PDA

View Full Version : School Reports

twiggy
15-07-2009, 01:02 PM
My daughter had her school report last week which we were intitially delighted with. However following a conversation with one of the other parents in my daughters class, it seemed that a great deal of the teacher's comments were the same. Upon a closer comparison of the reports I discovered that in fact both reports were absolutely identical, except for the headteacher comments and the two christian names.

I appreciate that the majority of the report will be the same but am now feeling disenchanted as it now has little personal value to my daughter and does not show any emphasis on students being treated as individuals.

I have since found out a third child has identical teacher comments. The teachers defence is that my daughter and her friend are alike.

How would you all feel?

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I would be feeling a little peeved to. where does it show that the teacher recognises the individual with personal acheivement and attainment. Where does it show that the teacher has actually got to know your child.:(

I am not happy with the style of our school reports but they welcome us with open arms any time we want to have a chat and I am really happy that the teacher knows my son (well eldest -not sure about H's teacher)

Deb
15-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I can understand that it must be difficult and very timeconsuming to write an individual report for each child - but that shows a considerable lack of imagination; talk about busted! I would point it out to the teacher too.

Polly2
15-07-2009, 01:20 PM
This has happened to me in the past when my own children were in the same class (very small school so no excuse really!)

Did they think I would not notice?

One year I had a report that had another childs name halfway through then changed to my sons name :eek:

It really made me mad!

Rubybubbles
15-07-2009, 01:25 PM
yep it happens:( I even remember when I was in my last year of school having a list from the teachers and we did the yr 1-4yrs reports for them:eek: the list had numbers which went with a certain paragrapth and we just put in the childs name:(

BUT my dd and ds was brilliant, things that we're said I knew where put in, as I remember them saying on parents evening to me. At the end of the day if your not happy, go in and see the teahcer if possible:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
15-07-2009, 01:34 PM
You can always tell when they have just used general terms. I appreciate it must be hard to think of 30 different ways to say similar/different things but something a bit personal added would help.

I have a mindee for a few extra afternoons each year at this time so his mum can do her reports - she teaches English as second language to primary children and her reports need to be much more individual as children are up against different language/cultural issues. No cutting and pasting for her!

singlewiththree
15-07-2009, 03:57 PM
My sister felt the same about her sons report, he had changed schools and it had been his first year there but no mention was made to this. In my DD's report they commented genuinely on how well she had settled in her new school etc etc and you can tell it was written about her not just general.

CCJD
15-07-2009, 04:05 PM
We have the same - it's such a shame because it means I regard my children's reports as worthless and not worth the paper they are written on. One of my son's teachers forgot to change the name in one sentence and "chloe's" spelling had improved! I was very pleased for Chloe but what exactly did that have to do with my son!!!!

Mollymop
15-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Our schools do this too. It really annoys me.:mad:

angiemog
15-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi
I have a friend who is a teacher.... if I remember this right, the reports are done on a computer and you pick statements out of a list in each group. This is probably why some have come out very similar or in your case the same.
Not the best way to do reports but it is how they seem to be done now.
x

PixiePetal
15-07-2009, 06:02 PM
We have the same - it's such a shame because it means I regard my children's reports as worthless and not worth the paper they are written on. One of my son's teachers forgot to change the name in one sentence and "chloe's" spelling had improved! I was very pleased for Chloe but what exactly did that have to do with my son!!!!

DS had this once when he turned from a 'he' to a 'she'!
:rolleyes:

mandy moo
15-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi
I have a friend who is a teacher.... if I remember this right, the reports are done on a computer and you pick statements out of a list in each group. This is probably why some have come out very similar or in your case the same.
Not the best way to do reports but it is how they seem to be done now.
x

Angies right, thats wot they do, I used to work in my sons's school as an LSA,
actually sat in with the teacher and watched her do the reports!!