PDA

View Full Version : ideas to encourage writing

mushpea
17-07-2009, 05:43 PM
need some ideas of how to encourage my 8yr old son to do some writing, he has trouble gripping the pencil correctly and his hand writing is unreadable, he has some sensory difficultys and he is being assesed for dysphraixia, he also has socialization problems but thats another thing .
anyway i need some fun ideas which to encourage his writing and pencil control, the teacher has suggested using fingers in sand to write, painting, clay or playdough to get his finger mucles working properly but trouble i have is because of his sensory issues he dosent like any kind of messy play and detests sitting down wrting. I thought all the children could do a diary for the holidays and they can all write at least one line in it each day but stuck for other ideas. the teacher is pushing to get the sen teacher to help but apparently he is just that little bit to good for sen but no where near the write leval for his age.
any ideas gratefully recived

nannymcflea
17-07-2009, 05:50 PM
what about using scissors to cut magazines up to make a story or diary, could he write a few words or type them and print them off?
Perhaps getting him to enjoy words and make a cartoon on the pc would encourage the next step of writing.

Good luck,let us know what works best for him.

The Juggler
17-07-2009, 05:52 PM
what about an easel/blackboard so he can write standing up. Funky glitter pens.

Even drawing with pens may encourage pen control needed for handwriting. I have a child who was similar and has just been diagnosed with sensory complications. It's not her motor skills at all but her visual motor perception.

With her she needs big pressure to relieve the overwhelming feeling of all the small sensory experiences she picks up.

What about something where he is tracing in something he has to push hard. I can't think what. Maybe using a stick to trace in heavy thick goo. I know letters won't stay and will disappear again but will build up his hand muscles.

Also those stress balls to squeeze, not messy and will help the muscle development.

Good luck. let us know how you get on.

FussyElmo
17-07-2009, 06:32 PM
My goodness that sounds like my son. My senco told me to give him paint brushes outside. Scarves to make the big loops. Sand water etc but if he doesnt like messy play.

I also use cbeebees website as there is a game called dancemat to practise his typing skills - he adores this so we have also got a mavis beacon program which also encourages typing which again he loves.

We also are also using the toe by toe book which is more for dsylexia but is excellent.

On his homework we went back to basics I would write his sentences and he would trace over them in pen and gradually we introduced him writing one etc.

I also use a sen website

http://www.senteacher.org/

which has loads on.

Mouse
17-07-2009, 07:17 PM
How about fixing lots of paper (plain wallpaper or backing paper) to a wall, (probably best if it's an outside one!) and giving him a selection of brushes, paints, chunky marker pens, chalks etc and telling him it's his graffiti wall. He can do whatever he wants on it - writing, pictures, make up his own 'tag' etc. It could really appeal to an 8 year old boy.

youarewhatyoueat
18-07-2009, 08:28 AM
sqeezy bottles filled with water to write on the floor fences etc, sqeezy balls to throw, anything that helps to develop the sqeeze/let go action will help develop his grip.

Moominmomma
18-07-2009, 09:40 AM
When I was teaching I used to get the kids to lie as still as possible, sounds silly but it makes them concentrate and control their muscles. Also, lots of finger exercises, like we do with little ones, incey wincy spider etc.

Have you heard of brain gym, this is good for co-ordination ask at school they might have some info on that or google it.

And writing for a purpose, something he wants to write, pencils are good because you can feel it more on the paper.

Hope this helps,

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2009, 09:45 AM
I went totally away from holding the pencil to more fine motor skills practice

A teacher suggested an empty washing up liquid bottle and filling it with water. We spent hours in the road making shapes. Also bubbles - can he jump and pop them with just 1 finger? Mini skateboards around a jump track - here the finger must stay on the skateboard or it won't move.

Think outside the box and there is loads of fun to be had and as we all know, kids learn through play!

mushpea
18-07-2009, 10:48 AM
wow thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas will definatly being using them and looking at the websites too.