PDA

View Full Version : do you think we should change the name of our profession?

sweets
15-07-2009, 08:59 PM
was just thinking, you know how some jobs change their names like shelf stackers become stock controllers and bin men have become refuse collectors etc do you think childminders could do with a change of name now we have become more recognised as professional people? the word child MINDER seems to me that we just mind children while parents are at work.

Any suggestions of what we could be called?

Or am i just being daft? lol:laughing:

mumof1
15-07-2009, 09:02 PM
gr8 idea, but cant think of anything right now.

Give me a while and i will be back :)

TheBTeam
15-07-2009, 09:08 PM
DOOR MAT!

springs to mind!

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Mug is another good title - and very apt!! lol

We had this discussion a while back I think....

how about
Childcare Technician
All things Childcare Expert
Families Manager

Deb
15-07-2009, 09:11 PM
In Sheffield they are trying to make the move towards us being called Home Based Carers.

being pedantic here, but we arent in a profession until we all have a professional qualification lol

Ripeberry
15-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Childcare professional? Childcarer? Carer sounds better than minder. Or even just 'Professional Home Childcarer'?
I've just come back from a pre-school committee meeting and our Chairman has never used childminders or known anyone who used them, so he was quite interested in what we do and how much we charge.
You should have seen his face when i said that i charge £3.50 an hour (my area rates). He is a businessman and he said it was unbelievable the amount of work we have to do just for £3.50 an hour!
But i did tell him that it does get profitable once you get at least 3 full time children, but who has that these days? :(

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 09:14 PM
In Sheffield they are trying to make the move towards us being called Home Based Carers.

being pedantic here, but we arent in a profession until we all have a professional qualification lol

Maybe not Deb but many of us are very highly qualified - more so than many nursery staff and thats not even considering the experience

sweets
15-07-2009, 09:20 PM
i like 'Professional Home Childcarer' best so far

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 09:23 PM
tbh, though I am really proud to be a Registered Childminder - end of. Don't think we need a name change - just the rest of the public and that includes the rest of the childcare sector - needs educating .

mumof1
15-07-2009, 09:25 PM

I like that to :thumbsup:

wendywu
15-07-2009, 10:17 PM
An old gentleman friend who passed away a couple of years ago used to say to me, Childminder is a strange name, you mind sheep but care for children, you should be called childcarers.

I always remember this. Bless him he always had a pocket full of sweets for my mindees.:littleangel:

sweets
15-07-2009, 10:23 PM
An old gentleman friend who passed away a couple of years ago used to say to me, Childminder is a strange name, you mind sheep but care for children, you should be called childcarers.

I always remember this. Bless him he always had a pocket full of sweets for my mindees.:littleangel:

How lovely!

tammerisk
16-07-2009, 06:54 AM
i think i might like to be called some thing else as people who used to look after children over a generation ago (i am 28) when they are walking in the street and look at me and my ...eerrmm .....tride of children!!!!!! go oh that must be hard work are they all yours.....(yes if i slelt with about 5 diferent peolpe of every colour race and creed in the space of 6 years and produced one every 9 months!!!!!!!!!)and then when i reply no i am a childminder they go oh i used to be a childminder and i stand there and think and get really peeved that what they did over 30 years ago can never be anything like what i do now.

so yes i think we should be called some thing else or at least have letters after our names like doctors or something that make us sound as proffectional and hard working as we are

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 07:01 AM
have letters after our names like doctors or

Registered Childminder (S.L.A.V.E)
Registered Childminder (M U G)
Registered Childminder (CHARITY)

The Juggler
16-07-2009, 07:28 AM

USENOWPAYLATER

Tinglesnark
16-07-2009, 07:38 AM
USENOWPAYLATER

lmfaooooooooooooooooo

what am i getting myself in to!??! hahah:laughing:

Blackhorse
16-07-2009, 07:41 AM
you lot always make me laugh!!

samgeordie
16-07-2009, 07:44 AM
in australia they call them family day carer, what bugs me is the people that still say "how is the babysitting going"?:angry:

Polly2
16-07-2009, 07:57 AM
have a swedish mum (I mind her daughter) and she said the swedish word for childminder is translated

"day mother"

I thought that was nice...but I don't think male cms would like it :laughing:

Daddy Day Care
16-07-2009, 08:03 AM
I keep being told im one of the girls now so wudnt bother me lol

Gareth
xx

Blackhorse
16-07-2009, 10:15 AM
have a swedish mum (I mind her daughter) and she said the swedish word for childminder is translated

"day mother"

I thought that was nice...but I don't think male cms would like it :laughing:

same in austria

we have ''day mother'' and ''day father''

:-)

georgie456
16-07-2009, 12:40 PM
in australia they call them family day carer, what bugs me is the people that still say "how is the babysitting going"?:angry:

Grrrr that's what my FIL says - he thinks it's highly amusing to see me and my SIL (also a CM) bite - which of course we do every time!

nannymcflea
16-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Grrrr that's what my FIL says - he thinks it's highly amusing to see me and my SIL (also a CM) bite - which of course we do every time!

What is it with FIL's, mine does the same!

ZoeAlli
16-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for this, it has just given me a well needed laugh!!!

flora
16-07-2009, 03:35 PM

razor sharp as usual pip :thumbsup:

very good.

tbh i like childminder,

Lick'le Oakes
16-07-2009, 08:42 PM
How lovely!

I like this one:D

Pipsqueak
16-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for this, it has just given me a well needed laugh!!!

:eek: I was being serious:D

Andrea08
16-07-2009, 09:33 PM
good evening ... how about....xyz (your name) Day Care..

.or even level 3/4 Qualified Professional EYFS Day/Night Care lol it will never take off x x x

wellybelly
16-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Childcare Practitioner

MelBeck
17-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I know what you mean about ' babysitting`.their are a lot of people who think all you do is sit on your bum all day and drink tea and eat cake. I'd love to be able to sit down for more than 2 minutes cos there's always something going on if not cleaning,cooking,stopping fighting,getting books out and oh yer paperwork I'm lucky if I have a cuppa b 4 10pm. Lol

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2009, 07:04 AM
tbh, though I am really proud to be a Registered Childminder - end of. Don't think we need a name change - just the rest of the public and that includes the rest of the childcare sector - needs educating .

I am with you on this.

claireLouise
19-07-2009, 07:08 PM

This one gets my vote
Claire

FizzysFriends
19-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Im not sure child covers all we do though as we often have to 'mind' the parents too.

Playmate
19-07-2009, 07:42 PM
This subject was actually discussed at a NCMA National AGM about 4 or 5 years ago. I think many suggestions were made, but the majority voted to stay 'Registered Childminders'. I must admit with the intro of EYFS, I now wonder whether it should be addressed again.

elainerut
20-07-2009, 02:31 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

littlepixies
20-07-2009, 07:25 AM
i think us childminders are just seen as the cheap baby sitter who sits about doing nothing letting kids get on with it!
they dont see the work we do and the guidelines we have to fall too.. and i hate being known as a childminder
may be something like early years professional? carer of early years??

Heaven Scent
20-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Family Care Practiitioner - covers a multitude - we provide a family environment for the children - families can attend - we provide support and advice for parents in a variety of circumstances.!!!! Then we can add the letters of our qualifications after the title and that will show we are professional!!!!!

eg mine would be

S**** S****
Montessori Family Care Practitioner

C***** M****** (Mont Dip Ed - Cert Ed)

There you go see its easy I put in Montessori because that is how I was trained and have some materials and use the principles throughout my practice.

Others could be

Happy Kids
Family Care Practioner

Susan Marsh (NVQ3)

see looks better doesn't it.