PDA

View Full Version : can i ask.............

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:12 PM
i was at a fire station open day yesterday, and they were giving a fire demonstartion, and talking about what to do in the event of a fire etc etc

at the end i asked a question as he said that we must never tackle a fire and just get out..so

i asked

I am a registered childminder and by law we have to have a fire blanket blah blah

he told me bluntly i must NEVER tackle even the smallest of fires so why do Ofsted insist we have fire blankets???

Tatjana
13-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Why indeed in that case, seems very odd to have it as a requirement if we're not even supposed to use it?!

xx

Mouse
13-07-2009, 08:15 PM
i was at a fire station open day yesterday, and they were giving a fire demonstartion, and talking about what to do in the event of a fire etc etc

at the end i asked a question as he said that we must never tackle a fire and just get out..so

i asked

I am a registered childminder and by law we have to have a fire blanket blah blah

he told me bluntly i must NEVER tackle even the smallest of fires so why do Ofsted insist we have fire blankets???

You would still use it if someone's clothing caught fire. You wouldn't wait for the fire brigade to turn up for that.

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Aren't they to put out a person on fire? Stop, drop and roll style?

singlewiththree
13-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I asked the same at a chip pan demo and he said the same that ofsted need bringing into the 21st century.

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:23 PM
yeah but you don't need a fire blanket to do stop/drop/roll

not every household have them,

i don't have a chip pan or anything anyway :)

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 08:24 PM
A fire blanket can be used to smother someone one fire BUT my brother (who's a fireman) told me to get rid of the extinguisher and blanket many moons ago and to never tackle a fire. He reckons I should put a sprinkler system in - cue him showing me his....:rolleyes:

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:26 PM
:eek: how much would that cost??

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:26 PM
yeah but you don't need a fire blanket to do stop/drop/roll

not every household have them,

i don't have a chip pan or anything anyway :)

True.... but i imagine it helps?

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:27 PM
True.... but i imagine it helps?

oh yeah

:thumbsup:

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:31 PM
oh yeah

:thumbsup:

Then again... if one of my kids was on fire I'd not really go trying to pull the fire blanket out. I'm still convinced the NCMA one would be a pig to get out of the container.

Mouse
13-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Then again... if one of my kids was on fire I'd not really go trying to pull the fire blanket out. I'm still convinced the NCMA one would be a pig to get out of the container.

Mine isn't an NCMA one, but it's always falling out of the holder!

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Lol - mine isNCMA - you're not missing out on much :laughing:

haribo
13-07-2009, 08:42 PM
A fire blanket can be used to smother someone one fire BUT my brother (who's a fireman) told me to get rid of the extinguisher and blanket many moons ago and to never tackle a fire. He reckons I should put a sprinkler system in - cue him showing me his....:rolleyes:

my brother is a fireman too and says the same everytime he comes to mine , just get the kids out and dont try and put the fire out ... i say ok but ofsted like us to decorate our houses with things that remind us of our responsibilities instead of nice relaxing decor like other peoples homes have :laughing: seriously though if someones clothing caught fire the blanket would be better than nothing :panic:

Polly2
14-07-2009, 09:22 AM
If I had a sprinkler system it would be going off every time I burn the sausages :rolleyes: ha!!

balloon
14-07-2009, 09:30 AM
If I had a sprinkler system it would be going off every time I burn the sausages :rolleyes: ha!!

Snap!! :eek:

I always thought my fire blanket was there in case a person caught on fire rather than a house fire...

TBH though I think you'd automatically do the stop, drop and roll thing and smother the flames with whatever you could even your hands if it was one of your kiddies or a mindee. Parental/human instinct would surely over ride anything fireman or ofsted said (in real life of course, lol!)

Hebs, have you changed your name back?

PixiePetal
14-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Mine's not an NCMA one, been hanging on the wall for 15 years and luckily not so much as a sniff of smoke, let alone fire.............if you discount the sausages!

Hebs
14-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Hebs, have you changed your name back?

:laughing: yeah back to being ME :D