PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 9 yr old?

hollybritten
19-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Havent got much experience with this age any ideas? 9 yr old girl?!

Thanks

breezy
19-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Your best bet is to ask her what her hobbies/ interests are and find out if she's a girly girl or more of a tomboy! Ask her parents too. She may well enjoy helping the younger ones if you're lucky!!

margimum
19-07-2009, 06:44 PM
lots of crafts, card making , anything involving glitter and glue. Scrap books,
making trinket boxes. Loads of things available at pound shops.
Cooking
Sounds like heaven to me as I love to craft, but it's not the same with 2 year olds!!
Oh and those **** electronic gadgets like PSP and Wii will be a hit too I bet( I hate them)

madasahatter
19-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I find they like doing anything creative...hama beads, baking, various kits, sewing, computer etc. Also they generally quite like to feel useful.....so asking them to do specific jobs in looking after little ones.....
'would you mind playing ball with X whilst I do this?'
With this age I do ask them to tell me what they want to do so that I can get the stuff in for them.....however in practice I've been asking them for 2 weeks now what they would like to do in the hols and haven't got any answers yet!

venus89
19-07-2009, 06:56 PM
What the others sais -lots of crafts and electronic gizmos. Also, my girls are really into Littlest pet Shop at the moment which don't take up toomuch room :clapping:

Jules27
19-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I look after 2 boys aged 9 and 10 at various points in the hols. Being typical lads they like football and rugby but also love drawing, painting, baking (this is a favouite activity!!!) going on the Wii, playing with toy cars, and also they love helping with the little ones:)

mushpea
19-07-2009, 07:54 PM
my daughter is 10 and she loves being the oldest one helping out with the little ones, also things like art and crafts, messy play, water play, reading, board games, puzzles, football, hama beads, playdough, cooking, making dens in the garden, lego, ello.
proably more but mind gone blank, most of our days in the hols are filled with outings to the park, childrens center, libary for the reading challenge and once a week we go to the zoo.
oh and we go over the woods for walks with the dog in tow, and the wii, ds etc

mushpea
19-07-2009, 07:56 PM
oh yeah and bratz and sylvanians, the polly pocketts that are bigger with stretchy cloths.

helenlc
19-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I would suggest asking her.

My DD is 9 and likes Hama, cooking, her DS and the Wii and helping with the LOs as mentioned above.

She also loves reading - Jacqueline Wilson, Jeremy Strong and Horrid Henry. And writing. Playing schools and shops.

She loves football, riding her BMX and going to the park, the trampoline etc.

She also still loves her baby dolls.

nannymcflea
19-07-2009, 09:01 PM
My eldest is 9, she likes all things everyone has mentioned....you are welcomed to her for a free trial....:laughing: ....she is also a bit hormonal too so be aware that your 9 year old may also be stroppy sometimes too.:eek:

The Juggler
20-07-2009, 07:01 AM
My eldest is 9, she likes all things everyone has mentioned....you are welcomed to her for a free trial....:laughing: ....she is also a bit hormonal too so be aware that your 9 year old may also be stroppy sometimes too.:eek:

ooh, yes I have two male ones of those - like having kevin and perry in the house sometimes.

samd35
20-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I have just started minding a 9 year old. She asked my almost 4 year old son if he would like to play shops, it kept her and him entertained for ages.

Sam x