PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime

Banana
19-02-2008, 09:01 PM
What time to you out your kids to bed?

I was putting Isabelle (3) to bed at 7.30 but have overthe last week been experimenting with an earlier bedtime of 6.30... Has gone really well and she isnt getting up any earlier than she had been so effectively she has gained an extra hour sleep. It has done her the world of good.

Just curious to see if you think thats early as someone said to me 'thats a bit early isnt it' and made me feel like I was being unfair?

x

Lou
19-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Thats not unfair honey, she is probably really benefitting from that extra hour.

I am quite strict dring the week, but then lapse at weekends.

Saying that Izzy had tv for xmas and has been watching dvds in bed last few nights which i wouldnt normally allow but it is half term.

Josh is still up now watching liverpool with daddy.

From the age of Izzy being 6 months until about 3 and a half she went to bed at about 6pm otherwise she would fall apart lol

Rubybubbles
19-02-2008, 09:06 PM
My dd is 4 in Aug and most nights goes to bed 6.30pm-7.30am:D

ds 6 in March goes 7pm-7pm:D

Lou
19-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Have to say also during the week, as mine get older, i still want them in bed at a resonable time otherwise i might GO MADDDDDDDD lol

ajs
19-02-2008, 09:08 PM
if she sleeps well and doesn't wake up too early how can it be bad lana

my 3 have always gone to bed early sam used to go to bed at 6.30 but was up at 6 but it wouldn't matter if you put him to bed at 10 he would still get up at 6 and be a little sh*t all day now he goes to bed at 3-4 am and doesn't bother getting up during the day if he's not at college
my little one 15m stands at the bottom of the stairs and shouts SAM NOW at him until he comes down to say hello to her

peggy
19-02-2008, 09:26 PM
my youngest who is two is in bed usually bout 7pm 7.30 my eldest who is nearly seven is in bed by 8pm 8.30 very latest.

miffy
19-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I always used to put my two to bed by 7pm

If Isabelle is sleeping longer then putting her to bed early can't be bad can it

Miffy xx

berkschick
19-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Ella (18 months) goes up about 7pm and normally sleeps till 7am with an hours nap 10.30am - 11.30am.

The boys ( 6 & 10) go up at 7.30pm and are allowed a video ( bad Mummy!) until 8pm. I feel mean making a 10 year old go to bed at 8pm but he needs the sleep and is very active during the day. He is also an early riser (6am) no matter what time you put him to bed.

Alice (13) has lights off at 9pm much to her disgust! But then I have to wake her at 7.30am each morning so that is obviously more then late enough for her!

sarah32
19-02-2008, 09:55 PM
My two 5 and 7 years dont go to bed until 8pm.. Ive tried getting them to go to bed earlier but they just mess abut in there bedrooms.

manjay
19-02-2008, 10:12 PM
If she goes to sleep then Lana and stays asleep she obviously needs it.

My ds (21 mths) goes about 7pm, dd (8) about 8:30 and dd (15) whenever it takes her fancy!

amanda xx

sarah707
19-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Like Manjay says, if she's sleeping and happier for it, it's the right thing for her... everyone is different, there's no right or wrong answer...

My 2 are totally different - dd would party all night (and probably will when she's old enough!), ds needs 10 hours minimum or he's the child from hell the next day :D

Blaze
20-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Agreed there is no right or wrong...just what works best for individual children!
Tasha:)

Banana
20-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all your comments.

I have to say I think she is much happier for it and she wakes up in a lovely mood instead of being all grouchy with everyone. She now gets out of bed and wakes us up with a lovely little conversation about whatever random stuff she has to talk about that morning and is full of smiles. Before, she would wake up, moan a bit and then demand we get out of bed right now and get her milk!!

Its quite good really as she mostly sleeps through until 7.30/8am but occasionally will be up at 6.30 when Richard is off out early.

I just though i'd ask because if the comment I got that made me feel like I was just trying to get rid of her earlier at night

x

fionamal
20-02-2008, 02:39 PM
My two are aged 5 and 4 and they both go to bed at 7pm but can read a book or draw on their etch a scetch until 7.30 and then its lights out.

On a Friday and Saturday they get to stay up until 8.30pm .

Spangles
20-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Bed times area different for every child.

My son goes to bed at 7.30 and wakes between 7.30am and 8.00am but then he has two hours for a nap in the afternoon too so he gets LOADS of sleep but this doesn't worry me, if he needs it, he needs it as far as I'm concerned. He just takes after me - I'd sleep until midday if I could! I love my sleep!

I think what you're doing is fine, if that's what she needs then it's only right that that's what she gets.

crazybones
20-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a just turned 4 year old mindee who goes to bed at 10 pm with his older brother (who is 10) and it shows. He doesnt have a nap in the afternoon as he is at nursery and when I pick him up at 8.30 am she shoves 2 pieces of bread and a banana at me as he has only just woken and hasnt had breakfast. Total pain if I have planned to go somewhere straight after drop off at school. My just turned 2 year old is in bed between 6.30 and 7 and 8 and 10 year olds got to bed at 8 and read until 8.30. I still have to kick them out of bed in the morning though.

Annie x

ma7ie
20-02-2008, 02:48 PM
My dd 2yrs goes to bed between 6.30 and 7.30pm depending on how long she napped in the afternoon, but It's not very often later than that cos I need a break too. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/winking/winking0016.gif (http://www.ladies-shoes.biz/ladies-shoes/63889-1.html)

Marie x

devoncm
21-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I always used to put my 4 and 7 yr old to bed at the same time of 7 oclock, they used to have a dvd most nights as ellie 4 was asleep before it started and alysha 7 felt she stayed up later as she watched til the end, now tho ellie goes at 7 and alysha at about 8 and they only have a dvd at the weekend and holidays if they good through the week, sometimes when we have my partners 3 yr old we can get him and ellie in bed at about 6.30.

I wouldnt worry what others think if they are better for going to bed early and not getting up earlier then that must be good-and you get the extra hour to yourself.

LittleMissSparkles
21-02-2008, 10:41 AM
shes enjoying the extra hour Lana so dont woryy about it.... I wish Amy was that good at sleeping !!!!!!!!! xxx lucky you xxx

avril
21-02-2008, 11:33 AM
My 4yr old is usually in bed 6.00pm - 7.00pm but he's like me needs his sleep VERY MUCH!! My very nearly 2yr old is in bed for 7.00pm and then I can relax
GREAT:laughing:

Each and every child differs but I believe in children having a good sleep, not like one of my mindees who is just 4yrs old doesn't go to bed before 9.00pm every night has to be dressed and out the door every morning and it does affect her mood as the week goes on :(

Avril

charleyfarley
21-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Charley is in bed at 7 every night, she is allowed to read a book though before she goes to sleep.

Sleep is important especially when they go to school.

Mindee I have messes about at home and is often still up at 11pm on a school night and you can tell.

When I've babysat him I put him to bed at 7 and he is always asleep by 7.10 so he can do it.

Mitchell however is a monster and tries his hardest to stay up, he's normally in bed by 8 at the latest.

He is getting better though

Carol xx

Raggydolls
21-02-2008, 09:39 PM
my son is 9 and his usual bedtime is 8pm, has been for a long time, but now hes taken on activities every night of the week so for those nights hes abit later out hes in bed by 8.45 at the latest, on a weekend its 9pm, but hes in bed at 8 and can watch a dvd. he still gets up early no matter what time hes in bed tho :rolleyes:

thankfully he can sort his own cereal out at the weekend coz i love my bed

leanne
xx

Mollymop
21-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Your all so lucky getting your kiddies to bed early, mine don't go until 9pm. Timmy is never able to sleep until late (we are under the doc at the moment for it) so he reads for a little while. Caitlin is out like a light, but won't go off any earlier. It's difficult as we have to have tea late - about 6.30 as Darren gets home that sort of time, so I can't send them to bed for a few hours anyway. Got to let their tea digest.