PDA

View Full Version : How much TV?

allinatiz
19-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Woohoo! An early finish for me so time to pop on here before I start tea :)

Just curious really, how much TV do you let your mindees watch if any?

sandy
19-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I don't have a tv in the rooms I use for minding but we do use the computer occasionally to look at cbbc websites etc.

My own children are 14 and 17 so I am quite out of touch with kids tv but i'm sure there are some good educational programmes on that would be of benefit.

I know my mindees like night garden and lazytown as they talk about it. I tend to buy themed puzzles and action figures to keep them happy. Just bought Stephanie from lazy town and that went down very well :jump for joy:

Every cm works differently

Sandy x

littletreasures
19-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Some days they don't watch any as we are too busy in the mornings and they sleep in the afternoons.

If we are at home, they tend to watch about 1/2 hour while having a snack.
The tv does tend to go on after school as school aged mindee just wants to chill out as she has just started and is shattered when she comes home.

Wish the same can be said for my own kids.
Jules

Twinkles
19-02-2008, 05:26 PM
If we're at home the littlies watch cbeebies while they have their mid morning snack. After schoolers can watch one or two programmes when they get in from school if they want too. Sometimes they're tired and want to chill out and sometimes they want to get involved with whatever me and the littlies are doing or go mad on the trampoline.

Angela234
19-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Its not very often i have the tv on maybe 1/2 an hour once a week its not that i don't let them they don't ask for it on a new child may to start with but they are so busy doing other things evan quiet times is listening to story cds or looking at books. If they are a bit restless and i'm trying to dish up lunch i will then put tv on until lunch is ready. I might have it on a little bit in the school hols if we can't get out maybe a couple of 1/2 hours a day.

Angela

Blaze
19-02-2008, 05:30 PM
If we're at home the littlies watch cbeebies while they have their mid morning snack. After schoolers can watch one or two programmes when they get in from school if they want too. Sometimes they're tired and want to chill out and sometimes they want to get involved with whatever me and the littlies are doing or go mad on the trampoline.

Same!
Tasha:)

sarah32
19-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I normally have it on for about 1/2 an hour in the morning, and then when my two get home it normally goes on then but I only have a 10 month then and he has no interest in tv at all.

sarah

miffy
19-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I usually let them watch TV for 1/2 hour after lunch that gives me time to grab a sandwich if I haven't eaten with the children or if I did eat with them to wash up - rarely manage both :laughing:

Then occasionally after school although atm the older ones would rather be on the computer

Miffy xx

emler
19-02-2008, 06:00 PM
We don't really watch much tv at all during the day. My after schoolers aren't really fussed either - they would rather join in with what the younger ones are doing or use the computer for a bit or get their homework out of the way!

Emler x

manjay
19-02-2008, 06:03 PM
We don't really watch much tv at all during the day. My after schoolers aren't really fussed either - they would rather join in with what the younger ones are doing or use the computer for a bit or get their homework out of the way!

Emler x

We don't do TV either. That's why I had no idea who Granny Murray was.

amanda xx

Pipsqueak
19-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Probably about 10/15 minutes in a day - it depends really. Its rare the tv is on in our house!

sarah707
19-02-2008, 06:26 PM
First thing the older mindees like to chill.. and again after school - I do a few aged 5+ through the week...

But during the day for the little ones I try to avoid it... though if they are tired etc then I don't have a massive problem with short bursts of programmes... just not catatonic sitting there :D

HilaryT
19-02-2008, 06:30 PM
We hardly watch TV either. Sometimes on a Friday after lunch if I have a tired toddler on his own he watches a selected toddler DVD or video and sometimes of a later evening when I have one older child left on their own after 5.30 pm. But who needs TV when there's so much to do??

Hilary

ajs
19-02-2008, 06:30 PM

no trampoline but if we are here on our own i put the tv on while we eat lunch i find csi and law and order keeps them enthralled but they prefer er

no seriously we watch something special and me too if they are on at lunch time and then switch off. the kids expect it now and it does mean that lunches are quiet and relaxing and they do seem to eat more.

Pudding Girl
19-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Not in that situation yet having no mindees, and I too am totally out of touch with what programmes are on offer, my own kids are 13 and 16!

I'd anticipate watching maybe one short programme a day ( obviously not if we were otherwise engaged of course) at quiet time after lunch - could anyone recommend some good quality children's programmes? I have Sky :)

Lou
19-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I normally just put cbeebies on for a bit after mindees have eaten their lunch so they can chill out while i have a quick sandwhich or tidy the kitchen

allinatiz
19-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I should probably answer my own question too!

We normally watch Something Special at 9 after the older ones have gone to school but then it depends on what we have planned for the day. If we are in and not up to much we'll also watch In The Night Garden as it's a favourite of both my mindee and my daughter.

I also use the music channels and the radio channels for us to dance to as a change from nursery rhymes!

avril
19-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I normally just put cbeebies on for a bit after mindees have eaten their lunch so they can chill out while i have a quick sandwhich or tidy the kitchen

Ditto !!

Avril

Banana
19-02-2008, 08:15 PM
We watch something special and in the afternoon we normally have a half hour of dora the explorer on nick junior.

On rainy rubbish days we maybe pick a dvd too but I have been thinking about cutting outthe tv altogether because the kids dont respond to me at all when its on!!

xx

peggy
19-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Woohoo! An early finish for me so time to pop on here before I start tea :)

Just curious really, how much TV do you let your mindees watch if any?

my preschooler doesnt watch much a day, to be honest we're too busy! If he does watch some its when he is laying on my sofa dozing off for his nap, and thats about 15mins - 30 mins max.

My after schooler however loves her tv, and could be about an half an hour to an hour and a half depending on what i have planned for her. Sometimes thats all she wants to do, and i dont force her into doing loads of activities after she has been at school all day!!

jaz
20-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I care for 1 child who would have the tv on all day long if she was allowed it! It did cause some issues - her screaming to have the tv on and me refusing, but things settled down after a while, and now she accepts that its only on for short periods of time eg snack time.