PDA

View Full Version : Help - younger children

Helen79
20-07-2009, 12:27 PM
How do you deal with toddlers who ruin the older children's games?

Everything we've done today, my ds has got in the way of.
They've played with the bricks, the 4year olds have made lovely towers & castles & ds has knocked them all down so the older ones have got upset.

I can't get board games out for the older ones as ds pulls the peices off the boards or runs off with the dice.

I don't have room for a high enough table in the living room to stop ds spoiling their games.

I'm trying to keep ds entertained but he wants to play with the older ones.

Any ideas?

Daddy Day Care
20-07-2009, 12:30 PM
How old is you ds? is there an activity you can do that involves them all so ds isnt feeling left out?

Gareth
xx

Helen79
20-07-2009, 12:45 PM
he's 18months. There's loads of activities I can do but he always ends up ruining them :panic:
When the 4year olds are here for 8 hours it's not fair for them to be playing baby games all day, they want to play with toys their own age but can't at the moment.

The Juggler
20-07-2009, 01:19 PM
get them to build him some towers to knock down on the floor then let them build on coffee table or dining table and make sure he knows he's not allowed to knock them down. Or could you build with him whilst they are doing this sort of activity.

If they are playing board game, can you play something with him or sit him on lap and ask him to throw dice etc. It is hard though.

Louise_Oaktree
20-07-2009, 01:24 PM
This is tricky and I'm not sure what Mrs Ofsted would say about it but I have a Lindam Room Divider. It's like a baby gate across the room which separates my through dining/living room area. It works great because older ones can do homework at the table or play jigsaws etc and the little ones can't grab and throw everything! From the babies point of view too it means they have space to crawl and roll where the older ones can't trample on them!

This works for me although I try to integrate the children a couple of times each week. Today my toddlers have enjoyed joining in a game of Action Man, I had to hide the small shoes and things but they loved looking at the different men and taking their clothes off for me to put back on!

I try and do integrated play for all ages supervised, you have to be on hand to say stuff at the right time to try and direct their attention to perhaps a tower you have built especially for them to knock over.

jaja
20-07-2009, 02:19 PM
can you find an activity which both like, maybe junk making or sticking, maybe he is feeling left out and needs to feel involved more.... junk making is good and most ages get the hang of it xx

Roseolivia
20-07-2009, 02:50 PM
When my older mindee wants to play games we sit at the dining table while daughter and other mindee play in the playroom