PDA

View Full Version : do you offer funding places to 3 yr olds?

newandlearning
19-07-2009, 07:17 PM
hello.. am in the throws of setting myself up to offer funding places to my soon to be 3 year old..

- just wondering how many of you guys are already doing this?

- what are the benefits/disadvantages of doing this?

- does it make your life and setting a more fun place ... or is just another thing to do?

just wanting some feedback of ideas before I get into the deep end..xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I did do it but now I don't have any old enough

Advantages - everything planned out and I am organised

Disadvantages - no more than EYFS but a bit more structured obs - 1 every funded session

We are just piloting 65 2 year olds and the rate is £4.75 per hour - better than the 3 year olds and I am hoping that all funded places will be this rate.

Watch this space.

newandlearning
19-07-2009, 07:20 PM
I would love it if it were £4.75 .. I'm going to lose money doing the funding place but have been told you can offer 'wrap around care'.. not sure what that is yet..??

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2009, 07:25 PM
care either side of your funded sessions and I charge more for these as it is less hours

nannymcflea
19-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I am accredited but have no kids atm in the funding age. I did a record of achievement on my funded kids just as I do my "normal" ones taking into consideration the early learning goals when planning....mind you I haven't had any funded since the beginning of the EYFS.

Tired
19-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I used to do it, before EYFS. I doubt it would be more work now, cos I was doing obs etc then, just as we do now.

I am still accredited, but there is not much call for the service round here, most children this age get their funded places from nursery/pre-school.

When I did it I got 50p an hour more than my usual rate. It really benefited the child's parents most, cos they saved 3.50 an hour.

childmind04
19-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Im starting in Sept and it will work out at £3.43 an hour so slightly more than i get now, they are also talking about the 10 hours for 2 year olds but are not sure how this is going to work yet :)

My ideal would be 3 3-4yrlds in the morning then lunch off and 3 in the afternoon just like a nursery then just have a couple of slightly older before and after school and holidays to keep the pennies coming in :)

Dreaming arn't I :)

The Juggler
20-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I would love it if it were £4.75 .. I'm going to lose money doing the funding place but have been told you can offer 'wrap around care'.. not sure what that is yet..??

This means you have child whole day, providing day care before and after session but a funded educational session. I guess this could work if you charged a slightly higher rate for the wraparound care to make up for any loss between your normal daily rate and the NEG funding.

Good luck. Am hoping to do this too in January but as yet we don't have a local network so no parental choice there then!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
20-07-2009, 08:55 AM
This means you have child whole day, providing day care before and after session but a funded educational session. I guess this could work if you charged a slightly higher rate for the wraparound care to make up for any loss between your normal daily rate and the NEG funding.

Good luck. Am hoping to do this too in January but as yet we don't have a local network so no parental choice there then!!!!

It is coming - NCMA are working at having a network in every area.

childmind04
21-07-2009, 10:09 PM
we have been we can not increase any additional hours to cover our losses whilst doing funded sessions :(

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 10:44 PM
we have been we can not increase any additional hours to cover our losses whilst doing funded sessions :(

aah but you could just increase your standard rate!

newandlearning
22-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm beginning to feel more and more that this could make a loss for me, and lead me to being at home more doing sessions with LO .. and having to adapt stuff for the others .. also just to get on the network in our area there is loads of paperwork.. it can sometimes feel like they are trying to stop peep from joining the network.. and then I'd get paid less for more work.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

can anyone give me a reason why they have optioned to do funded places?

Cammie Doodle
22-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I did do it but now I don't have any old enough

Advantages - everything planned out and I am organised

Disadvantages - no more than EYFS but a bit more structured obs - 1 every funded session

We are just piloting 65 2 year olds and the rate is £4.75 per hour - better than the 3 year olds and I am hoping that all funded places will be this rate.

Watch this space.

Hi Debbie, can you tell me how much per hour the funding is for 3yrs old ?
Thanks June

hello kitty
23-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm just going through the process to become accredited and was told the rate in Norfolk is around £3.40. All paperwork required I had in place already so really it was just a case of showing it and explaining it all.

My existing parents are really happy I can accept the funding without them having to go onto to playgroup/nursery etc. :)

Cammie Doodle
23-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for that Kitty.

childmind04
23-07-2009, 09:42 PM
aah but you could just increase your standard rate!

Yes but could that not put off other parents wanting to use my services if my rate is say 50p more an hour than the rest? we have also been told we have to have clear pricing as any suggested rises to cover losses will be questioned!!!