PDA

View Full Version : what 7/8 seater car do you drive?

kindredspirits
19-07-2009, 09:00 AM
We were due to go and collect an Estima Emina today - which is the jap version of a previa. I love the cars and was really keen on getting it but at 11pm last night when i tried to swap the insurance over i found my insurance company won't touch imports :panic: when i did a new quote i found that most companies wanted about £900+ a year to insure one of these!!! i cannot afford that in a month of sundays, it was only going to cost me £250 to insure an old galaxy or alhambra etc.

So my question is what does everyone drive? I have found a school about 3 or 4 miles away from me that needs childminders as no after school club etc (all 3 local schools to me have massive afterschool clubs so no need for me and no work) so will hopefully really need a large car.

if you do drive an import who do you insure with/how much does it cost you?

thanks, anna x

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I have the Previa and it was imported I think - drrrrrr

Try Churchill insurance as they are great for me but as a Class G car they are high to insure anyway.

aly
19-07-2009, 09:05 AM
i USED TO HAVE THE PREVIA BUT IT WASN'T AN IMPORT. {sorry caps}
I did try to insure another car before which was imported but couldnt afford it. {luckily I hadn't bought it then}

I now drive a new Citroen C8 which is the peugeot 807 version.

Sarah also has the toyota but not sure if it is an import??

kindredspirits
19-07-2009, 09:06 AM
i suppose it depends if i can fill it really - i have worked out that with my current mindees i'd have space for 3 after schoolies in a 7 seater but if i COULD get a 4th then the extra seat would pay for itself insurance wise within 1 week a month leaving an extra £150 a month spare. just need to find the mindees now, i've got 1 who is really keen but could do with a couple more i think! :rolleyes:

sarah707
19-07-2009, 09:20 AM
We have had 2 Lucida imports now. They are great.

Your insurance company is seriously over charging you.

Try Liverpool Victoria or Morton Michel. We are with MM and pay a third of your quote!

Hth :D

mushpea
19-07-2009, 09:46 AM
i have a zafira and love it the insurance was actualy £20 cheaper for the zafira than on my old astra estate:eek:

Mouse
19-07-2009, 09:51 AM
We used to have an 8 seater Toyota import & althought the insurance was a bit more, it wasn't anywhere near that much.

You do need to phone insurance companies as a lot of them don't do quotes online, but will over the phone.

Also, search online for an Estima Owners Club forum. They often have a section on insurance & people give ideas on where is the best place to get insurance. For our old car, Liverpool & Victoria always seemed popular (though again, you had to phone for a quote).

MelBeck
19-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I drive a Toyota Reguis 8 seater which is an import, i had a zafira before that but found they don't have much room for buggy's and everything else.

I went with MM as they do offer a good quote and they do cover imports which a lot of them won't as others have said phone around as a lot say no on line as soon as you mention import:D

jeanybeany
19-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I have Zafira, very cheap to insure!

angiemog
19-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I have just bought a Vauxhall Zafira. I think my insurance was just under £200.The only downside is the boot is tiny. But I'm loving it other than that! Good Luck xxx

nannymcflea
19-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Fiat Ulysse, 7 seater, 5 star crash protection, can fit an umbrella double buggy and picnic stuff, bags, in boot with all seats in use. Costs me about £400 a year to insure.Has ISOFIX on 2 seats. I love it, especially the sliding doors, fantastic for tight parking spaces. :thumbsup:

TheBTeam
19-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a petrol galaxy and a diesel grand voyager, the diesel is more economical, and a bit bigger.

andreaschildcare
19-07-2009, 03:31 PM
i have a 8 seater fiat ulysse and love it! cheap insurance too :)

claireLouise
19-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I drive a Chsysler Voyager, and wouldn't swap it for the world. It is fanastic to drive and compfy, the kids love it.

Try around for isueance I am with Bluefin 01132185645 and my insurance is £500.

Good luck shopping around for insurance

Claire:)

Wiggly
19-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I also have a Vauxhall Zafira but agree - boot space is small when all seats up.

Wiggly
x

Amaranth
19-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I used to have a fiat ulysse too and I loved it, especially the sliding doors. The kids used to call it the bus!! :laughing: The only reason we sold it was because it didn't have enough power to tow our caravan :( It was not too expensive to insure somewhere around the £500 mark if i remember rightly.
I was insured with Morton Michel.

nannymcflea
19-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I used to have a fiat ulysse too and I loved it, especially the sliding doors. The kids used to call it the bus!! :laughing: The only reason we sold it was because it didn't have enough power to tow our caravan :( It was not too expensive to insure somewhere around the £500 mark if i remember rightly.
I was insured with Morton Michel.

Thats what my kids call it too "Katies bus"

I have the big engined diesel version but don't tow anyway but if I do give up cm, hubby wants to take my bus away and replace it with a smaller/cheaper/economical "car" ....me thinks NOT:thumbsup:

manjay
19-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I have a 54 diesel Galaxy and I love it. Not massive boot space with all the seats up but I can fit a double buggy and picnic. I am on the look out for a new one which ideally would have 8 seats, a sliding door and it has to be able to tow the caravan! Me thinks my requirements are a little too specific;)

venus89
19-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I shall be different.

I bought me a 7 seater Merc E Class estate yesterday. We needed a low car to fit the bikes on top

Boot space is great!

MelBeck
19-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Manjay,
That is what I have 8 seater diesel (it is a import) but I love it with the sliding door(only one side) we drove to holland in it and it was wonderful so don't give up keep looking:)

Deb
19-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I drive a Grand Voyager and seriously love it - I dont know how much the insurance is, about 54 a month I think. I have 5 children of my own so need the 7 seats anywho.

sophiestars
19-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I have a renault grand scenic - 5 seats with massive boot or you can pop up two extra seats in the back with enough room in the boot for a buggy and couple of bags etc. I love it - nice to drive and has isofix fittings, integrated sunshades etc. It's an 05 reg and is about £250 for insurance.

manjay
19-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Manjay,
That is what I have 8 seater diesel (it is a import) but I love it with the sliding door(only one side) we drove to holland in it and it was wonderful so don't give up keep looking:)

Just googled yours! I forgot to mention I also have a very fussy hubby but yours doesn't look a million miles away from his beloved VW;)

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
19-07-2009, 09:32 PM
hi, i have a ford s-max titanium 7 seater and it is a lovely car, great to drive, good value on fuel. Loads of room. would def recommend!! :o

brightstar
20-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I have an 8 seater Toyota Estima (import), it costs about £300 a year with Direct Line. Loads of space, but my 8 seater Toyota Previa has even more, I can fit 2 double buggies in it. The only downside with the previa is that the handbrake is on the right handside.

lnmrobbo
20-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi there,
we have an estima emina, we have ours currently insured through swinton insurance.

if you search on the net for insurance for imported cars you'll be inundated!

we love our car and are already looking at importing another as a second one, with 5 of our own children, we're going to need another one for childminding!

Lisa

kellywestie
20-07-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a T reg Citroen Synergie (I think the C8 is the replacement).

Sorry, can't remember how much insurance is but definately isn't high.

Very practical vehicle, known as 'The Tank!', has 7 seats, loads of seat configurations and the two front seats swivel round so you can face the rear if need to have a picnic in there if weather turns bad. The sliding rear doors are a massive bonus with all the kids and all the kids fight to sit on the rear 2 seats for some reason! Fairly decent boot space even with all the seats in.

Can't say I love it, much prefer my X-trail or the Subaru, but definately the ideal childminding vehicle in my opinion.

ZoeAlli
20-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi, I have an 8 seater petrol Toyota Previa. best things about it are the boot space and the room to move around- can get children in and out quite easily. Down side is that it can guzzle quite a bit of fuel if only doing short journeys.

Monkey1
21-07-2009, 06:01 AM
I have an 8 seater Nissan Largo which is great, but i LOVED my estima and cried when it got towed away!:blush:

cherry pink
21-07-2009, 07:03 AM
i've just bought a suzuki grand vitara xl7. it's a dream to drive and i love it and so do the kids, they have to draw lots as to who sits in the back lol, as they fight over it..

not a lot of boot space but can get my maclaren umbrella fold in no probs. seats 6 & 7 fold down and middle seats slide right the way forward....dont need 7 seats as only me and dd when i haven't got the little rugrats.. not too bad on diesal either..

word of warning morton michel car insurance wont insure it as it's classed as a 4x4..

atmkids
21-07-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm selling my Kia Sedona to another childminder and I've just put a deposit down on a Peugeot 807. Can't wait to pick it up on Saturday :clapping:

helenlc
21-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I used to have an 8 seater Toyota Previa - loads of space and massive boot. A bit battered on the outisde tho (not me!) but I loved it.

Now have a Ford Galaxy 7 seats - lovely car but small boot really when back seats in use.

Am thinking of selling it and going back to a Previa as I miss the general space and the extra seat. (Havent told hubby this tho!!!:blush: )