PDA

View Full Version : Friend Telling Me She is Going To Be Unregistered Childminder

helenlc
15-07-2009, 10:59 AM
A friend of mine said this morning that she may have found some part time work. She went on to say that a lady at her children's school has to go back to work for financial reasons and that she cannot afford childcare. She has asked friends to have her little one (8 months) but my friend said she would do it so the little one had the consistency of having the same person all the time. The Mum said she was willing to pay £20-25 a day to my friend. Mum and husband have gone away to think about it.

I told her that what she would be doing was illegal and that she wouldnt have any insurances, certificates etc. She didnt take too kindly to this - she is rather an opinionated lady at the best of times!

What annoys me the most is that this friend went on a childminding introduction day with me and decided not to go thru with it due to all the changes she would have to make to her house and her children's lives/routines etc. So she must know that as I am a registered childminder that I have made all those changes and sacrifices.:angry:

I told her that the lady would be better off phoning Tax Credits and seeing if she is eligible for any help. She may get some help and then still only have to pay £20-25 top up. But at least she would have registered care and insurances etc.

Ggggrrrrr. I have never come across an unregistered childminder (or at least not that I know of) and was surprised how much it annoyed me her sitting there saying what she was planning.

Ok, rant over!!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Honestly some parents:rolleyes: Anything to think they are saving a few quid, never mind about their most priceless 'possession'. I bet they wouldn't dream of not insuring their car (costs too much to replace without insurance), or their house or contents or even taking out travel insurance:rolleyes: :rolleyes: More fool the parent I say.

As for your friend - tell her that you will report her to Ofsted (whether you do or not is a different matter) for childminding illegally and I would point out as well that she is earning illegally as well - she is defrauding the tax man.
Stoopid woman

chewy sweets
15-07-2009, 11:10 AM
:angry: That's really annoyed me and i don't even know her!!!
We do so much paper work, training and have to put up with the stress of inspections and she is just taking the p**s! Especially if she decided not to become a childminder. If she went to a breifing session and you've told her it's illegal, she can't even plead Ignorance!
I'd try to approach the parent and tell her that she isn't registered, has no insurance has had no training and has no qualifications.

grindal
15-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I would be annoyed too. When I registered a friend of mine asked if I would look after her little girl. She said, if I pay cash would you give me a cheaper rate as you will not have to declare it and pay tax? People seem to think we register for the fun of it :angry:

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 11:15 AM
People seem to think we register for the fun of it :angry:

We don't????:D

wendywu
15-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I would just say ' you cant do that as you will end up being reported by someone to Ofsted' :(

melanieabigail2004
15-07-2009, 11:27 AM
If she goes ahead with it I would personally be calling Ofsted as it is a safeguarding children issue. She has not insurance, no formal training and no first aid. Got to question the parents as well as who put their child with an unregistered carer.

Mel

funtoplay
15-07-2009, 12:05 PM
only one thing for it...report her!! do you have choice!!

j

Curly Quavers
15-07-2009, 12:35 PM
if she goes ahead I would report her to Ofsted and the inland revenue.

helenlc
15-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I am hoping I put her off enough this morning!

But if not, and she does go ahead, I will be reporting her to Ofsted and Inland Revenue.

I do not attend the same school as her so do not know the mum involved.

It never ceases to amaze me that people make out their children are the most important things in their life and yet they choose to send them just to the cheapest option - nothing to do with the level of care, safeguarding etc.

georgie456
15-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I would just say ' you cant do that as you will end up being reported by someone to Ofsted' :(

This is what I would do too - might help to put her off a bit more!

Mouse
15-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I (inadvertently) started a huge argument about this on another forum I post on (nothing to do with childminding).

One woman suggested another ask round at school to see if she could find someone to look after her younger daughter 'for a few quid a week'. Said she was sure some other mum would appreciate the cash. I pointed out that it was illegal etc, and she said 'yes, but who cares'. I said obviously not the parents or they wouldn't chose to send their children to unregistered childcare.

Blimey, did I open a can of worms! I had people shrieking at me (as much as you can on a message board!) that I was accusing them of not caring for their children just because they used unregistered care. Some peole really just don't get it :rolleyes:

Bushpig
15-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh I'd report her in a shot - I am glad you will too! :thumbsup: . My concern is for the kids, I don't care about the unreg CM/parents getting uptight at all.

They are breaking the law, putting children in danger and and and grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry:

Playmate
15-07-2009, 03:13 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thats all I can say!!!

Tatjana
15-07-2009, 06:28 PM
*SIGH* how irritating.

My cdo told me that half the people on the 2 day training course gave up after that, people just can't be bothered, they think it's a piece of **** then find out how much is involved and give up:rolleyes:

xx

sarah707
15-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I (inadvertently) started a huge argument about this on another forum I post on (nothing to do with childminding).

One woman suggested another ask round at school to see if she could find someone to look after her younger daughter 'for a few quid a week'. Said she was sure some other mum would appreciate the cash. I pointed out that it was illegal etc, and she said 'yes, but who cares'. I said obviously not the parents or they wouldn't chose to send their children to unregistered childcare.

Blimey, did I open a can of worms! I had people shrieking at me (as much as you can on a message board!) that I was accusing them of not caring for their children just because they used unregistered care. Some peole really just don't get it :rolleyes:

Good job I didn't get involved in that one! It's a subject that really makes me sooooo cross! :(

Monkey1
15-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Well done for speaking up x

TheBTeam
15-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I think anyone who is prepared to be an unregistered childminder is not the sort of person i would get to look after my dog, let alone my children, if they are prepared to work against the law, uninsured and evading tax, then i think that says a lot about the type of person they are!

I hope i don't offend anyone on here, but if i have then maybe you could register!:rolleyes:

Nicki L
17-07-2009, 09:00 PM
This is certainly something that annoys me. We are registered for the health and wellbeing of the children. We are inspected by ofsted to make sure that the children are safe at all times and thriving. We are first aid trained just in case. We are police checked to make sure that we are not axe murderers!!!! The list is endless and all for a good reason.

Some parents never cease to amaze me.

sweets
17-07-2009, 09:06 PM
there would be an uproar if a nursery went 'underground' and had no qualified staff and avoided Ofsted! wonder if parents would send their children there?:panic:

Ripeberry
17-07-2009, 09:14 PM
There is an unregistered childcarer at my daughters school. Everyone knows she has no insurance but they still want her services because., a) she used to be a Nursery nurse (over 20yrs ago) b) she is fun or mad (as some people say).
I've spoken to her and she says that she is not registering as she would have to do 1st aid again and that her garden would not pass (don't have to register it love).
But the icing on the cake was when she was at the school with the little 14month old that she looks after and she asked me if i had any mindees yet.
I said no and she just laughed (mad as a hatter) and then the mum came up and said that she lets her look after her son as she is a familly friend and she would never have a stranger regardless of how much insurance they had or qualifications, and they would never grass her up either.
So there you have it, it's not just about money, its who you know :panic: :mad:
But then as i've said before, it is a village community and some people have known each other since they were kids and have NEVER moved away.
Don't think Ofsted can do much about them until something goes wrong, and then would the parents complain as they are familly friends?
The only way you can get these people is the cash in hand aspect, but how can you prove it?
I became registered for my own peace of mind and to make sure i was legal, no more no less.
Unregistered CMs are just MAD!

elainerut
19-07-2009, 08:08 AM
sorry whether she was a friend or not i would report her if she goes through with it.
It just so wrong when other minders put in the hard work and ll the hours into the paperwork and training then other do it unofficially it makes me so:angry:

margimum
19-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I actually understand some of the points made in Ripeberry's post.
I am a big hypocrite in that I never would've left my own child with a stranger no matter how qualified and inspected but expect parents to do so!!
Luckily most childminders become well known (some may say infamous) in the community so become friends of friends quickly!:littleangel: