PDA

View Full Version : Tracker Plus

christinajanep
16-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

i wonder if i could have your opinions on something.
on my currently learning journeys i do i log an activity the child has done for which i have then added something to to enhance there development further i then log this on the back against the 6 areas of learning and the early learning goals. Some times this is really time consuming and trying to keep track of where each child is within each area of the six areas of learning is difficult.
Q publications have produced a tracker plus which allows u to track your observations with each early learning goal.

I just wondered if anyone else has looked at these or uses them and what ur opinions are as they could be the answer to my prayers ?

thanks
christina:)

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 11:23 AM
i think trackers have their place as a guide only but Ofsted don't like ticklists which effectively is all they are

christinajanep
16-07-2009, 11:29 AM
i'm not sure i see it as a tick list but as a way of recording where your mindee is on there development journey ?

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I suppose it depends on how you intend to use it really.

EYFS is all about coming up with the links. Some people may use them to just plough through and tick off. Like I say, they can have their place - I cut mine up and use the statements to paste into something (ie a scrapbook and photos).

I have just had a quick look at the samples - at least theyhave spaces to put your own notes but I think I still prefer my own LJ's which are a lot more personal

Pauline
16-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi All,

i wonder if i could have your opinions on something.
on my currently learning journeys i do i log an activity the child has done for which i have then added something to to enhance there development further i then log this on the back against the 6 areas of learning and the early learning goals. Some times this is really time consuming and trying to keep track of where each child is within each area of the six areas of learning is difficult.

thanks
christina:)

I agree with Pip, Ofsted do not like ticklists at all and to be honest they can be quite boring to use.

What you are doing sounds just like my learning journey files. I've been experiementing over the last 12 months with different ways of recording and think I have finally found something that works for me.

I too have the front of the sheet for a write up and photos, this is what the parents like to see, I find that they are not really bothered about the other stuff!

On the back of each sheet I have a box for each area of learning, within this I write which aspects the activity has linked to, also on this side I have a box for future plans and extending learning ideas.

Having done these for some time I can now quickly see which areas are being promoted and which are lacking simply by turning each page and looking for the gaps, this then helps me to provide for those areas in the future.

Hope that makes sense. :)

christinajanep
16-07-2009, 11:45 AM
my plan is to record my mindees journey through the eyfs, making sure a child isnt just covering one particular area, you have to date and give evidence and progress notes as you would a learning journey.

christinajanep
16-07-2009, 11:55 AM
the book isnt a tick list, its a way of logging the childs journey through the eyfs

jeanybeany
16-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a print out of the development matters (ages etc) from the EYFS and I use these to track a child's learning through the EYFS. I highlight the statement and put a date by it. I also have another set for each child that I use for planning which I highlight when I have planned an individual activity for the child, when they have met the outcome I tick the statement off. It's quick and easy to use.

HTH

Jeanybeany:)

childmind04
16-07-2009, 12:36 PM
There are various forms around taken from the eyfs books that do the same as a tracker, i personally would not use on thier own but i have been asked to use them for the QTS who is assessing my accreditation, so really they are just for me and her, and yes they are boring ;)

Pauline i like the sound of writing up on the back, it would save some printing lol