PDA

View Full Version : Children before registering

clorogue
20-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Out of touch on this as I have been doing it for many years. Out of interest are new childminders allowed to have children before they are registered or just about to be registered. I am asking this because I have heard of a childminder through a parent that seems to be stringing them along saying she is getting registered (she has done the course) and she has children going already. Bit worrying as I personally don't think she is intending to!!

baksie
20-07-2009, 09:58 AM
As far as I am aware you cannot look after any children until you have a registration certificate on display showing your conditions of registration

sweets
20-07-2009, 10:00 AM
the only way you can take on children pre-registration is either to look after them free of charge or by looking after them in thier own home as a nanny.

Tinglesnark
20-07-2009, 10:13 AM
as far as i know as a pre-reg waiting for my crbs to go thru, im not even allowed to advertise for 'new recruits' untill i have that certificate in my hand let alone actually start minding...

x

sweets
20-07-2009, 10:15 AM
you can advertise pre reg as long as you state you are pre reg :)

Pipsqueak
20-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Nope you can't mind until you have your certificate ergo insurance

LeeAnn
20-07-2009, 10:26 AM
The officer who was to sign off my certificate was off so it was late in coming. When the CC called to say it wouldnt be here by the date they said I told them I had already told parents I could start. They gave me the go ahead to do it for the 3/4 days it would take to get my cert signed. I guess the certificate was printed anyway I just didnt actually have it

x x x x

Pipsqueak
20-07-2009, 11:53 AM
The officer who was to sign off my certificate was off so it was late in coming. When the CC called to say it wouldnt be here by the date they said I told them I had already told parents I could start. They gave me the go ahead to do it for the 3/4 days it would take to get my cert signed. I guess the certificate was printed anyway I just didnt actually have it

x x x x

Ofsted would perhaps do this - if you were upfront with them but technically its illegal to mind without your certificate

Emmylou75
20-07-2009, 01:38 PM
My inspector told me that i could mind children as soon as my number came through, as my crb check, insurance etc was already set up (in wales the pre reg inspection is the last thing they do). When I received my letter it stated my number and that my registration was effective from the day the letter was written (July 3rd) and that my certificate would follow shortly which needs to be available to show to parents. So if she's minding children without her reg number that's naughty!!!

mumof1
20-07-2009, 02:04 PM
As far as i know, childminders arent allowed 2 mind children in there own home before they are registered, IS IT NOT AGAINST THE LAW?

Im in the process of becoming registered and hopefully will be fully registered by sep/oct. But until then im a self employed nanny in the childrens own home.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
20-07-2009, 02:09 PM
you have to have your reg cert and insurance before you can mind

aly
20-07-2009, 03:53 PM
My inspector told me that i could mind children as soon as my number came through, as my crb check, insurance etc was already set up (in wales the pre reg inspection is the last thing they do). When I received my letter it stated my number and that my registration was effective from the day the letter was written (July 3rd) and that my certificate would follow shortly which needs to be available to show to parents. So if she's minding children without her reg number that's naughty!!!
Yes thats right...pre-reg was last here....Iwas insured from jan but reg'din feb....I could mind before my cert came in. my friend waited about 2 months before she has her cert and she was reg'd the same time as me.

Mouse
20-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Actually, I thought you COULD mind children before you were registered as long as you didn't take any money for it.

I know of a couple of people who have done it, got no money, but the parents paid it all once they were registered. The DO said it was OK.
I'd be very wary doing it though as you'd have no insurance, no guarantee you'd get the money etc. Maybe if it was for someone you knew it wouldn't be so bad, but I wouldn't do it for a new family.

Allie
20-07-2009, 07:05 PM
If you know someone is minding with out reg you must report it, if something happened those children wouldn't be insured and that 'chldminder' could lose her house, worst case senario

Allie

Tink
21-07-2009, 10:47 AM
It is illegal to look after children in your own home for money or even tokens such as flowers or chocolates.
The person doing this is obviously still waiting for CRB checks and won't have any insurance.
Although the child minder is going through this process, parents have nothing to come back on if anything happens, plus the child minder runs the risk of having her registration canceled and won't be able to register again.

mumof1
21-07-2009, 10:57 AM
you have to have your reg cert and insurance before you can mind

Your right abt the insurance, and yes you need to be fully reg. before you can mind children in your own home, but you can still mind children in the childrens own home, as long as your insured and pay tax and insurance.