PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying my job

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok my life is still busy and hectic and I am awaiting the pending phone call from Ofsted for my inspection but,..... this morning on my ring rounds I was talking to 2 minders (separately!!!) who both said now that they have muddled through the starts of EYFS, they have both kicked back a bit and relaxed as they have become confident with what they are doing and have started to enjoy their jobs again and its given them a clear sense of direction.

I must admit I am the same - I have relished EYFS, I have struggled at points (but that is my fault - must learn not to take on so much) but I am throughly enjoying my job. I love being with the kids. I love understanding why the kids are doing something or why something helps them and I love knowing how to move it forwards. OK, I knew a lot of this before EYFS but over the last 2 years my horizons have been broaden so much and it shows in my practice. I am getting so much satisfaction out of what I do. For example after our planned activity of gluing stuff - the kids went out to play in the garden while I cleared up - I loved just standing watching and listening. I then popped a tray outside and stuck two bottles of shaving foam and two aprons. They had a whale of a time and didn't realise I was watching, and videoing. Got some fab footage! Put some music on as well and they were dancing around in the garden - brilliant!

I am not running around like a headless chicken trying to complete tons of paperwork, nor am I taking zillions of photos -I have definately chilled out and realise that the quality of my written work is what counts - ensuring that it accurately reflects my practice = EYFS. I have made EYFS work for me and tbh its no different to what I was doing before

grindal
13-07-2009, 02:56 PM
What a great post - it is good to see that someone with lots of experience of childminding has managed to make EYFS work for them.
Thanks for the inspiration and confidence boost!!

haribo
13-07-2009, 03:55 PM
i agree totally . if anything eyfs has helped me see what a good job i do so i also feel more relaxed , and not always wondering what to do next just see where things lead us sometimes lol although you said it better !

Polly2
13-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Pip your post is a breath of fresh air :clapping:

We really do have the best job! We all have our down moments but its important to remind ourselves when its going well :clapping:

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I am totally enjoying my job(s), glad its inspiring others too:D (cor blimey I am on a roll lately :littleangel: ) I do think a positive frame of mind really helps - believing in yourself and your abilities.

Roseolivia
13-07-2009, 05:11 PM
The last few weeks i've not enjoyed this job as much but i've had a great day today. The mindee who causes me concern has really behaved and it's made me feel better after mum told me what his school report says about his behaviour and he's exactly the same here and at home. It's made me not feel like a bad minder.

FussyElmo
13-07-2009, 05:16 PM
What a lovely post!!!!

Need to ask were you sitting next to me today as I have been telling another cm all you need is positive attitude and belief in yourself!!!

I love how the EYFS has brought all the good bits of the job together and you can see them grow in their learning journal. Yes I used to do a scrapbook but it wasnt anything like what I do now.

I love just watching the children especially when they dont know - you see so much. Getting to the point when I go to toddlers i doing it to all the children:blush:

youarewhatyoueat
13-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I've got to agree with you, the more I practice the eyfs the quicker I have become but I actually am understanding what i'm doing now which is a major break through. I'm enjoying the training courses, great for networking, and i'm definately getting more confident. My 2 irritations are that I constantly look at what i'm doing to make sure it would satisfy ofsted and I still struggle with the work/family/life balance although it is improving.

Minstrel
13-07-2009, 07:04 PM
AS someone who has not quite started yet and daunted by the whole thing- its lovely to hear. Thanks for that x

Tatjana
13-07-2009, 08:00 PM
How nice to read your post, you sound very satisfied and content!:thumbsup:

xx

beckyteddy
14-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

I'm fairly new to childminding but having started off a bit daunted by the whole thing I feel like I am now getting to grips with all the EYFS stuff and have kind of turned a corner.......I seem to be doing it all automatically now rather than needing tick lists to remember everything.

Thanks for the positiveness (if thats a word!) and I'll say a big "cheers" to all of us for choosing such a fab job!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: