PDA

View Full Version : to NVQ or to not NVQ?

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
17-07-2009, 07:10 PM
hi guys

just wondering what u guys think, ive been wondering whether or not i should do the nvq in childcare or not.
I have a degree with hons in psychology which included modules on developmental and advanced deveopmental psychology (all about how child develop learn through play etc) so i dont know if the nvq would be an advantage to me or not considering i have just had a baby and like lots of you dont have any spare time on my hands

what do u think?

Ripeberry
17-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Why not go for the professional status. Lots of counties are funding it for free and its one of the best qualifications to have at the moment.

nannymcflea
17-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Why not go for the professional status. Lots of counties are funding it for free and its one of the best qualifications to have at the moment.

I agree, having just finished my NVQ3 I think if you have already gone past this you will find it pretty boring...I did and I have no higher education...

CCJD
17-07-2009, 08:26 PM
It really depends on what you are looking to do longer term I guess. If you are looking to follow a career that is still child centred but not necessaraly childminding, then the qualification may help you access certain professions ( in schools or social care) that demand a more direct early years qualification.
I did the OU level 4 qualification and found this very useful in reflecting on my practice and practices rather than simply teaching me about child development. It was much more about making me examine what I currently do and how I can improve it.
I am sure you don't NEED the NVQ, but you may still find it useful. I am however sure that qualification will be high on the agenda with most LA's for a while yet so I am sure that if you take a moment to enjoy your baby, you can always take the offer up later.