PDA

View Full Version : spoke to inspector about what is expected... planning

littlepixies
17-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi guys....

When ofsted inspector come out couple weeks back i asked her if she could give me a rough idea on what planning ofsted actually expect from us minders as i cant get on any intial training and a little be confussed about what i should actually be doing planning wise as ive been off along time!!

Her answer was.... start my doing mini observations on the child which should take a min. Can do it on postit.. scrap paper, anything to hand...

From this you link with the eyfs.... and write extension as your planning on activity to help develop that childs indivdual needs....

Their is no min or limit to how many obs you do a day, week or month as long as your showing you are doing them and then linking and making an extension plan......

which got it clear finally in my head.....

I need to observe the child.... then link it to part of eyfs then plan an activity which will build from this.

she said it doesnt have to be written a million times all nice a neat it can just be the first copy which you done and stuck in a scrap book!

she said observations can be a write up , photo, picture, painting....

Alot of friends who are childminders have spent soooo much time panicing about their planning..... copying it time and time again so its all nice looking!! which they are A.. PANICIING over nothing.... and B making more work for them selves.

so im happy .... shes brooke it down to basics lol no more complicated bits and bobs flying round my head feeling all confussed lol

Roseolivia
17-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Good to know, this is what i do anyway, the less paperwork the better in my opinion. Thanks

sweets
17-07-2009, 12:24 PM
thats right, i was told that we don't need to mid or long term planning any more all we have to do is next steps on our obs. EVERYTHING should be child led and not planned by others, we should only plan our activities around what the child is interested in at the time.

Hebs
17-07-2009, 01:03 PM
my obs are very simple, basic but to the point :thumbsup:
link these to the EYFS
and list next steps for that child

I do NOT have mid or Long term Planning
but
I do have a monthly "theme"

my inspector was very happy with that :thumbsup:

sweets
17-07-2009, 01:15 PM
that sounds a good idea having a monthly theme Hebs, i might pinch that one!:)

sarah707
17-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds like you spoke to a sensible inspector :D

PixiePetal
17-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Sounds like you spoke to a sensible inspector :D

If only they were all like that!

Daftbat
17-07-2009, 02:55 PM
My inspector was wanting things along the same lines and luckily thats how i had interpreted it too. I used Sarah's ebooks to help with the documents and monthly planning themes which are great. The monthly theme means we always have ideas about what to do with arts and crafts etc. and makes things more interesting as i was starting to get in to a rut.

littlepixies
17-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Yea... i use to do monthly themes now back on childminding will definately do monthly themes just because it gives a bit of background.

I have a large display board whic i intend to now use to put up a nice monthly display!

Recently moved you see... and going to start minding again after having a year off!

Have a large area which is dedicated to minding which im sooo grateful for as we use to be in a tiny 2 bed flat so their was hardly anyroom for us let alone minding work!
Now in a large three bed house we have plenty. once all organised and set up ill add some pics of area so you can all have a nose!

Do we have any posts where we can all place our theme and ideas ???
or maybe we could do a joint monthly theme where we decided on a theme all do it and post ideas ect which we can all use??

sarah707
17-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Do we have any posts where we can all place our theme and ideas ???
or maybe we could do a joint monthly theme where we decided on a theme all do it and post ideas ect which we can all use??

Trying to remember where I was talking about htis recently... was it ******? Yes I think so...

They were thinking about setting up a twitter page for childminders to access ideas of what other childminders were doing...

There are some useful posts in activity ideas as well... :D

Nicki L
17-07-2009, 08:35 PM
sounds like i doing enough then. i was a bit worried as all i do is an observation which is linked to EYFS then next steps.

I dont do any planning. I might start doing themes though now that mine are a little bit older and more interested in things now!!!!

Thanks for the clarification.