PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't want to pay full deposit

Adiamond
15-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi all, I have two mindees starting in Sept ,boy and girl siblings age 3 and 2. Mum decided she wanted me about a month ago, I knew they where going on holiday but up until this week I hadn't heard a thing from her. Anyway she has got in touch and she still wants me but she said she can't afford to pay me the months deposit I asked for!!!!
She has asked if there is anything I can do regarding the deposit???? I said I will take a look at her estimated bill and see if there is anything I can do...
This contract is not perfect but I need the work.
So my question is........ what would you or have you done regarding parents not been able to pay your deposit???? This is frustrating me because I don't think she realises that I am holding these 2 places open for her for another 6 weeks grrrrrrr... I hope this isn't how this one is going to be!! :mad:
Thanks in advance I hope I have made sense :blush: x x x

sweets
15-07-2009, 09:01 PM
are you going to use the deposit as first months fees? this may make her feel a bit better about it. you could explain to her that a lot of childminders would actually charge a retainer for the 6 weeks but you are being nice and only charging her a deposit! but you have to think really if you want to risk loosing these mindees and if you can afford to!

Deb
15-07-2009, 09:08 PM
tbh if mum isnt working and wont have an income till she has already worked a month I often wonder how they manage to pay a deposit and a months fees upfront - I wouldnt have been able to. I would ask for 50 for each child, against 1st months fees and ask for the remainder at the beginning of the week before they start.

Are you likely to have more enquiries and other folks wanting to start before then?

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 09:19 PM
All three of the mums I have on my books could not pay the deposit of a month. All single returning to work mums.
So I compromised and asked for two weeks fees upfront - one mum is 1 weeks fees. I am happy enough with that - I am being paid upfront.

So perhaps you could halve the deposit - so that its 2 weeks for each child. I deduct from the final invoices

Adiamond
16-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi, the mum works already she said that she can't pay me my deposit as they have just come back from their holidays!!!!

I have also had numerous phone calls for the same spaces but I have said I will get back to them as I have been waiting for this mum to get back in touch with me.

I am not sure about this something just doesn't feel right !!!!!!!! :) x x x

angeldelight
16-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi, the mum works already she said that she can't pay me my deposit as they have just come back from their holidays!!!!

I have also had numerous phone calls for the same spaces but I have said I will get back to them as I have been waiting for this mum to get back in touch with me.

I have had parents unable to pay the deposit in the past one let me down one is still with me after 2 years so you just never can tell

I would say that she will have to call you back the week before you are due to have them because you can not hold the place - so if you are then free take them
Meantime get back to the other parents and if they need you and pay deposit go with them

If you feel that something is not right then go with that feeling

Be honest with her and explain why she needs to pay the deposit - explain it can be her first months fees
Also get her to sign something if she does pay a deposit saying she understands it is none refundable if she does not turn up or if she changes her mind etc

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

christine e
16-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Go with your gut feeling here. I have recently been let down by someone and I had a funny feeling about it. I would give the others a ring back and if they want you and are prepared to start straight away or pay deposit then go with them

Cx

balloon
16-07-2009, 06:41 AM
I'd contact the parent too and tell her that if you still have places available you'd be delighted to take her child however you cannot hold places open with no retainer/deposit. Sounds as if this parents has put pleasure in front of her childcare bill and may well do so in the future (sorry can't pay you this month, we're off to spain for two weeks...)

I'd then call the other parents and see what happens there, go with the ones that feel right (and pay, lol!)

georgie456
16-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd contact the parent too and tell her that if you still have places available you'd be delighted to take her child however you cannot hold places open with no retainer/deposit.

I'd then call the other parents and see what happens there, go with the ones that feel right (and pay, lol!)

That's what I do too. If you have other parents after spaces and they can pay, I'd be tempted to go with them tbh. Offer the option of seeing if the spaces are still there when she needs you.

Bushpig
16-07-2009, 09:39 AM
You are not obligated to this woman and her kids. She needs to understand you have bills to pay and her having a holiday shouldn't mean you lose money!

Plus, go with your gut - you feel funny about her? That speaks volumes... when next will she prioritise their holidays over your fees and service?

You are getting other enquiries... go for them :thumbsup:

Tatjana
16-07-2009, 08:39 PM
You've been offered some great advice already.

Gut instincts are there for a reason!

Good luck and keep us updated.

xx