PDA

View Full Version : is it ok for another cm to take child in their car?

newandlearning
16-07-2009, 07:56 AM
hello.. am thinking of meeting up with other cm'ing friends every now and again who can help me with taking children out, using my car and theirs..

is it ok for the other cm to take the mindee as long as I get parental consent
(or is it more complicated than that??)

is it ok for them to take my child? (I assume yes??) ie. are they still covered in an accident??

in a similar scenario.. which option would you do?

xxx

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 08:24 AM
you need to ensure that the c/m has the correct insurance and risk assess.
discuss with parents and I presume you have parental consent for the child to travel in a vehicle? if you have then this covers the child travelling in any vehicle deemed suitable by you (as told to me by a NCMA rep). Would you be with the child? Not sure how you would stand though if you weren't with the child. If you weren't with that child then that minder would be responsible for that child and would have to take into account her numbers.

If you are with the child then you are using your judgement about the child travelling in a vehicle deemed ok by you.

Hope all that makes sense

singlewiththree
16-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm doing the same this holiday but I am sending my own child in the other childminders cars and keeping the minded ones with me. I just think the risks assessment would be too lengthy and think its probably best to send mine as they would enjoy it!

balloon
16-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Not sure how you would manage to keep the child in your eyesight or hearing (as required by ofsted) at all times if they were in somebody else's car...

It's probably best that you email ofsted and your insurance company before you worry about asking parental permission - I cannot imagine either would allow it tbh (sorry if that's unhelpful)

Sorry that sounds a bit short, mindee has just arrived!

Daftbat
16-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I have had this situation and i have only let my own children or those over eight travel with another minder in their car. Have got parents consent too.

Jacqui116
16-07-2009, 01:06 PM
When I go out with my c/m friend, we only let our own kids travel in the other c/m car and keep the mindees in our own cars.

Jacqui

xxxxxxx

Deb
16-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I cant see a problem if that doesnt put the other minder over her numbers.

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I cant see a problem if that doesnt put the other minder over her numbers.

but it could be a problem Deb - your mindees are supposed to be in your sight/sound at all times.

venus89
16-07-2009, 03:27 PM
but it could be a problem Deb - your mindees are supposed to be in your sight/sound at all times.

I agree. I have permission for my minded children to travel in a vehicle with me but wouldn't even ask if they could go in another minders' car. I imagine if anything happened, among other things, your insurances would cover neither of you.

Kelly
16-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I have my own two so they always travel in the other car, I did have permission for my minded children to travel in another cm's car with me in it as well.:thumbsup:

Kelly

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree. I have permission for my minded children to travel in a vehicle with me but wouldn't even ask if they could go in another minders' car. I imagine if anything happened, among other things, your insurances would cover neither of you.

In the event of an emergency I suppose it could be excused. At the end of the day your mindees are your responsibility - end of.

venus89
16-07-2009, 04:09 PM
In the event of an emergency I suppose it could be excused. At the end of the day your mindees are your responsibility - end of.

In the event of an emrgency, I imagineso. If I'm on a day out with my mindees and other childminder and I'm dashed to hospital then another minder might take them home in their car..... But that's like sending them to another minder in the event of an emergency. Ordinarily, though, I'd have thought it was a big nono

FizzysFriends
16-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Like others I would send my own in the other car and keep mindees with me.

newandlearning
17-07-2009, 07:19 AM
thanks ladies.. I totally agree with all of you that the mindees are our responsibility and only our own LOs should go in the car.. xxx thanks a lot for all your replies.xx :clapping: :clapping: Happy Weekend!! :clapping: :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I work along side 2 other childminders and we move the children around in any of the cars as long as we are within our numbers. We are all business class insured.

Gherkin
17-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I meet with other childminders but always put my own children in their cars and keep mindees in my car. Feels better that way.

venus89
17-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I work along side 2 other childminders and we move the children around in any of the cars as long as we are within our numbers. We are all business class insured.

But it's not about insurance, is it? It's about looking after your own mindees. If your mindee is in another person's car and you're not, you're not looking after them.

Pipsqueak
17-07-2009, 09:45 AM

but they are not in your sight or sound. yes i know they are with other minders you trust but if something was to happen and they are not directly in your care surely you wouldn't have a leg to stand on?