PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted and dogs

louise
19-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi, Hubbie is going mad for a dog again. He has wanted one since we got together. I have kept putting it off for one reason or another and getting the gulit trip each time. I dont think we can afford it we already have 2 cats and rabbit. He does only want a small dog though but ill be the one everyday walking it and picking up after it in garden.
Im now worried about being a childminder and ofsted. We only have a small house and finding somewhere for the bed will be interesting. What does Ofsted expect you to do.
Thanks lou

tinytigers
19-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Hello

Not sure if I am correct but we have a dog, only a little shihtzu, so have had a look in the standards.

It says something about not letting them mess where the children will play, that wont be a problem for us as I will take her out before children come. Also the children are to be kept away from feeding bowls. I have a large crate that Daisy sleeps in bless and her food bowl is kept in there. If the children are nervous of her to start with she likes to spend time in her crate as it is quite big. She is lovely tho but gets a bit excited when someone comes first.

We only have a small garden so am hoping that she can play in the garden with the children providing she doesnt mess.

If this is incorrect please feel free to correct me.

tinytigers
19-02-2008, 12:28 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Granny Murray from Me Too on CBeebies is childminding Samson today. He is a big border collie lol.

louise
19-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks so it seems the same as for cats. Where is her bed? I dont have a hall. The kitchen is taken over by the table living room by toys!! The only place i can think of is our bedroom but i really dont want that. Its easy with cats they please themselves one will happily go out all day and the kitten tries to join in! very comical when she tries to help with sticking!
Also how much are jabs ect?

chelle
19-02-2008, 12:45 PM
hi,jane is right we have a little lhasa apsos everytime he has a tiddle i wash it away and i walk him on a morning so its not often he has a number 2 in the garden, ofsted didnt have a problem with me having a dog. he is due his jabs anytime now and i think it will cost about £25-£30 its not cheap.:rolleyes:
love chelle.xx

tinytigers
19-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh yes forgot to mention that they have to be up to date with worming, fleaing and injections.

Daisy bed is in her crate and that stays in the living room behind the settee. Luckily our living room is quite big as its a thru room living/dining room.

jaz
19-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Granny Murray from Me Too on CBeebies is childminding Samson today. He is a big border collie lol.

If its good enough for Granny Murray then who are we to argue!

ps I base all my work on her, Granny Murray rules :laughing:

Mollymop
19-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a Lhasa Apso, the ofsted inspector fussed him up no end when she came for my visit.
I think you just have to make sure you clean up the dog poo.
Not to put you off or anything, but when they are puppies they chew everything that's in site, books, toys, shoes and it took my Bilbo a good year to get him completely house trained, he was often weeing and pooing in the house and he was often doggie sick. I am sooooo glad those days are long gone now. It really was a hard first year. He is 5 now.
As for a bed, Bilbo used to have one but never used it, now he just lays in his fave spot on my sofa or on the bottom step on our stairs.
I don't want to put you off as I know what it's like to really want a dog, but please think hard about it, as it is hard work at first, in my experience, puppies and toys/books, not a good idea.

louise
19-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Thats one of my points that it will chew everthing. It will be me doing everything no doubt ill end up doing the walks aswell. Hubbie moaned about our kitten when she had accidents. I know he wants one but im not ready to take it on if im honest but i feel bad keep on putting him off. We have no where to put a bed.
thanks for all the advice.

tulip0803
19-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I got a LabxWhippet 8 month old puppy before I started childminding and he ate the carpet, the 3 piece suite, the door posts, the expensive new pair of boots that I ummed and ahhhed over buying, a wicker waste paper bin (huge mess:eek: ) various toys, books videos playstation games.

I accidently left the rabbits hay in the hall and it was obviously a threat to the house cos he killed the bag and dragged it into every room of the house and shook it:laughing: .

I couldn't have nets at the window cos he pulled them down I only had a small garden and was on the main route to the hospital and got many strange looks doing dingle dangle scarecrow with the kids.

Oh and he nearly killed himself by chewing through the telly power cable!.

I still have him but now he just wants to sleep all the time. I am NEVER having another.

Juliaxx

littletreasures
19-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Not all puppies chew everything, honest.

When my retriever, Harvey, was a pup, all he chewed was my son's Action Man hand. Toby thought it was great as it looked like Action Man had lost his hand in action. He was toilet trained very quickly as well, which was good because after we had him for 2 weeks we had to go into rented accommodation due to a house fire and he didn't wee or poo in the house at all.

Bailey, the labx never chewed, but he had a cage to go in. We put him in there at night and when we were going out for long periods. Perhaps, because he had Harvey to watch he was really good.

The cage is the best, as you can put the puppy in there if it is becoming too excited with the little kids or to give it some peace and quiet from the children.

Jules

sandy
19-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi

I say keep putting him off !!

I've got 2 dogs, one big, one little and as much as i luv 'em, they're a pain in the bum !!

As usual everything is left to me and I start work at 7.30am so not funny.

They do need regular injection, worming and de-fleaing. Bowls and bed to be kept out of childrens reach.
Mine stay in the kitchen ( not ideal, but fine by ofsted ) or go in the garage if we are doing a kitchen activity.

On the plus side the kids love them and like to go out on walks. Trouble is I can only take one dog at a time---I know my limits !!

Do what's right for you, not your hubby. You know it'll be you doing all the work in the end. It's always the way ha ha

Sandy x

manjay
19-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Sorry can't help! I don't do animals! :D

amanda xx

JO S
19-02-2008, 06:16 PM
We've got a golden lab and he's usually in the porch when I'm working so he's out of the way.
I make sure he's had a walk in the morning before I start so there's no danger of him pooing in the garden.
Ofsted were fine about us having pets (we've also got two cats) in fact when I had my pre reg inspection the ofsted lady said "oh let him in, he's lovely" (meaning dog not husband!) When I did let him in she let him eat biscuits off the plate I'd given her!! I was cringing but daren't say anything!

Jo. x

Tily Bud
19-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I can honestly say that ofsted have never said anything or questioned me about my dog x he is 14 1/2 now and totally docile his mat is in the kitchen/ diner his water bowl on the floor in the kitchen anmd ofsted never commented on this. I just included him in my risk assassments eg ; wash bedding regularly, clean bowls, mop floor daily etc x

louise
19-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Thank you everyone.
I have promised he could have one as soon as we talked of moving in together. I think its as ive never had a dog give me a cat anyday.
Ive now told him we will have to find out which will be the right dog for us adn see if we can help walk at the dogs home to get use to handling a dog. He now has to wait untill i have given up my job on a fri which will hopefully be by sept. i think we may have to let it sleep in our room as we use the kitchen a lot. So now im on a hunt to find a dog thats good with kids,cats, rabbits, not too big(mum was bitten by alsation when i was younger so i dont like overpowering dogs) not too little(needs to be a mans dog) any ideas

Monkey1
19-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I have two Cavalier king charles spaniels and they are fab with the kids and the cats. Had them both from pups, not chewed apart from a couple of pieces of duplo! You do need up to date vaccination certificates. Would really recommend this breed. If ofsted moaned about my dogs i would give up minding first...i love my babies!
First photo is Buddie, Rosie, belonging to my friends then my Sammy on the right. Other photo is Delila, my first baby!

miffy
19-02-2008, 09:27 PM
What about adopting a dog from the rspca?

Miffy xx

louise
19-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Monkey. My aunt use to have a black one he was lovely. I think they are cute hubbie said he likes them but they are too girly. Well i say if i have to have help i get a choice aswell.
we have looked at our local dogs home before and trying to find one that can be rehomed with young kids and cats is difficult. But we wouldnt say no both our aunts and hubbies Gran have got rehomed dogs before.
Lou

berkschick
19-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I have two Cavalier king charles spaniels and they are fab with the kids and the cats. Had them both from pups, not chewed apart from a couple of pieces of duplo! You do need up to date vaccination certificates. Would really recommend this breed. If ofsted moaned about my dogs i would give up minding first...i love my babies!
First photo is Buddie, Rosie, belonging to my friends then my Sammy on the right. Other photo is Delila, my first baby!

We always had Cavalier king charles when we were growing up. They were so lovely! Very good natured and funny! If I ever got a dog it would be one of these.

Monkey1
19-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Monkey. My aunt use to have a black one he was lovely. I think they are cute hubbie said he likes them but they are too girly. Well i say if i have to have help i get a choice aswell.
we have looked at our local dogs home before and trying to find one that can be rehomed with young kids and cats is difficult. But we wouldnt say no both our aunts and hubbies Gran have got rehomed dogs before.
Lou

Not girlie, tell him they are totty magnets, my 15 year old has just discovered this! If my hubby can take them out ( he looks like Phil and Grant Mitchells long lost brother) than anyone can. Infact he says they are his babies!

Lou
19-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Is that you in the photo monkey??

Monkey1
19-02-2008, 09:47 PM
yep, on one of my better days!

Lou
19-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Gosh now way are you in late 30s???????????????????????

you look fab girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkey1
19-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh bless you Lou, think i will have your name tatooed on my back! Lady in Homebase said that too today. She was asking if i had kids of my own , when i said three, 9,12 1nd 15 she called me a liar!:laughing: :laughing:

lindylou
19-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi only my opinion and my daughter says i should not give it but keep putting of your decision to have a dog i dont do animals as i am a childminder and i feel that babies and dogs should not mix for hygiene reasons .
You are probably all going to go mad
Linxxxxxxxxxx

Monkey1
19-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi only my opinion and my daughter says i should not give it but keep putting of your decision to have a dog i dont do animals as i am a childminder and i feel that babies and dogs should not mix for hygiene reasons .
You are probably all going to go mad
Linxxxxxxxxxx

Not at all . Pets are not for everyone, personally i feel it is in a childs interest to learn how to respect and care for animals. It works for me and a lot of my parents love it as the children get the benifit here so they dont have to have them at home.
Monkey x

Lou
19-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I am a bit similar to you, i am not an animal person at all, esp dogs, sorry monkey et all.

They dribble, they drop hairs, they stink, they jump up at everyone and you HAVE TO PICK UP POO!!!!!

Having said that i do agree children need to learn about caring for pets etc, so i bit my tongue and we have a rabbit and a cat.

I LOVE THE CAT!!!

Cant bear the rabbit sorry, no point to it being here, its nasty and wont let us pick it up etc

anyway i am rambling and have forgotton the point.............

Nope dont think i had one xxx

lindylou
19-02-2008, 10:12 PM
only my opinion but keep putting it of babies and dogs should not mix for hygiene reasons my daughter says i should keep quiet but dogs are not very hygienic .
My freind used to childmind and used to keep her dog basket in the kitchen how unhygienic is that
Linxx

Cammie Doodle
19-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Ah poor dogs Lindylou , some dogs are better behaved, dribble less and make less mess and smells than some babies I have cared for lol:laughing:
Im a lover of dogs and babies (dont have a dog at present but I have in the past ) but everyone to their own. Ofsted have never had a prob whilst we had a dog, I just showed her Vet record card date of worming etc and you only had to see her to know she was cared for and all areas kept clean. The children all loved caring for her and going for walks etc. :thumbsup:

lindylou
19-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes i agree the children could learn something by looking after and caring for a pet but maybe a rabbit that is kept outside or some tropical fish as lou says hair everywhere smells poo ect not hygienic for a childminder
linxx

Cammie Doodle
19-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey Lou at least I cleaned up after my dog I have other peoples cats come in my garden to poo and it makes me mad as hell. But as I said before everyone to their own, we are all different.:thumbsup:

lindylou
19-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes you are right june we have a woman next door but one and before me and my assistant can let are minded children out we have to do a mega risk assesment just incase we have got any cat poo in my garden
Linxx

louise
20-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Lin, Apart from the dribbling you described our kitten. My MIL hates cats and screams when ever ours goes near her.
I prefer minding older kids then babies i currently only mind a 2 year old whos Nan has a large dog which he loves and ive mentioned to the mum about us maybe getting one at some point. She had no problems with it.

yummymummy
20-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi Louise,
Have read the thread with interest and can't seem to find if anyone has mentioned that although Ofsted are ok with dogs have you thought of the parents who aren't dog lovers? Just thought I'd mention that you may be losing out on some prospective mindees if their parents or the children don't like dogs. If your area is really busy on the childminding front go for it! But if it is anything like my area it may be something to bear in mind and a good excuse to give hubby for not having a dog if you really don't want the extra work involved!

crazybones
20-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Think I should get my eyes tested. I read the thread title as Ofsted ARE dogs. :laughing: :laughing:

Annie x

Mollymop
20-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Think I should get my eyes tested. I read the thread title as Ofsted ARE dogs. :laughing: :laughing:

Annie x

:laughing:

Mollymop
20-02-2008, 10:04 AM
A lot of dogs are ok. Yes they poo and you have to clean up the mess, but not all dogs smell and drop hairs everywhere. Mine is a Lhasa Apso, he is long haired, this type of dog hair does not moult, so he goes to the doggie hairdressers every 8 weeks and we bath him once a week at home.

But if I had a choice of getting a dog now I am becoming a childminder I would probably not do it. But then I wouldn't get a cat either, they scare me, it's there claws. But then with a dog, it's their jaws.:D

tinytigers
20-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes my little Daisy a shihtzu poops but that is all. She goes to the hairdressers lol every 10-12 weeks and doesnt moult and also has a bath every 1-2 weeks and smells nice all the time.

Monkey1
20-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I have been pondering on the things Lindylou said about dogs and hygiene when childminding. The more i think about it i agree that its a real issue!.....
The amount of times the kids have sneezed all over and wiped snot on them i'm suprised they are not ill all the time!:D :D

Lou
20-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I have been pondering on the things Lindylou said about dogs and hygiene when childminding. The more i think about it i agree that its a real issue!.....
The amount of times the kids have sneezed all over and wiped snot on them i'm suprised they are not ill all the time!:D :D

OH Monkey you do make me laugh....

Unfortunatly this is soo true, my 1 yr old mindee crawled past the cat the other day and on route wiped a big load of snot all down his back!!!! NICE

Monkey1
20-02-2008, 08:48 PM
You know me Lou..i aim to please!....except when you diss Kylie!

angeldelight
20-02-2008, 09:02 PM
You are really getting around tonight Monkey

xx

louise
20-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I understand about babies but i dont really want to mind babies i prefer them at toddlers. My current mindees nan has a dog and he loves it. Yes it may put parents off but so could my cats. My Kitten was a nightmare climbing on kitchen worktops, playing with the toys but i delt with it in the neccesary ways.Still is, I have had to move my flowers as she keeps attacking them. The more i think about it i think Misty is a dog in disguise.
Thank you everyone for your views.

Monkey1
20-02-2008, 09:30 PM
You are really getting around tonight Monkey

xx

Dont know why but lots of people say that about me!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

devoncm
21-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I have 2 doogs, both collies so will get bigger, my older one has learnt to keep away from the kids toys and is happy to lie down and will be happy watching, my puppy though is a bit more lively and wants to be in on everything, he has a crate he sleeps in so when he does get over exited or the children get too rough with him he goes in there with bones and toys.
When ofsted came for there visit i had to have a separate place for kids and dogs-this was easy as i have un level garden kind of patio but steps down to grass,there was a little wall separating so i had to put a gate in that i could lock and make the wall a bit higher so the children cant get over it(i had everything i needed so cost was small)so now the children play on the patio as this is bigger and the dogs get the grass-all i need now is a kennel and the dogs can stay out most of the day:) :)

Niecynoo
23-02-2008, 03:42 AM

Well said Monkey :clapping: :laughing: it did make me laff......
I have a yorkshire terrier she stays in the kitchen :eek: :eek: my house is clean germ free and not full of dog hairs is it Linda ?? It has never been a prob with my minding and i have to protct her from the kids as she's soo small xxx[/COLOR]

Tatia
23-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I have two dogs, a gorgeous Cocker Spaniel and a Greyhound we adopted from a rescue kennel. Both are good natured, gorgeous, kid loving boys. I even had a parent choose me because I HAVE dogs and she wanted it to be therapy to help her son overcome his fear of dogs! We are fencing a separate area for the dogs for outdoor activites and I don't have them in the house when the crawling baby is here but the after-school kids love to bring them in or go outside and fuss over them (always supervised of course because as much as I trust them, they are still animals at the end of the day).

Absolutely it is extra work for me, especially the Cocker, as he sheds like there's no tomorrow (despite six-weekly visits to groomers - hence we have started having him shaved in the summer). I have to hoover and run a damp mop every day but then, I'd do that even if I weren't childminding. They're both very clean, have never chewed anything and my home is very hygeinic. I think it just boils down to whether you are a dog person or not. I don't mind the extra work for a dog. I hate being responsible for caged animals, though. Yuck! Just re-homed the guinea pig.

Checking for poo in the garden is on my daily risk assessment although in reality, I check every time we go outside, just in case. OFSTED inspectors have always fussed over the dogs and seemed to ask more questions about them than about my childminding!

I have a separate policy on my dogs that parents sign especially to say they are okay with it and OFSTED appreciated that.