PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information with other settings.

Harryblackdog
18-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and to Childminding and its great to hear your views!

I was a Nursery Nurse in a school but left to bring up my son. I am doing my Early Years Foundation Degree at the moment and would really appreciate your views on how other settings react to the information you have to share with them about the children you mind.

I am also researching the effect EYFS has had on the practice of childminders - I am sure you all have something to share on this point!

Would love to hear your views.

Thanks

chewy sweets
18-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and to Childminding and its great to hear your views!

I was a Nursery Nurse in a school but left to bring up my son. I am doing my Early Years Foundation Degree at the moment and would really appreciate your views on how other settings react to the information you have to share with them about the children you mind.

I am also researching the effect EYFS has had on the practice of childminders - I am sure you all have something to share on this point!

Would love to hear your views.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum!:thumbsup:
Can't help on the EYFS as i'm in wales and thanks goodness we don't have that here!:clapping:
Hopefully someone will be along soon with some views to share with you!
Welcome again!:thumbsup:

MelBeck
18-07-2009, 03:54 PM
so far EYFS brings stress as not very brough( i live in london) is giving childminder the same help and support in the transittion :angry: also all the help i've had has come from this forum and i hav told other about it :clapping:

The Juggler
18-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome.

We have no network and a do who knows nothing about childmding. Everything I have learned has been through studying, reading and now this wonderful forum.

Happy to fill in any questionnaires for your research project. Where are you studying? I've just finished my FD and going on to complete 3rd year. I did my reserach on how future training can enable childminders to provide a more enabling learning environment. It was fascinated and very revealing and really brought out how rubbish the training currently is.

ORKSIE
18-07-2009, 04:19 PM
When children start plat group I fill in a transition form, this shows the new setting where the childs areas of development are at that time. Whether they used it or not I dont know. But it is a requirement in EYFS so I did it.
I have found EYFS quite easy to get to grips with, but I have had lots of support from a CM colleague of mine, and of course this fantastic forum.
hope this helps Harrybd:)

sarah707
18-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Working with other settings can be a huge problem for some childminders... less so for others.

If you have other settings who also value the Eyfs and want to achieve good Ofsted inspections, they tend to be more accepting of requests to work together.

Hope this helps! Not sure what kind of depth you want :D

The Juggler
18-07-2009, 05:18 PM
i didn't answer your original question though. and noticed how rubbish my spelling/typing was!

I have only recently started sharing info with other settings other than parents. It was nerve-wracking giving my first EYFS report to a nursery (for a child going on to reception).

Also have this year been requesting info for my mindees, copies of nursery IEP targets so I can mirror at home. They have been more than welcoming so far.

rickysmiths
19-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have had two mindees in reception this year and the teacher was even reluctant to share a weekly/monthly/term topic. Definately nothing else as I was not the parent! Mind you both parents have been more than willing to share but the info they have been given is little in terms of EYFS.

I asked both parents if they would mind sharing the childrens Profiles so I could plan holiday activities and both were fine with this, trouble is they haven't been given copies of a full Profile.

One mum is a Teacher and she when into school with the pages copied from the Statutory Bit of EYFS and the teacher said, yes we have done all that and we will be sharing with the Yr 1 teachers but I don't know how to print it off for the parents so we haven't given it to them :eek:

One of the mindee goes to Pre-school. It took until after the May half term for them to share infomation and they gave me copies of a blank Learning Journey and an assessment sheet and the Terms Planning grid. Trouble was they were all the old Foundation Stage paperwork, no mention of EYFS :eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I have one mindee who was at nursery and now is moving to Rec. I wrote to the school nursery introducing myself and I had a letter back saying that they would be happy to share. I get a copy of their newsletters and each day before and after the session the teacher and I disucss how things are going. No paperwork and if it is important I pass a message on to mum and if need be I put it in their journal.

I will introduce myself to the new teacher and see how things progress.

Myself, I find the EYFS a good thing for children as the whole system has made me think, plan and be organised which all benefits the children. I did far more with Birth-3 though.

No one likes paperwork but I now have mine down to 10 minutes per child per month but I do have a lot of post it notes to work from and photographs to help.

EYFS gets the thumbs up from me but I know that others are struggling and more help is needed at ground level.