PDA

View Full Version : should i send my kids to school. I am worried about swine flu

Mollymop
13-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Both my kid's schools have cases of swine flu now. I received a letter from school this afternoon saying they now have a case. Theior pre-school has 3 too, my son's school across the road from the the other school has cases as well.

I don't know whether to continue sending my children to school, after hearing of the 2 new deaths, one being a doctor and another a 6 year old little girl who was supposidly healthy.

I know that seasonal flu kills, but we don't really get to hear about it in the news, etc, and lots of us have had flu in the past and we survived, but my children have never had flu and I wouldn't want them to catch it, it is terrible.

it's just the thought of me sending them to school and if they catch it (seems to be spreading like wildfire round here at the moment) and some BAD should happen to one of them I owul dnever forgive myself.

I know you can catch it from anywhere, going shopping, park, shops, walking down the street. But I think that if all children are cooped up together it is going to spread very quickly. If they were at home with me then I feel they would be "safer"

What shall I do?? I am so worried about it - there's only 4 days left of term

Monkey1
13-07-2009, 06:46 PM
We have had it at our school. I have still sent mine. They say its better to have it now rather than the winter when it gets worse. I have penciled it in to have the week of the 17th Aug when i have less kids.....do you think it will work like that?
Try not to worry Sandra, x

Spangles
13-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know what to say to you Sandra because I would feel much the same as you!

I read today that tests have shown that swine flu is quite disimilar to normal seasonal flu in that it doesn't stay so much in your head, it spreads and actually attacks your respiratory system and so increases chances of pneumonia, especially in those of us with asthma etc I would imagine.

I just know I would feel the same as you, come September I'm sure I will be worried sick about my son going back to school and catching it.

Just want to say I totally understand how you feel although I have no advice.
xxxx

Trouble
13-07-2009, 06:53 PM
there is only 4 days left, they are only playing at school

so i would be tempted to keep them off, as its not just close its very close:thumbsup:

lifes too short babe:D

auntie di says come here and play with us:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Rach30
13-07-2009, 07:50 PM
HMmmm but would you keep them off for seasonal flu or chickenpox or something . And are you gonna stay in the house all summer long ? cause like you say they can catch it from anywhere. But at the end of the day you have to do whats right for you :)

LOOPYLISA
13-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I would keep them home, do you really want your kids ill for the first two weeks of the summer hols, only my opinion hunny,

Just me and hubby were talking about it yesterday and if it was going round in my dd's school we would be keeping her home x x x

venus89
13-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I'd send them into school.
There's another thread where somebody said 60 kids from their school are off now - and most of them are shopping.
Sorry, but you can't protect your kids from this and I feel that the sooner we get it the better, so we can begin to build up a immunity to it.
Yes, there have been deaths but I bet that doesn't stop you goingin a car or walking on a pavement.