PDA

View Full Version : ICT for littlies

venus89
16-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't do anything ICTishwith my mindees (all under 3 years old) beyond very occasionally asking them to choose pictures for me to print out with them. Do you do ICT with such young ones? If so, what?

singlewiththree
16-07-2009, 10:03 AM
My own 2yr old can work the mouse and does a little on the computer but ICT doesnt have to be computers. I let the little ones use the ipod shuffle on a speaker and they learn how to turn the nursery rhymes on and volume up etc. Its about technology, giving them access to a child's cd player etc.

Straws
16-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I give mine old phones to play with, old keyboards, you dont have to splash out on anything expensive to introduce children to ICT, electronic toys also come under ICT

Straws x

venus89
16-07-2009, 10:11 AM
ooohhh..... I give them old phones :D
I like the music idea but do you find they bicker over cd players and things?

twiggy
16-07-2009, 11:35 AM
My 3 year old mindee is a wizz on the computer. She loves the Cbeebies website and the older children love BBC bitesize. I have security on my computer so the children can only visit these 2 websites. Even my 2 year old mindee enjoys going on Cbeebies although he has to have help using the mouse.

nannymcflea
16-07-2009, 12:07 PM
recording their voices is fun, using a kiddies tape recorder or your mobile...don't foget to delete!

avril
16-07-2009, 12:43 PM
We got a child's camera from the capital grant so use this but you could as a treat on a day out use a disposable camera or if very careful indoors on a very soft floor have a little go your camera!!

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I bet you do TONS of ICT /IT with the kids - it wasn't till I looked at it more closely for my FD that I realised...

think beyond computer

its anything thats programmable - using human input - do they have remote control toys, the remote control for the tv, the push button at the traffic lights, a leappad or similar, gameboy type stuff, do you let them push the buttons on the dishwasher/microwave/washing machine

do you have a metal detector, phones etc etc

fabulous website:http://foundation.e2bn.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=27

Helen79
16-07-2009, 02:19 PM
we do kneebouncers.com with the littlies, as all the have to do is bash the keyboard and don't need much precision with the mouse

We've also got a vtech camera that they use to take photos and videos, old mobiles, a toy laptop, and a cd player that they choose cds to put on.

I've got a wind up radio which is really good as there's no cables or batteries for them to play with. They love winding it up and listening to the radio. We put it on when we have snacks.

FizzysFriends
16-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I like the look of the beebot for the little ones, DD used to use one at school and loved it.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
16-07-2009, 02:59 PM
i think ICT basically includes anything with batteries, so if a child knows by pushing a button a sound is made or something lights up then this covers ICT

xxx

venus89
16-07-2009, 03:09 PM
:clapping: Thank you all - I do a lot more than I realised and you have all given me some good ideas for more xx

peanuts
16-07-2009, 03:12 PM
the bebot is brill, i brought it home when the playgroup was off at easter time and the kiddies her loved it even the older ones, while showing the younger ones how to workig had a ball

Moominmomma
16-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Look at this great site, got some games on, but loads of funny songs:
http://www.uptoten.com/kids/uptoten-home.html

All my kids love it, I find myself singing the songs all the time! :clapping:

amanda1309
16-07-2009, 07:27 PM
You have saved me a question.
I was just talking about this with other CMs today and reading the replies and talking to them I realised I am doing alot more than I origianally thought.
:)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I bet you do but just don't know it.

ICT isn't all about a computer

Do they use pull along phones, push button toys that do and don't make a noise, play camera, tape cassette etc...