PDA

View Full Version : Strange requests from parents

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
16-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Just wondering what type of weird and strange requests you have had from parents. I dont know if i just attract eccentric parents but i have had some good ones.

One parent that came to see me, refused point blank to pay me when her child was napping as in her words "i wouldnt be interacting with her child" i know she said this to other minders in my area also. (as you could imagine i dint take that child on)

A mother of a child wanted me to administor enemas to help her child poo. (i said no)

And another mum didnt want me to mention Father Christmas to her LO as she didnt want me or anyone else lying to him.

HomefromHome
16-07-2009, 06:19 PM
love the last one!!!!!:laughing:

georgie456
16-07-2009, 06:22 PM
They are all shocking!!!!! I've never had anything like that!!! Giving a child enemas???!!!!!

FizzysFriends
16-07-2009, 06:32 PM
You are making all my parents sounds boring!

charleyfarley
16-07-2009, 06:35 PM
They are all shocking!!!!! I've never had anything like that!!! Giving a child enemas???!!!!!

I wouldn't wish that on anyone (after having one) let alone a child

Seems like I have normal parents :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

TheBTeam
16-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I did have one parent ask me if i charged while the child was asleep, i said no, but i would charge for any damage he did to my house while i was out shopping, if he woke up!

Needless to say i didn't get that child!

venus89
16-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I did have one parent ask me if i charged while the child was asleep, i said no, but i would charge for any damage he did to my house while i was out shopping, if he woke up!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

charleyfarley
16-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Classic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

Trouble
16-07-2009, 06:48 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i think some parents live in fantasy land

georgie456
16-07-2009, 06:49 PM

:laughing: :laughing: LOVE IT!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

HomefromHome
16-07-2009, 06:52 PM
pmsl!!!!!!:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
16-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Friends of one of my parents once asked the parents what I did with the children when I had my lunch hour??????? I lock them in the cupboard under the stairs obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

Trouble
16-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Friends of one of my parents once asked the parents what I did with the children when I had my lunch hour??????? I lock them in the cupboard under the stairs obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mouse
16-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm amazed that parents ask if you charge while the child is asleep :eek:

I suppose the strangest I had was a parent who was very strict about what her child could eat. She sent all the food and I wasn't allowed to give the child anything else at all. She used to send tins of chunky soup...AND I HAD TO CUT THE LUMPS UP!!!

The child was almost 4!

TheBTeam
16-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I had one mum who sent fish oil capsules and wanted me to add them to absolutely everything the child had for lunch, she would send lunch which was often mackerel and veg and she even expected it to be put on ham sandwiches.

I refused to put it on anything other than the fish, i had to explain the recommended amount of times a child needed oily fish and that there was too much of a good thing and she would think all food tasted like fish, to put it on a ham sandwich is just disgusting!

I also had a mum ask how i dealt with a constipated baby!:idea: (My temptation was to say 'suck it out' but i restrained, and just said what i would do!!

Amaranth
16-07-2009, 07:19 PM

What's a lunch hour?!!!! I've not had one of them for years! As soon as my bum touches the chair someone wants something, needs the toilet or has a tantrum! :laughing:

amanda1309
16-07-2009, 07:22 PM
love it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miss mopple
16-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I had one that used to ask me to do her groceries for her :eek: I never did but didnt stop her asking.

But then she also felt my husband was fair game for chatting up at pick up time while completely ignoring me and her child :mad:

needless to say we have now parted company. Had to give notice for DH's sake as he was having to hide whenever she came by :laughing:

rickysmiths
16-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Gosh all this makes all my parents seem quite tame and ordinary. lol

fionamal
16-07-2009, 08:06 PM
My parents are all normal compared to that lot but I did have a parent visit with her 6month old boy and didnt want me to go out at all. I was to stay in and bake cakes with him :eek:

Needless to say she got sent packing as im out most of the day with schoool runs etc

Ripeberry
16-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I've only just started, but i've already had a parent for a 6 month old, asking me NOT to drive anywhere and just stay home with her child. She thought it was a reasonable request as it was just for one day a week.
Errr No! as i've got to collect my children from school! And i would go a bit stir crazy stuck in the house all day.
I could have just used the bicycle and baby seat :rolleyes: then i would not be going against her wishes.
And no i did not take her on as she needed someone closer to home anyway.

Playmate
16-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I had a parent once who was gob smacked that I went out in the rain! I had to explain that my children still had to go to school it it was raining :D
The same mother wouldn't allow me to give her child yogart as she said it made her cough :rolleyes:
On a slightly different note, I got accused many years ago of causing a child to have a hernia, because he used to cry for 30 seconds when she left the house!

It's a small world
17-07-2009, 10:18 PM

:ROFL1: like this:ROFL1:

Blaze
17-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I have had a parent come to view who said that they removed their child from the previous minder as the child's herbalist & psychic(:rolleyes: ) both agreed that the child's personal space had been invaded by other children ..:eek: (Too much money to waste IMHO)!
...Needless to say I suddenly found myself with no vacancies, when they called to go ahead with contracts!

sophiestars
17-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't had any strange requests as a childmonder but when i worked in a Creche we had a few. We had one Mum who used to bring her baby in and told us she was only allowed to play with her own toys despite us telling her that we cleaned and sterilised all our baby toys regularly.

We also had a nightmare mum who had an obsession with making her boy drink loads so she would bring him 6(!!) bottles of juice for a 2 hour period and expect us to have given them all to him - he was about 18 mths at the time. In the end we used to tip some of it down the sink so she wouldn't moan, he just refused to drink it!, not that we would have made him drink 6 bottles anyway. She then took him to a sleep therapist because he was waking in the night and the therapist told her to stop giving him so many fluids as he was waking with a really wet nappy which is something we had already suggested! There's just no telling some people! She also used to change him when she arrived and when she left and expected him to have had at least one, sometimes two nappy changes in between. This is in 2 hours! She must have spent a fortune on nappies.

amirose
18-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I once had a parent tell me her son only drank warm blackcurrant. She said if it was too hot or too cold he would refuse to drink it, however, would not eat a hot dinner and I would have to put his meal in the fridge until stone cold before giving it to him. :panic:

My other half was home when I had the meeting and was actualy behind her literally doing this :panic: ...I didn't end up taking them on :laughing:

These "quirks" kids have are more often than not created by the parents, does anyone actualy believe her son (at 3) suddenly asked for warm blackcurrant one day??? :laughing:

ORKSIE
18-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I have to agree with Ricky, My parents are all quite "normal" thank god But I have pmsl reading what some of you ladies have narrowly escaped:eek: :laughing:

miss muffit
18-07-2009, 08:10 AM

:ROFL1: pmsl

miss muffit
18-07-2009, 08:12 AM

Now what a good idea lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

sonia ann
18-07-2009, 01:42 PM
i have just been reading all these posts in amazement at some of the stories.....my parents all seem pretty normal now in comparison:laughing:

haribo
18-07-2009, 03:06 PM
amazing what some parents come out with :laughing: the worst i can think of was actually my very first parent who asked me not to take on any more as her son might come into contact with racists or bullies (her son was white) i said ok if you want to pay for 3 fulltime places thats fine , she changed her mind but did me a big favour as after that i was ready for anything :laughing:

Roseolivia
18-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Thank god i have 'normal' parents.

tulip0803
18-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I had parents that asked me to take them and the rest of their family to Heathrow airport on Christmas Eve as I should have been having their son anyway. I declined as it would have meant leaving my 2 children and my other 2 mindees at home alone as there would not have been room for them in the car:rolleyes: :laughing: .

Another insisted that I should spoon feed their 3 1/2 year old because they could not let him eat by himself as he might make a mess of their carpet:rolleyes: .

ORKSIE
18-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I had parents that asked me to take them and the rest of their family to Heathrow airport on Christmas Eve as I should have been having their son anyway. I declined as it would have meant leaving my 2 children and my other 2 mindees at home alone as there would not have been room for them in the car:rolleyes: :laughing: .

Another insisted that I should spoon feed their 3 1/2 year old because they could not let him eat by himself as he might make a mess of their carpet:rolleyes: .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

chewy sweets
18-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I have had a parent come to view who said that they removed their child from the previous minder as the child's herbalist & psychic(:rolleyes: ) both agreed that the child's personal space had been invaded by other children ..:eek: (Too much money to waste IMHO)!
...Needless to say I suddenly found myself with no vacancies, when they called to go ahead with contracts!

Child's herbalist and Psychic:ROFL1: Oh My God that's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time- also the strangest:rolleyes:

tinkerbelle
18-07-2009, 05:39 PM

i had the spoon feeding he was almost four and when he came to my house she always put him in pull ups as it was a traumatic time for him being away from her she even wanted me to get rid of my dog and cat which was met by a no chance and hand feed him toast needless to say within 2 days of being at my house he was feeding himself and in pants

Blaze
18-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Child's herbalist and Psychic:ROFL1: Oh My God that's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time- also the strangest:rolleyes:

The personal space thing did me...the LO was playing with other children!:rolleyes:

mandy moo
18-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I think I'M quite normal now..:laughing:

childmind04
18-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Think the worst one is last week i had a little one sent with a winter hat and coat and his mum asked me to make him wear it, it was 24 degrees :eek: i explained he would over heat and may get a bit uncomforatble and got told he is used to much hotter (lived in India 2 years ago) i still find it difficult to talk to these parents as they are both doctors and i find myself feeling a bit pressurised :blush:

But thats probably as bad as i have got but nothing suprises me now ;)

sue
18-07-2009, 08:13 PM
quote=CAROLYN;475214]Friends of one of my parents once asked the parents what I did with the children when I had my lunch hour??????? I lock them in the cupboard under the stairs obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:[/quote]

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Pipsqueak
18-07-2009, 09:10 PM
thankfully all my parents are quite 'normal'.
My PFH (a few of you will remember) wanted me to monitor her childs poo's, wipe her up after wee's and poo's - (this child was 3.5yrs), apply nappy cream, possibly take sample (nice) and if the doctor sanctioned it give her daughter an enema. She thought she was being quite reasonable with these suggestions and requests.
Mother wasn't happy about the fact that I had other children in the setting - including my own children!!:eek: TBH though it was the FFH and once i got shot then it was no problemos.:laughing:

I hear on the grapevine though that this child is still causing problems for the teachers at school now!

ORKSIE
18-07-2009, 09:13 PM
thankfully all my parents are quite 'normal'.
My PFH (a few of you will remember) wanted me to monitor her childs poo's, wipe her up after wee's and poo's - (this child was 3.5yrs), apply nappy cream, possibly take sample (nice) and if the doctor sanctioned it give her daughter an enema. She thought she was being quite reasonable with these suggestions and requests.
Mother wasn't happy about the fact that I had other children in the setting - including my own children!!:eek: TBH though it was the FFH and once i got shot then it was no problemos.:laughing:

I hear on the grapevine though that this child is still causing problems for the teachers at school now!

Ok I know i'm a bit slow but please help me here! PFH and
FFH:huh: :blush: :blush:

Pipsqueak
18-07-2009, 09:23 PM
sorry :blush: you aren't thick at all.
PFH - parent from hell
FFH - family from hell
CFH - child from hell

:D whenever I see them at school I always have PFH/CFH pop into my head:laughing:

ORKSIE
18-07-2009, 09:25 PM
PFH - parent from hell
FFH - family from hell
CFH - child from hell

:D whenever I see them at school I always have PFH/CFH pop into my head:laughing:

:ROFL1: Thanks!

ZoeAlli
18-07-2009, 09:45 PM
PFH - parent from hell
FFH - family from hell
CFH - child from hell

Thank you, I didn't know this either. Struggled a bit to understand but now makes sense.

ZoeAlli
18-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Thought I'd add, my parents seem normal compared to some that I have just read about!!!

Pipsqueak
19-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you, I didn't know this either. Struggled a bit to understand but now makes sense.

they aren't terms I use loosely and tbh I have only ever experienced feelings this strong with this one family. There was tons of other stuff happening with family that honestly did make mine and my families' life pure hell - until I took control and terminated the contract.
I know the terms sound quite unprofessional of me and it really would take a lot of a child/parent/family to make me feel that way again - but in saying that I would not allow it to get to that situation again.
Its a very rare thing that I have such strong negative feelings about a child.

margimum
19-07-2009, 11:43 AM
You don't sound unprofessional to me... only honest! I have found people in this forum have a sense of humour and realise that some of the things we say may not be very pc but are meant in a lighthearted way.
thanks for abb. info. think i've worked out what pmsl is but won't share here!:)

sonia ann
19-07-2009, 01:26 PM
You don't sound unprofessional to me... only honest! I have found people in this forum have a sense of humour and realise that some of the things we say may not be very pc but are meant in a lighthearted way.
thanks for abb. info. think i've worked out what pmsl is but won't share here!:)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4704&highlight=abbreviations
you might find this link helpful:)

chewy sweets
19-07-2009, 04:13 PM
sorry to be dim but what does pmsl stand for?????????:huh:

loocyloo
19-07-2009, 04:40 PM
i was walking to school in the rain one day last week, and bumped into a current mum ( but not on one her LO's days )

"aren't you good walking? aren't you lucky its not too heavy? you would have got very wet, at least the children are relatively dry" ...

i just smiled said 'we're used to it' and escaped before i could laugh ... she KNOWS i walk WHATEVER the weather, thats why her children have to bring waterproofs with them!

but, having read some of the comments here, i have very normal parents !!!

margimum
19-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Katie-Skatie, the last 3 words are: my self laughing!! At least thats what I think! better check abbreviations thread to make sure:blush:

Deb
19-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh lord, arent people odd! I currently work with a family with some very strange ideas about childcare.

sonia ann
19-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Katie-Skatie, the last 3 words are: my self laughing!! At least thats what I think! better check abbreviations thread to make sure:blush:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4704&highlight=abbreviations

margimum
19-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks, Sonia-Ann. just checked info. so many abbreviations!!

mandy moo
20-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Oh lord, arent people odd! I currently work with a family with some very strange ideas about childcare.

Do elababorate on that Deb:laughing: please we'd love toknow