PDA

View Full Version : another question re holidays and notice

aly
15-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I have one boy who doesn't come to me in the holidays. He started with me beginning of april and as I have only just started didn't charge retainers etc for holidays.

Anyway. He finishes with me on friday but mum has asked if could have him next week too.

I want to give notice but wondered if the 4 week [as in my NCMA contract] still stands even though a retainer has not been taken for sept? {andnot in holiday time

thanks

Deb
15-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I dont think I understand? Is he coming back in September or are you finishing with him completely?

Daftbat
15-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I am presuming you mean that you want to give notice so that the child doesn't come babck to you in september?

If so then you can give notice anyway and since his contract is not for holiday time anyway then you have no reason to accept him after the end of term anyway.

margimum
15-07-2009, 01:22 PM
If your contract is for term time only then you can just say the place is not available next week. (if school has finished)
When did you sign contracts? If contract will still be in force in September, then I think your 4 weeks notice will have to start from then, unless you both agree in writing to forgo the notice period. Mum may agree to this so child can settle with some1 else for next term.

aly
15-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I am presuming you mean that you want to give notice so that the child doesn't come babck to you in september?

If so then you can give notice anyway and since his contract is not for holiday time anyway then you have no reason to accept him after the end of term anyway.

doesn't that contradict the contract though?

Sorry, I am still confused :blush:
He only started with me in April and I offered the 6 month review....he is only with me 9.30-12.45.mon-wed. right from the start I ******** this contract up as theoretically he is taking up a full space but only pays the time he is with me. She wanted to be term time only as she didnt want to pay through the holiday so thats the 2nd thing i ******** up for myself.

Anyway he is not feasible for me, i know it's the wrong way to look at it but Iwent into this business to earn money so I didn;t have to go out to work and stay home with my kids.

So I have decided I want to give notice but wonder how I can doit properly even though he is term time only but I don't have a retainer from him.

venus89
15-07-2009, 08:24 PM
To be honest, I think if you give notice now and want her to pay 4 weeks money to you - which I think is what you're asking about - then that's unreasonable.

If you're asking do you have to do a week next week then whether you're giving notice or not it's entirely up to your discretion if you're ot contracted to do so.

aly
15-07-2009, 08:27 PM
To be honest, I think if you give notice now and want her to pay 4 weeks money to you - which I think is what you're asking about - then that's unreasonable.

If you're asking do you have to do a week next week then whether you're giving notice or not it's entirely up to your discretion if you're ot contracted to do so.
No thats not it...I'm not thinking about the money I'll lose [which is hardly anything] for the notice.

venus89
15-07-2009, 08:28 PM
No thats not it...I'm not thinking about the money I'll lose [which is hardly anything] for the notice.

Apologies.... it's late:D

Does she pay in advance or arrears?

aly
15-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Apologies.... it's late:D

Does she pay in advance or arrears?
She pays weeekly [in arrears]
so when he is here on a wednesday she pays me for hte week then.

venus89
15-07-2009, 08:34 PM
If you give her notice tomorrow then the contract will end 4 weeks tomorrow. Retainers have nothing to do with it - they're just a money payed to you to hold a space if you aren't starting the contract straight away.

Daftbat
15-07-2009, 08:46 PM
If you give her notice tomorrow then the contract will end 4 weeks tomorrow. Retainers have nothing to do with it - they're just a money payed to you to hold a space if you aren't starting the contract straight away.

This is what i was meaning, Also the holiday time that she wants is a separate issue and you can refuse without any problem.

aly
15-07-2009, 09:06 PM

ok no problem..thank you
will be writing up a notice letter tonight.

thanks to the others too

:thumbsup: