PDA

View Full Version : Chidminders Daughter and the press

rickysmiths
17-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I heard yesterday that the Childminders daughters who sadly died of flu last week and was apparently fit, had a heart condition. The Gp who died also had underlying health problems.

Someone should stop the press anouncing these as deaths of heathy people and so causing panic in the population. Apparently after these two cases help lined were inundated as were GPs etc and none of that need have happened if the press were accurate and honest in their reporting instead of scaremongering it is totally unacceptable and some of the editors should be hung out to dry.

Maybe if we all stopped buying the papers and going on their web sites for a week they would learn a lesson?

wendywu
17-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Well i must admit that makes me feel a bit better. The media should be fined if they dont act responsibly towards the public.:mad:

FizzysFriends
17-07-2009, 08:32 AM
There was another reported today of a apparently healthy 6yr old boy in Kent dying on Wednesday, think they should wait until they have ALL the fact before reporting.

Im finding the figure of 65.000 dying from it quite scary.

wendywu
17-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I know i have just seen that one :eek:

aly
17-07-2009, 08:42 AM
The press are blooming useless with the reports. Its things like that that cause the mass hysteria.

Mouse
17-07-2009, 08:42 AM
The press has a lot to answer for :angry:

I was listening to an interview with a flu researcher last night & he said that the upper estimate of 65000 deaths is way over the top, but that no doubt the press would pick up on that. Sure enough, all the papers today are quoting that figure.

And of the deaths so far, not all have died because of swine flu. Many have had it, but that isn't what killed them. The GP was a good example. He had lots of health problems and died from natural causes, he just happened to have swine flu as well. But of course the press causes mass panic by announcing that he was perfectly healthy.

I've made the decision today that I'm not going to read anymore swine flu stories in the media :clapping:

Pipsqueak
17-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I think they have given the 65000 figure as a worst case scenario, the minimum level of death they predict is 3000 which is roughly the same as in normal flu season. Sorry I don't mean that to sound so callous - any deaths will be extremely sad and tragic.

They also put out on the news, which I find awful about people self-diagnosing their symptoms and then being able to get the treatments based on this. Ok so how many people are going to lie about symptoms just to get hold of the treatments:(

Again the media are being very irresponsible in reporting this and its scaring people. Yes we need to know of course but I do think there are high levels of 'excitement' about this in the media:angry:

Mouse
17-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm sure the MPs are loving it. Before swine flu hit the news all the media attention was on their expenses claims.
I bet they couldn't wait for something to take over from that :laughing:

Hebs
17-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm sure the MPs are loving it. Before swine flu hit the news all the media attention was on their expenses claims.
I bet they couldn't wait for something to take over from that :laughing:

:laughing: I Know

and i'm wondering how many of these "confirmed cases" do actually have swine flu?

a mum i know went to the GP, he said she had a cold, 4 days later it was confirmed in the school she rang back, GP said yeah they are the symptoms so i'll put you down as a confirmed case :rolleyes: honeslty
they should still be testing, then we'd know for sure how many people actually have it :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
17-07-2009, 12:24 PM
it is crazy how the press are jumping and making everyone panic.
it is very sad that people are lsoing their lives and we were led to believe healthy people were now dying too then facts come out stating those who have lost their lives did infact have other health issues too.

it doesnt make it any easier though knowing that apparent healthy people will recover yet others may meet their end. a firned of mine has made herself housebound in fear as she has health issues and this swine flu will most likely finish her off, i wonder how many others ahve become housebound in fear.

Hebs
17-07-2009, 12:28 PM
i hope loads make themselves housebound for the next 6 weeks then we can go out and not be crushed in the crowds :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mouse
17-07-2009, 12:36 PM
i hope loads make themselves housebound for the next 6 weeks then we can go out and not be crushed in the crowds :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Every cloud has a silver lining :D

Pipsqueak
17-07-2009, 12:48 PM
:laughing: I Know

and i'm wondering how many of these "confirmed cases" do actually have swine flu?

a mum i know went to the GP, he said she had a cold, 4 days later it was confirmed in the school she rang back, GP said yeah they are the symptoms so i'll put you down as a confirmed case :rolleyes: honeslty
they should still be testing, then we'd know for sure how many people actually have it :thumbsup:

exactly exactly exactly.

Nicki L
17-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I am finding it all a bit scary. The press should hold fire until post mortems are carried out, going around saying that healthy people are dying is just scaring the nation.

Also i agree that they should be testing - we need exact figures, diagnosis over the phone is not good enough.

I would also like to know how serious the underlying problems have to be - do they have to be really serious or is somebody with asthma and everyday illnesses at more of a risk?????

I dont think there is enough information out there.

zillervalley
17-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree i am also finding it a bit scary, hope they get their facts right