PDA

View Full Version : what woud you have done?

tashaleee
13-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I always find it really hard to say 'no' and want to know what you would have done in the situation.

Minded child has just turned 2 but abilitywise is more like 18months - brought today and seemed very pale and not quite their normal self. Ate okish, but normally clears the plate and often wants more.... Had one dirty nappy - not overly solid. After lunch I had gone into next room to get something so was gone less than 20 seconds in which time child had had a massive diahorrea explosion, stuck hands down front of nappy and wiped over themselves (clothese and hair)... yuk!!!!!!!!

I have had lots of instances where I feel these parents are not telling me the truth about things as I know they dont want to take time out of work to look after their child - and if I try to contact them to collect early due to illness its virtually impossible. I did ask parent to collect after diahorrea episode as child needed bath - they were 2 mins from my house and took 50 mins to turn up!

I told the parent on pick up that as per my policy there is a diahorrea exclusion - parent basically said 'we will just have to see how child is'. Other parent rang and left a message on my ansaphone (I was too chicken to answer the phone lol) saying their child had been fine and it 'must have been the curry they gave them at the weekend!'....

They still want me to have the child tomorrow - my question is would you?

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:15 PM
NO i wouldn't, stick to your policies or they use it against you

also say you MUST be able to contact them at all times or an emergency contact or you'll have no option to terminate, god forbid there was ever an accident :panic:

i'd call a meeting with the ASAP

xx

Blaze
13-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Nope...48 hour exclusion & recommend they don't feed their child curry again if they believe that's what it was...rules are rules! & in future if you can't contact them...use the emergency contacts:thumbsup:

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:19 PM
The things is, we're experts in poo... comes with the job. There's a huge difference between a squidgy poo and diaorreah (sp? Never can spell that one!). You know when it's nothing more than teeth or a curry. Stick to your guns - if you go back on your policy now then they will always exect you to. And if you and your family get it you'll be closed for days and they'll still have to look for chilcare

georgie456
13-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I would ring back now and say to them that as per your policies and dept of health guidelines, there is a 48 hour exclusion after diarrhoea has stopped, so sorry you cannot accept the child tomorrow. Explain that it is not just you coming up with an exclusion time, but recommended for a reason!

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep - in agreement with everyone else, call em back and tell them you have taken professional advice from your learned colleagues and you will be applying the 48hr rule FROM THE LAST BOUT of poops. At this point I would make it clear that if is the trots and you and yours come down with it because they have ignored health and safety exclusions

A) it could be a week or more before you could re-open your setting, meaning they have to have more time of work

b) you will consider charging them due to their inconsiderate behaviour

Roseolivia
14-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Yep - in agreement with everyone else, call em back and tell them you have taken professional advice from your learned colleagues and you will be applying the 48hr rule FROM THE LAST BOUT of poops. At this point I would make it clear that if is the trots and you and yours come down with it because they have ignored health and safety exclusions

A) it could be a week or more before you could re-open your setting, meaning they have to have more time of work

b) you will consider charging them due to their inconsiderate behaviour

:laughing: You have a great way of saying things

PixiePetal
14-07-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree, you do get to be a poop expert in this job :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

48 hour exclusion from last bout.

CCJD
14-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I would exclude for 48 hours. I recently told a parent (who likes to push things like this) thati could get in trouble with Ofsted if I took her back sooner because if another child caught it and that's child parents found out she had caught it from someone in my setting that hadn't been excluded for 48 hours ,they could complain to ofsted and I could risk being derigistered if I had such a complaint against me!!!!
A little over the top I know- but it was a good way of deflecting the policy away from me being awkward and got the message home to parents.

HomefromHome
14-07-2009, 11:32 AM
i agree wi the others and make a big point that if, due to their inconsideration, other kids or you n yours get ill, you will be charging them the full cost of what evryone pays you!!!

gigglinggoblin
14-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Remind them that as a childminder you are a food business and have to take advice from the environmental health dept. Useful booklet here which lists exclusion times for lots of illnesses

http://lancsdev.web-labs.co.uk/Documents/EnvHealth/Food/Food_L02.pdf

Great idea about charging if you are closed due to them bringing the child and making you ill.

Pipsqueak
14-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Remind them that as a childminder you are a food business and have to take advice from the environmental health dept. Useful booklet here which lists exclusion times for lots of illnesses

http://lancsdev.web-labs.co.uk/Documents/EnvHealth/Food/Food_L02.pdf

Great idea about charging if you are closed due to them bringing the child and making you ill.

Not sure if this would stand up in court though lol