PDA

View Full Version : obs ! journal ! plan !

v 1461
19-07-2009, 08:03 PM
hi,
this is my first post and not sure I am doing it well !!
I try my best with all the paper work ( at last ) but I am not sure I have it all.

I have a portfolio ( for parents to look at) and an album : I included policies, cv, letters, procedure, risk ass.

I have a daily dairy for each child ( feed back, daily routine..)

journal for each child ( drawing , craft) should I put the observations ( with pictures and planning in journal for the parents to keep? or is that for me to keep?)

should I do assessement as well and put it in journal ( how often?)
never done it!!
for the assessement should I say all the things the child can do or just the progress in the year??

what else should I do?
where should I put the stuff for being healthy and safe??
Menu?write a page about what I provide for thes areas? do an obs?

I have been childminder for a few years and only start now about all these new things....Yes, I know...It is my fault.

thank you for your help

Tatjana
19-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm very new to everything!

I'm sure the more experienced cms will be along in a minute to answer your questions.

For the Learning Journals, the way i've started it is All ABout Me, then there's a bit of explanation on the EYFS, for the parents. For obs I observe, assess/evaluate, link to the EYFS and put possible Next Steps.

xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
19-07-2009, 09:14 PM
assessments go into the childs journal. for a full learning journey inc next steps etc one every 4-6 weeks prehaps but you can do little wow moments or postits of achievements activities as often as you want.

health and safety etc should go in both your portfolio and your parents pack hope this helps some

sarah707
20-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Your portfolio should contain things like your menu.

Risk assessments, training certificates etc can go in the portfolio or in separate files if you have lots ...

Children's files...

1. With contracts, parents information etc needs to be locked away...

2. With observations which are assessed (linked to the Eyfs) and next steps planning which are working documents.

The observations can be photos with quick notes attached, jottings of what the child has done or pre-printed forms, it's up to you how you work best.

The key is to make the paperwork easy so that once it is all in place you can do it while the child is playing.

I hope this helps and if you have any specific questions come back and ask!!

Welcome to the forum :D

Daftbat
20-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

This is what i do:
1. Daily diary for each child with spaces for feedback from parents and highlights of links to next steps in learning.
2. Record of achievement file for each child starting with "This is Me" sheet showing what stage the child is at when they start with me. Then i follow on with a "next steps in learning chart showing what they do now and what the next steps should be. I also put my formal observations in this file.
3. I have a scrap book for art work which i put things in that all the children have done to show an inspector a range of things and it is something i can keep in the future too. Some artwork is sent home but its surprising how much children just leave here anyway.
4. Contracts etc are in files kept out of the way of children and parents and visitors.
5. I have my portfolio showing certificates, CRB checks, references, car ins, ofsted report etc. and i have a parent pack which has copies of my policies and example menus as well as a blank contract and child record form and parental authority slips.

This system works for me and i find it easy to keep up to date. Everyone has their own way though so if something else works for you then great!

Chatterbox Childcare
20-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I do mine slightly different and have

File 1 is all information sheets and contracts (I can take this in case of emergency)
File 2 is Policies
File 3 is Risk Assessments
File 4 is Qualifications and Assistants
File 5 is EYFS and how it affects your child (for the parents)
File 6 Individual file for each child including their learning journal, 6 areas of development, observations, craft, working with parents and working with other settings
File 7 Ideas and suggestions
File 8 EYFS planning - current
File 9 EYFS planning - archive
File 10 Accounts including attendance sheets and expenses per year

Some childminders put all their childrens data in one file but I don't want to pass on invoices to the next setting or sort them out before they leave.

I would do daily diaries if requested but only one parent has said yes to this.

v 1461
20-07-2009, 11:29 AM
hi,
I can't beleive my post worked and some of you did answer it!!
Thank you for the great ideas and comments...

v 1461
20-07-2009, 11:33 AM
thank you for all the great ideas and comments..