PDA

View Full Version : would you charge

mushpea
16-07-2009, 06:26 PM
if a mum goes on mat leave and then def wants you back a year later what would you do, do you charge for the space or try and fill it then let that parent down when the others come back , dont know the best thing to do as the mum is also a freind but i cant afford not to work

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
16-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a similar problem one of my mindees mums is going on ML for 6 months but wants me back for the origional child and the new baby but cant really afford a retainer. She is a fantastic mum who i get on really well with (she even pays me when im sick) so because of this im keeping 2 places open out of the goodness of my heat

More fool me i know

:littleangel:

HomefromHome
16-07-2009, 06:50 PM
i wouldnt charge as its so long, but explain to them ok will keep a place for you, but i will fill it for the time you will be gone - if you explain this to potential new parents as well (i can offer you a six month/year contract only), then it makes it easier all round and everybody knows where they stand. i have just done this so it does work - childminders never know whats round the corner as dont the parents, so dont be skint and fill temporarily.
:)

The Juggler
17-07-2009, 12:53 PM
i had to let a child go recently because of this. I couldn't afford no pay or the risk of not finding temp contract and she coudlnl't afford to pay retainer. It was very sad but we still meet up and see each other.

kingdom
17-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I am in the same situation, i am losing a full timer as mum is on maternity leave, they want me to have the baby next sept and have the original child one day a week from this sept until easter when she will start school full time at 2.5 years( private school):eek:. But I have had a visit today from a new parent who wants care for one child from sept and next sept for two children so this family will be better for me, also original mum is difficult to say the least and will not pay a retainer.

Daftbat
17-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I would charge a retainer if the space is deifinitley needed. I have done this with a parent but i have offerred that if someone wants to use the space on a temporary contract until she comes back to me i will advise her and then she won't have to pay the retainer. Mum very happy with the arrangement.

nikim
17-07-2009, 03:34 PM
i have just done this , mum is a teacher and i have her son W, term time only, today is her last day at work then baby is due in sept, she then plans to return after the easter holidays with both children, there is no reason why i cant continue to have w, and it is her choice not to bring him, i am therefore charging her 50% of her contracted fees for the time she is off to keep his space , you are well within your rights to charge a retainer and she will be getting maternity pay whilst she is off (which is full pay for some for the first 20 weeks isnt it?) and she will still be getting tc if she did before (pls correct me if i am wrong), if a parent is unwilling to do this then they must be made aware of the fact that you cannot hold a place open for a year, sorry but i am running a buisiness not a charity :mad:
also in my experience its very difficult to fill a temp space, parents dont want the hassle to have to look for childcare again after 6 months, i have also been in a situation where i have kept a space during mat leave for the child and new baby for 6 months only to have a parent ring me the week before and tell me she couldnt afford childcare for 2 children so her mil was going to have them :angry:

hope you sort something out and you can come to an agreement with your friend, ;)

nannymcflea
17-07-2009, 03:45 PM
It's a difficult one but yes I would OR suggest that the hours are dropped for the child and they keep coming but less hours.

If they decide to take a year maternity or granny retires and they no longer need you are they going to be thinking of you at that time or will they do whats best for them?

You have to do whats right for your family, it's your business and yes it would be lovely to be charitable to all (I'm as flexible as I can be, I drop/change hours/times to fit in with everyone at short notice) but I'm afraid I would charge or change times/days to shorten hours but not hold a space open without a retainer.

Do whats best for you.