PDA

View Full Version : somethin which really bugs me!!

littlepixies
20-07-2009, 07:45 AM
ok dont know where to put this or what i should actually do about so thoughts and feelings about it would be apprieciated..

I have been minding for over 3 years now and even before the eyfs have done lots of weekly plans, themes, ect. got loads and loads of poilcys and procedures in place. and my setting has always been simular to a nursery one with pictures, words and posters up everywhere....
I was inspected just 3 yrs ago in april and im expecting another full on inspection very soon.. i had a house inspection recently as i have moved which was fine....

Now what bugs me!!!! i have a friend who i met though a stay and pplay session who i became really close with she also is a childminder with two of her own..... but she always copies my paperwork, gets the ump if i come up with a idea and put it in place in my setting.. coppies everything really if she can.. i dont mind so much now but when living near her i did mind because she would get all the children over me using my ideas and get the credit for.
Not only this... she doesnt do any planning... never has!! not even now, i dont feel she follows any of what she should be. Her house is just a house.. nothing up on walls only her certificate because she states its her home not a nursery... she got satisfactory on ofsted 4 years ago now... because she wasnt doing what she should be in most areas..
since she has moved which was 2 years back this week she has not been inspected by ofsted and her registration is 4 years old so she should have been inspected at least for house move if not for her 3 review inspection???:eek:

may be im just being moody but it annoys me because she charges everyone different depending if their gettin tax credits or not as she feels its not them paying its tax credits! and shes doesnt do ANY thing with the kids and is one of these minders who we all hate... a stay at home mum doing it for easy money!! I hate being thought of as one of these because i love my job. and i work hard. i do alot of paper work even and studying for nvq too.,,, but just had to get it off my chest as it really is beginning to bother me!!!!

sweets
20-07-2009, 07:58 AM
it is very annoying when people copy your ideas to the letter and don't give anything back to you. Me and the childminders that i know share ideas and quite often all implicate them , but its fairly equal really. As for plans you don't really have to do written ones apart from next steps on obs, all planning should be child led now.
Some people don't like lots of pictures and info an walls and i think thats a choice that parents make when selecting cm, i don't have a lot up,( cert of course and a few pictures on fridge) but thats it. My house is very much a home setting rather than a mini nursery. Not saying theres any thing wrong with that though, its a personal choice and its good that people do different things so that parents can choose what sort of setting to place their child in.
As for you saying that your friend charges peopls different , That's awful, just because a parent earns more doesn't mean they shoud pay more! i have one parent paying £1 a day more than others but thats only because i raised my fees and i only do it for new parents and the other ones are leaving me soon anyway i didn't want to upset the apple cart.All new parents will pay my raised fees.

Daftbat
20-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, i understand where you are coming from. I share planning and info with another minder but its very much a joint effort and she does not attempt to take all the credit for anything, nor do i.

My home is not full of posters etc but i do have a door which i have used as a noticeboard/theme board for a while now. Its very much up to individual taste and i wouldn't be happy with looking too much like a nursery.

I hope that you can get past this and find a way of keeping your paperwork etc out of this other persons way so that she has to stand on her own two feet. It sounds like an inspection will be imminent for them so see what happens. There will always be people around who are like this so try not to let it stress too much.

nannymcflea
20-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I knew a minder like this a few years back, she copied my policies and parent info just before OFSTED came and got a good from it, after doing zip all herself, needless to say I do not see her any more, I felt totally used.

Now I have a fab friend cm and we help each other, theres nothing one sided about it and I shall miss her when we eventually move.:ohdear:

You are right to be cross, make sure she stands on her own two feet from now on.

balloon
20-07-2009, 05:20 PM
As for plans you don't really have to do written ones apart from next steps on obs, all planning should be child led now.

Are you sure about that?

Just wondering cos my inspector was really hot on planning in the short term for group stuff as well as individual based on obs. She did say long term planning wasn't necessary though.

I thought it was supposed to be a mix of child led and adult led activities too? Maybe I misunderstood? I know Ofsted can tell one of us one thing and the next another ... :rolleyes:

Confused, lol...

youarewhatyoueat
20-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Well if she comes on here and reads that lot, problem solved, 1 less friend to worry about!!!!

sweets
20-07-2009, 05:54 PM
It was what my early years worker told me last week!

Curly Quavers
20-07-2009, 06:24 PM
a stay at home mum doing it for easy money!!

I am a stay at home mum to be honest doing it for the money because I can still be here for my own kids but I am nothing like this woman. I feel I am doing the best in my capabilities and the care commission and my parents are happy with my efforts. I am not agreeing with how this woman runs her business, but remember it is her business.

What we need to realise is people are absolutely RUBBISH at jobs everywhere in every sector child mining is nothing different.

Yes is does :censored: us off but unfortunately what can we actually do about it?

Ripeberry
20-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I did not realise everyone hated SAHM Childminders? I bet there are a few on this forum. Fell a bit upset now :ohdear:

Tatjana
20-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I did not realise everyone hated SAHM Childminders? I bet there are a few on this forum. Fell a bit upset now :ohdear:

I don't....I am one too! :D My home doesn't look like a nursery either. :o

I don't think the op meant to offend anyone, she was filling us in on the whole background of the story.

xx

youarewhatyoueat
20-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Nor did I ripeberry, I'm a SAHM, and that's why I started childminding as it fitted in with my life and earning some money, what is wrong with that???
please don't be upset by a stupid comment like that,i'm sure were not hated by everyone.

sarah707
20-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Are you sure about that?

Just wondering cos my inspector was really hot on planning in the short term for group stuff as well as individual based on obs. She did say long term planning wasn't necessary though.

I thought it was supposed to be a mix of child led and adult led activities too? Maybe I misunderstood? I know Ofsted can tell one of us one thing and the next another ... :rolleyes:

Confused, lol...

The Eyfs says that you must offer a child a balance of adult led and child initiated experiences.

This includes planning activities to follow a child's interests AND planning things you know they will enjoy, taking the opportunity to do things linked to eg safety, seasons, the world around us, multicultural festivals, celebrations and events in the local community etc.

All of this should be done through a mixture of -

1. long term - celebrations, festivals, birthdays etc...

AND

2. short term - seasons, safety, books / numbers / letters of the month if you want to plan that way, fire station open day etc...

AND

3. individual planning for the child's interests, showing next steps etc...

By doing this you stand the best chance of keeping your Ofsted inspector happy...

If you miss any of this out, I truly think the children are losing out on valuable learning opportunities.

I am sure you do it anyway... you just need to come up with easy ways of writing it all down so you can fill your days with play!

I hope this clarifies your planning question.

As for stay at home mums, I am one too. I do not think littlepixies meant in any way shape or form to upset or offend any of us.

I think we must be very careful not to read things into statements that might come out wrong when typed :D

georgie456
20-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Nor did I ripeberry, I'm a SAHM, and that's why I started childminding as it fitted in with my life and earning some money, what is wrong with that???
please don't be upset by a stupid comment like that,i'm sure were not hated by everyone.

Yep I'm a SAHM mum/childminder too.

I never expected to fall in love the job as much as I have and am proud of the childminder I have become.
Every CM I know in my area, apart from two, started off because they wanted to be able to stay at home with their own young children - and they are all brilliant at what they do!

And my home does not look like a nursery either - I put up children's work alongside my own children's and have a noticeboard in my hall. Anymore, and DH would do nothing but complain about having to come home to a pre-school!!!!!

Pauline
20-07-2009, 09:07 PM
We are all stay at home mums aren't we? We don't go out to our work. I don't think Pixie was having a go at stay at home mums, she is having a rant, feeling stressed and was trying to get things off her chest.

We have all been there haven't we!

Daddy Day Care
20-07-2009, 09:09 PM
not quite all stay at home mums :p

Pauline
20-07-2009, 09:09 PM

:laughing::laughing:

sarah707
20-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Oh Gareth that's twice in one night isn't it!?!

You are just going to have to accept you are an honorary girlie on here and be proud :laughing:

georgie456
We are all stay at home mums aren't we? We don't go out to our work. I don't think Pixie was having a go at stay at home mums, she is having a rant, feeling stressed and was trying to get things off her chest.

Definitely! I've been there today! :D

sweets

NO i am not a stay at home mum! i don't think it makes any difference if you are or not, there are good childminders and bad childminders like there in any job.

Pauline
21-07-2009, 06:28 AM
NO i am not a stay at home mum! i don't think it makes any difference if you are or not, there are good childminders and bad childminders like there in any job.

So you do your childminding outside your home? Sorry I'm confused!

margimum
21-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I was a sahm when I first started cm, couldn't bear to leave my lo, but now I'm in a house of adults, so I don't class myself that way.
However I believe there are some cm who are not in it for the "long haul" and as soon as children are old enough for school will "go out" to work.
That doesn't mean I think they do any less a good job though!!
:)

cuffleygirl
21-07-2009, 07:56 AM
I am a stay at home mum childminder I offer a caring home based setting which I believe is an extension of the children's own home (without the chores Mum has to fit in - I do not get paid to do my cleaning/shopping etc) - I do with minded children what I do with my own children, outings, toddlers, crafts, active play, quiet chilled play and best bit is I get to spend more time with my own children (and get paid) and I make no apology for it! It is why parents choose me over the nursery and other more 'rigid' settings!

sweets
21-07-2009, 07:58 AM
So you do your childminding outside your home? Sorry I'm confused!

No i childmind from my home but i don't have my own children,lol so officially not a stay at home mum lol

Cammie Doodle
21-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I did start Chilminding to fit around my Foster Children, but they are all grown up and Im still here doing the job I love. :blush: As has been said before there are good and bad in all careers. Im proud to do this job and it gives me a reasonable wage, and so much pleasure with the LO I care for. I share planning, resourses and children with my co-minder Carolyn it all works really well for us.:)

jeanybeany
21-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Well said Pauline!

I have always worked in Childcare and gave up my job after the birth of my 3rd child to stay at home. I then decided to childmind as I needed to still be earning. In effect, I wanted to be at home for my children, it even says this on my website. I feel we are very lucky people to be able to be at home and still work.

Well done to everyone :thumbsup: