PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on NVQ 5 please.

Stacey
15-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I havent been on here for a while but have just finished my NVQ 3 in childcare learning and development. I have been told I could carry on to do the level 5 open university course but I havent got a clue who to ring to ask, if I can get a grant and the title of the course.
Has anyone else doing/completed the level 5??

Please help :panic:

The Juggler
15-07-2009, 11:53 AM
lots of people, check the training threads. Think Alibali done it and Manjay about to start it. There are others too but can't think off top of my head.

Good luck. i've just done it at college it was fab course.

manjay
15-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Good memory Juggler;)

I finished my Level 3 CCLD a few months ago and I am starting a Foundation Degree in September. Year 1 will give me a level 4 qualification and year 2 will give me a level 5. I am doing mine at the Uni close to me and I will do it as a mixture of classroom based learning and distance learning. Polly2 is joining me and doing it all by distance learning as she lives at the other end of the country:rolleyes:

There are plent on here who are doing it through the OU and I am sure they will be along to give advice soon.

Roseolivia
15-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Have a look on the training threads because theres lots of answered questions on this subject. I'm doing the foundation degree with the open uni. Have already done 1 course and am starting another in October

sdean
15-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I am doing foundation degree in early years in October too - doing it through open university - all the details are available on their website. I am receiving funding through Leeds City Council Early Years - I am doing one part at a time so it will take me 4 yrs I think as I do not have 32 hours a week (16 hours per part) to dedicate to it which is what is recommended.

avril
15-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I was offered the foundation degree but could not take time out in the wk to go to uni so our local early years sourced another course called learning, development and support (ba hons) which will take 3yrs to complete attending uni 1 sat a mnth and the occasional evening midweek.

So that's me busy for the next few yrs come September!!!

Good luck to you:thumbsup:

Stacey
15-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all that. I take it you get funding also?? Is it alot harder than the level 3?? Not sure im brainy enough to do a level 5!!:eek:

Polly2
15-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Stacey
As Manjay said I have not started yet but as regards funding I sent off a letter to my local council and just asked was there any funding available and they said yes!!...its worth a try.

And don't forget the first year is level 4 standard so you won't be expected to jump straight to level 5.

Hope you get on the course we can all help each other :thumbsup:

Stacey
16-07-2009, 04:56 PM
One more quick question, what do all those doing level 5 hope to do once they have finished?? Carry on childminding??

manjay
16-07-2009, 05:21 PM
One more quick question, what do all those doing level 5 hope to do once they have finished?? Carry on childminding??

It is my intention to carry on and complete the full degree, then who knows;) At the minute I can't see myself doing anything else as I love the freedom of working for myself. However I may change my mind a few years down the line when my youngest gets a little older.

Stacey
19-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Im not sure what to do after the course. Which is why im still debating on if to do it or not. Im not sure what it enables you to do.:o

Allie
19-07-2009, 11:43 AM
The Ou course is good as you can stop after the Cert in early years practice if you want and either continue with the foundation degree or go onto an open degree or other options so you are not tied in for years if it proves not to be want you wanted

Allie

The Juggler
19-07-2009, 04:43 PM
The options are endless. Carry on childminding. I was thinking I'd like to work in a children's centre but now I think I'd like to get into training/assessment or Development Officer work with childminders maybe? Happy childminding at present though.

It is a lot harder than L3 in terms of hours and study not sure there is anymore paperwork to produce but the depth of learning is amazing. You get out what you put in really in terms of reading you do etc.

LoL

Polly2
20-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Personally I intend to carry on cm-ing. I am enjoying my job and I love being around for my own children.

But in the future you just never know...:)