PDA

View Full Version : School and swine flu

mandy moo
13-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I havent heard that its in our village YET.
But how many would send their children to school if there was a case of swine flu in school?
I only ask because, my sister works as an LSA at our school, her son is in year 3, and she asys she wouldnt go to work or send her son in if a case was reported there?
What do others think?

singlewiththree
13-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Well I've just heard that our high school has it so by next week it will be in the primary schools. I will still be sending my children until they get it. If they dont catch it from school, nursery then they will get it from somewhere unless I keep them away from other people.

singlewiththree
13-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I have just heard that the primary school where my mindees mum works has it so now they will get it and then pass it on to us.

Hebs
13-07-2009, 04:36 PM
there is 2 cases of swine flu in my daughters school and now 5 cases in my sons school

yes they are still going to school cos by the time the kids are diagnosed they've already been in school while infectious :panic:

so once it's confirmed the chances are they've been exposed to it, and if my kids are going to get it i'd rather them have it now before the regular winter illnesses kick in too making their immune system weaker than normal so less able to fight it off :thumbsup:

aly
13-07-2009, 04:59 PM
there is a case in ou boys school and i have sent mine. tbh its not justa school you can catch it.

I was watching Loose women earlier and colleensson has it along with a friend but they haven't been together. he said he caught it from a tube ride recently [maybe] so you can't really 'conceal' it.

Mollymop
13-07-2009, 06:44 PM
See my thread I just posted, I should have waited and read this one first!! duhh me!

Anyways, I am in 2 minds as what to do! Both my school have swine flu now. I was so hard last week - "no need to keep the kids away bthey will catch it else where, bla de bla" (that was me)

Now I am a freak! "i don't think I can send my kids to school" and why? Because of the news/media, I have just heard there has been 2 more deaths and the people are likely to have been "healthy"

it is spread round here like anything and I really really don't want my children to catch it.

I am not one of these types that tries to wrap their kids up in cotton wool, but I have had flu (proper flu - aches and pains and fevers, NOT a heavy cold as some people think flu is) and it was terrible, dreadful, wouldn't want to wish it on my worst enemy (not that i have one:littleangel: )

I suppose it is likely that they have been exposed to it by now, but maybe they haven't. Maybe if I keep them at home where they are not cooped up with all the others (25 in a class) and only about with me, at home then they may be ok? That is what I am thinking.
I know it seems daft to some, maybe, but we love our kids so much it is only natural to try and protect them, even if I am mad! haha:laughing:

Mouse
13-07-2009, 07:05 PM
The two schools my children go to have got it (one of DS3's friends has it) and the nursery where I take one of my mindees has it.

I'm still sending my children to school as normal and doing the nursery drop off. To be honest it hasn't occurred to me to keep them off. They have already mixed with so many other people that I don't really keep thinking them at home will stop them getting it. I'm just assuming we'll all get it at some time and nasty as it is, we'll get over it.

It is frightening when you see that it has claimed the lives of seemingly healthy people, but I'm sure that statistically there is still only a very, very slight chance of it happening.

Hebs
13-07-2009, 08:04 PM
See my thread I just posted, I should have waited and read this one first!! duhh me!

Anyways, I am in 2 minds as what to do! Both my school have swine flu now. I was so hard last week - "no need to keep the kids away bthey will catch it else where, bla de bla" (that was me)

Now I am a freak! "i don't think I can send my kids to school" and why? Because of the news/media, I have just heard there has been 2 more deaths and the people are likely to have been "healthy"

it is spread round here like anything and I really really don't want my children to catch it.

I am not one of these types that tries to wrap their kids up in cotton wool, but I have had flu (proper flu - aches and pains and fevers, NOT a heavy cold as some people think flu is) and it was terrible, dreadful, wouldn't want to wish it on my worst enemy (not that i have one:littleangel: )

I suppose it is likely that they have been exposed to it by now, but maybe they haven't. Maybe if I keep them at home where they are not cooped up with all the others (25 in a class) and only about with me, at home then they may be ok? That is what I am thinking.
I know it seems daft to some, maybe, but we love our kids so much it is only natural to try and protect them, even if I am mad! haha:laughing:

i honestly do understand where you are coming from cos i pulled my son out of school on friday but i did send him in today as i'd had the weekend to think things through.

IF i stopped sending them to school was i prepared to stop minding cos the mindees might still pass it on, was i only to spend the next few months cooped up indoors just in case??

i honestly think now thats it's SO widespread that it is inevitable that we are all at somepoint going to come into contact with it.

:( just wish it would go away

rickysmiths
13-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Mandy I don't know where in Herts you are but it is quite widespread in Herts now.
My two are at St Clement Danes in Chorleywood and they have had children in the school who have had it, some weeks ago now. and the school has not closed. My son hasn't stopped going to school.

My Gp is convinced one of my mindees has had it, though it was not confirmed. He was sent home until he had fully recovered, about 10 days. None of my other parents have kept their children away and I haven't closed my setting.

I think the thing of washing hands, using tissues and for us being more particular than normal over keeping toys clean is the best we can do.

devoncm
14-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I got told by a freind thiis morning that 2 children in my dd's school have it and they are in yr above and practically next door!

AND schhol hasnt said anything!!!!!!!!!!!

mandy moo
14-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Someone else told me that too Ricky, we're sort of in the middle as wegot Hemel,St Albans, Luton, Berko, Dunstable, all within a 8 mile radius, so its inevitable itll be here sooner rather than later.
Then seeing the news today re the apparently healthy 2 that have died, It makes you wonder wot to do for the best?

mandy moo
14-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I got told by a freind thiis morning that 2 children in my dd's school have it and they are in yr above and practically next door!

AND schhol hasnt said anything!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they ment to/have to tell all parents if its in school?

HomefromHome
14-07-2009, 11:26 AM
this is what is on northants county council site.

sorry, but more people have died from our 'normal' influenza bugs than swine flu in this country, in this year alone. please be aware of media hype (which in turn means its government hype) - we've all got to be a bit more careful with general hygiene, etc, and tbh, its likely that the kids have already come into contact with it, and had no, or mild symptoms (like a runny nose, cough). just my opinion, and i dont blame people for keeping their kids off school; blimmin media have a lot to answer for.

Letter to all schools and “child care premises” provided by HPA on 2nd July 2009

Dear Headteacher,

You will be aware there have been some cases of swine flu diagnosed in children, who obviously will be attending local schools. The Health Protection Agency is aware that this has increased anxiety in both parents and some school staff.

As the number of cases has risen there is increased knowledge about the virus, in particular transmission and an awareness that the virus can spread very easily, as with seasonal flu.
However, it is also apparent that in the majority of cases the illness is fairly mild and in response to this the approach to managing cases has changed.

The current position is that no further testing by taking swabs will be undertaken. Any individual with flu like symptoms, in particular a fever of greater than 38 degrees centigrade, sore throat and headache, should contact their GP or NHS Direct on 0845 4647, who will assess their symptoms. If their symptoms are consistent with swine flu, antivirals will be prescribed and advice given on staying at home until the antivirals are completed.
This will mean that the Health Protection Agency will not be collecting data on confirmed cases. If you need advice on the management of incidents in your school then please contact the Health Protection Unit on 0116 2631400.

Good basic hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including swine flu. This includes:
 Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible.
 Disposing of dirty tissues promptly and carefully.
 Washing your hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to your face or to other people.

 Cleaning hard surfaces (such as door handles) frequently using a normal cleaning product.
 Making sure your children follow this advice.

It is important that schools take this opportunity to review their hand washing facilities to help prevent the spread of infection in this, and subsequent, outbreaks.

While this is the current situation it may change in the near future and we would advise schools to keep up to date by accessing the HPA website- www.hpa.org.uk

samd35
14-07-2009, 11:27 AM
We got a letter home last week to say that there was a confirmed case of swine flu of a mother and pre school age child in my son's school.

Scary!

x

balloon
14-07-2009, 11:41 AM
You're breaking the law if you keep your children off school when they are not ill and lay yourself open to be prosecuted, face a fine or a jail sentence...

I can totally understand how you all feel though. I really am glad my children don't go to school at the moment (well actually I'm glad all of the time but you kow what I mean, lol!)

Just have to hope the mindees don't bring it in now or somebody sneezes all over me, or...

FizzysFriends
14-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a mindee that is showing symptoms, so I may be next to get it.

Ofsted have cancelled my inspection and said they can't come out for a month now.

rickysmiths
14-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a mindee that is showing symptoms, so I may be next to get it.

Ofsted have cancelled my inspection and said they can't come out for a month
now.

If the mindee is showing symptoms thyey should be sent home until they are completly better.

I have had one mindee that we are sure has had it, it is in my childrens High School, my husbands Primary School. None of the schools have closed, none of us have had it and I don't think it is as bad as the normal winter flu from which hundreds die each year, it is as publicised though. Life has to go on .

FizzysFriends
14-07-2009, 01:04 PM
If the mindee is showing symptoms thyey should be sent home until they are completly better.

I have had one mindee that we are sure has had it, it is in my childrens High School, my husbands Primary School. None of the schools have closed, none of us have had it and I don't think it is as bad as the normal winter flu from which hundreds die each year, it is as publicised though. Life has to go on .

Should have said, shes home with her mom not with me, I don't want it!! But because she came for a bit yestarday ofsted don't want to come as she said I could have it and not know. He mom is keeping in contact though as she is worried that her DD could have passed something to my DD (not bothered about me just DD).