everything,gets anything she wants and trys to get any other child into trouble.Luckily my own kids sort her out so I don't have to say anything very often!

Hebs
20-07-2009, 05:48 PM
shame i can't give notice to one without losing the other :blush:

Twinkles
20-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I have one in particular who really irkes me :rolleyes:
He's 5 but very babyish and speaks like a 2 year old ( he can speak properly ).
He also makes more 'playing' noise than the rest of them put together and is not happy unless I'm giving him all of my attention.

I'm finding it really difficult to bond with him.

I just put on my professional head and treat him as I do all the others. He gets the same amount of attention and praise ( sometimes quite hard ) and hugs when he wants them. In the hope that I will come to like him.

Hebs
20-07-2009, 05:53 PM
how long have you had him twinkles

Twinkles
20-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Since last September :panic:

Hebs
20-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Since last September :panic:

oh lol

mines been with me since May :thumbsup:

Winnie
20-07-2009, 06:10 PM
how old? if its a tiddly one then look past the behaviour to the child (i used to do this with one years ago- i had to remind myself just how young he was) Remember what it was like to be a child- that one works too. Now if you are talking school age thats another kettle of fish- i stopped doing that age after only a few years- school age children are just not my cup of tea :D

fionamal
20-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a 5 year old boy who I just cant take to . He comes for 2 days after schoool per week which I can handle but during the school hols its 3 full days and he is really getting on my nerves and today is the first full day ive had him. Cant bond with him at all but his older sister is so nice and lovely to be with. Even my 2 kids cant get on with him and hes going to be in my daughters class at school this year.

Have seriosuly considered not doing after school care as im finding it harder to bond with the older ones.

cabby
20-07-2009, 06:31 PM
i have a brother and sister, ive had them for 4 years and i still cant take to them:blush: :blush:, they have never been treated any differently to any other mindees, but sometimes it is SOOOO hard:panic:

Pipsqueak
20-07-2009, 06:50 PM
My 7yr old mindee is very babyish, in voice and manner (when he isn't try to raid my makeup bag and high heels lol), he has got to know everything being said, why its being said, he has a really whiney voice (until I remind him to use his proper voice), doesn't gel at all with the older children and bosses the younger ones about something chronic, reports on what people are doing or not doing!!!!
I just (as Twinks) put my professional head on and go with the flow (and think he is only a very young 7 and new to the setting
he is a lovely kid - loves cuddles (but a bit of clingon and tends to paw me and it makes me a bit uncomfortable) - just used to adult attention all of the time

Roseolivia
20-07-2009, 07:13 PM

This is what i have to do everyday.

Hebs
20-07-2009, 07:23 PM
he is 7,

he has to be the centre of attention, hates his 2 year old sister having any attention (and mum wonders why she cries non stop at home :rolleyes: )

he constantly competes against my son, hates being told :rolleyes: what to do, his way or the high way and it makes for a very very very long day when i have them from 7.30am until 9pm :panic:

don't think i'll take on more after school kids :panic:

FizzysFriends
20-07-2009, 07:26 PM
My 7yr old mindee is very babyish, in voice and manner (when he isn't try to raid my makeup bag and high heels lol), he has got to know everything being said, why its being said, he has a really whiney voice (until I remind him to use his proper voice), doesn't gel at all with the older children and bosses the younger ones about something chronic, reports on what people are doing or not doing!!!!I just (as Twinks) put my professional head on and go with the flow (and think he is only a very young 7 and new to the setting
he is a lovely kid - loves cuddles (but a bit of clingon and tends to paw me and it makes me a bit uncomfortable) - just used to adult attention all of the time

I have the female version of this, also 7. May be I should send her to you and they can whine to each other!

beckyteddy
20-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Grit my teeth, smile sweetly and think of the money

Me too!

I have one little boy who is a bit...well...pathetic:blush: He runs on his tip toes, falls over if the wind blows and panics if he tries to climb one step on the ladder to the slide. He is very sweet and plays wonderfully with all the other children, but if he is at playgroup and somebody jostles him or tries to take a toy from him he just collapses in a wet heap and cries very wetly!!

I do try to think of all his lovely traits and of how sweet he is and how kind and gentle, but when he tripped over a daisy today (no...really!) I did absolutely grit my teeth and think of the money!!

balloon
20-07-2009, 07:45 PM
The fact that he behaves like a baby suggests that he may be feeling pushed out by his baby sister. He would have been five(ish) when his sister was born, presumably just about being sent of to school away from mum and hey presto there's this little bundle of goodness that's come to take his place...

You don't see what goes on at home and its possible that the sister gets all the attention and the boy gets very little or very negative attention (don't do that you'll wake the baby, don't leave that toy there the baby will get it, don't push her over, oh xxx look at what you've done now...). parents (or carers!) often don't even realise this is happening and quite often do it totally unintentionally.

Try telling him how much you like his grown up voice and how helpful he is, how glad you are that you have a big boy to help. Do all you can to make him feel valued as a big person is all I can suggest.

If ll that fails, grit your teeth and think of the money, lol! ;)

edited to add:
OOps, just realised I've muddled up about 3 posts!!! Comes of trying to snatch two minutes on the forum whilst eating my dinner, lol!

As for the daisy tripped, I have a 19 month old like this, tell her no or look at her the wrong way and there's floods of tears, lol!

Hebs
20-07-2009, 07:54 PM
You don't see what goes on at home and its possible that the sister gets all the attention and the boy gets very little or very negative attention

Yes i do know what goes on at home as mum is my friend :thumbsup:
mindee aged 2 gets too much :censored: at home to the extent that i've been close to ringing SS on many occasions

i think this is one of the reasons why i can't bear the older one and they think the sun shines out of his backside, yet he is the most maniplutive 7 year old i've ever met :rolleyes: talks to everyone like :censored: and mum still thinks he can't do any wrong, yet 2 year old is "nothing but a whingey little :censored: who does mums head in" her words not mine :(

2 year old crys when she is taken home :( all she wants is some love from mummy :(

sarah707
20-07-2009, 08:12 PM

Yup...! :D

sweets
20-07-2009, 08:18 PM
i'm mean, i tell ythe children that i don't listen to whiney voices and when they talk properly i will answer them! it gets on my wick when they talk like babies and drone. one of my mindees regresses 2 years when mum turns up grr

mary poppins
20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
how old? if its a tiddly one then look past the behaviour to the child (i used to do this with one years ago- i had to remind myself just how young he was) Remember what it was like to be a child- that one works too. Now if you are talking school age thats another kettle of fish- i stopped doing that age after only a few years- school age children are just not my cup of tea :D

Just wondered how you avoid them! I feel the same would much rather just look after pre school but how can you give them up when you have had them with you since birth?

Shirlwith3
21-07-2009, 05:58 AM
I know the feeling I mind 2 sisters one is 8yrs is fine just abit bossy but that is her age, her sister is 4yrs old same age as my dd well she really gets on my nerves & why you may ask her voice she just can't talk normal so as she gets excited she gets louder & is screetching so I am constantly say K calm down , stop shouting.
I have given notice to this family but not for this eason but becasue the girls go to a different shool to my dd.

So I am bearing it & thinking of the money I only have them for 4weeks now.

Shirl

helenlc
21-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a 3 yr old full time mindee and his brother age 9 comes in the holidays. He is SO hard to please. No matter what I put out or where we go he has a miserable face and says he is bored and asks when we are leaving/what we are doing next.

Unfortunately I cannot lose him without risking Mum taking the 3 yr old too.

I have him this Thursday and Friday and then 2 weeks and then thats it. His dad has come on the scene and is having him for some of the holidays. I shouldnt really cheer but :clapping: :clapping: lol:blush:

Hebs
21-07-2009, 06:02 PM
:clapping:

well i don't have to deal with him until saturday at the earliest, mum rang last night to say youngest was poorly, and was gonna keep them both off
I was due to have them tomorrow too but have told mum i can't have youngest for 48 hours since last bout of sickness (as per my sickness policy) and she has said she'll keep them both at home

shouldn't be happy but :clapping: :clapping:

Cazz
23-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Me too!

I have one little boy who is a bit...well...pathetic:blush: He runs on his tip toes, falls over if the wind blows and panics if he tries to climb one step on the ladder to the slide. He is very sweet and plays wonderfully with all the other children, but if he is at playgroup and somebody jostles him or tries to take a toy from him he just collapses in a wet heap and cries very wetly!!

I do try to think of all his lovely traits and of how sweet he is and how kind and gentle, but when he tripped over a daisy today (no...really!) I did absolutely grit my teeth and think of the money!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That made me laugh!!

Carole x

Winnie
24-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Me too!

It might be useful to look at this- of course i could be very wrong.
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_symptoms.php