PDA

View Full Version : smelly child

Bananabrain
13-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi all, just want to canvass opinion really as I'm not sure what to do.

I mind a two yr old, have had him for about 4 months now.

I know there are quite a few issues going on at home and we have had issues with his behaviour. My problem is that not only does he smell of cigarette smoke but also very strongly of wee {so much so that when I do his nappy it nearly knocks me over}:laughing:

My hubby says I should say something but I don't know, What would you do?

Is it my business to be telling mum her child smells? I know they live in a flat and both smoke around him but I can't physically stop them can I?

And if I were to say something,how do I go about it??{I must just add that I think I have a strong stomach and could deal with most things but this is something else. Like the child hasn't been washed in weeks}

Be grateful for opinions.

wendywu
13-07-2009, 12:05 PM
If his urine is strong is he getting enough fluids to drink. Or has he got a urine infection.

The Juggler
13-07-2009, 12:12 PM
If his urine is strong is he getting enough fluids to drink. Or has he got a urine infection.

I agree that is a possible cause. Also even if you think it's down to lack of bathtimes raising it with a concern over urine infection or lack of fluids means you can raise the issue without directing it at her lack of care.

Just mention your concerns and say babies don't usually smell so strongly of urine. Record your conversation and concerns. Perhaps recommend she takes him to doctor for check up. Then you can keep an eye on it.

If things don't improve maybe speak to local advisor or CDO.

Bananabrain
13-07-2009, 12:22 PM
That's a jolly good idea. Didn't think of a urine infection, in any case I can use that as a way in which to approach it with mum.

God what would I do without this forum? Thanks guys.

ajs
13-07-2009, 12:26 PM
the urine infection is a good idea

i have a child who never changes her socks and not only are they dirty they stink too. i have tried getting her to leave them here so i can wash them and she can wear clean socks the next day but mum always says to her grab your socks as we leave.

good luck

loocyloo
13-07-2009, 01:20 PM
how about have a very bubbly water play tray, with bath toys etc, and then tell mum how much he enjoyed it and give him a bit of bubblebath or something to take home, so he can 'share' the experience with mum?

xxx

Tinglesnark
13-07-2009, 01:31 PM
did you say that he wears nappies still? i know that this isnt sorting out the root of the problem but at least if you were to wash his bum with warm soapy water at nappy changes at least he would smell better and i am sure that you can get dry shampoo for his hair? are you allowed to do things like that? i am pre-reg atm so i am just brainstorming x

poor little booger!

margimum
13-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I think I would have lots of water play sessions especially in the warm weather where he can strip off and "accidently"? get clean;) His clothes may also have to fall in!! You would be right to check for medical problems too.

mandy moo
13-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I think I would have lots of water play sessions especially in the warm weather where he can strip off and "accidently"? get clean;) His clothes may also have to fall in!! You would be right to check for medical problems too.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Daftbat
13-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I used to look after two boys who had cats at home which sprayed. Their shoes especially would smell of cat pee and i used to put them in the garage rather than the house (the shoes not the boys!), I have also been known to wash coats and febreeze things too to make it better.

beckyteddy
13-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Their shoes especially would smell of cat pee and i used to put them in the garage rather than the house (the shoes not the boys!)

That made me smile!!!

Baildon bears
13-07-2009, 09:49 PM
How sad, the parents have the right to smoke, but the poor child has no choose but to smoke, I feel this is abuse.

Deb
13-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I would be going along the soapy water play route too; and mentioning the urine thing. I have washed coats and shoes and allsorts too - you have to be discrete and there are only so many times you can say, 'he spilled his drink on his coat so I chucked it in the wash with some other stuff, hope you dont mind'. :)

theoldwoman
13-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I used to have two little girls who came from a very animaly house, chickens inside etc. They smelt so bad I used to bath them and put my sons clothes on them (I only had boys then) just so I could hold them. Then just before Mum came I had to put their smelly clothes back on which was horrible.

While talking about her I must tell you what she did - Mum was a Vet and if I couldn't have the baby she used to take it to work with her and if she was operating or something she would put her in the cat cage with a whiff of anesthetic to keep her quiet!!!! This was over 20 years ago. They were lovely children amazingly.

Sue

Deb
13-07-2009, 10:09 PM
lmao Oldwoman!

Blaze
14-07-2009, 12:00 AM
I used to have two little girls who came from a very animaly house, chickens inside etc. They smelt so bad I used to bath them and put my sons clothes on them (I only had boys then) just so I could hold them. Then just before Mum came I had to put their smelly clothes back on which was horrible.

While talking about her I must tell you what she did - Mum was a Vet and if I couldn't have the baby she used to take it to work with her and if she was operating or something she would put her in the cat cage with a whiff of anesthetic to keep her quiet!!!! This was over 20 years ago. They were lovely children amazingly.

Sue

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

emler
14-07-2009, 04:38 AM
I would be surprised if it was a urine infection to be honest. One of the symptoms of an infection is very strong smelling wee but the child would be in alot of discomfort & would be poorly if he had one. My daughter has had a few urine infections and has been quite unwell each time with a very high temperature etc & she would cry when she did the toilet as it was so sore. I'm inclined to think it's more of a bathing issue!

twiggy
14-07-2009, 11:35 AM
My own daughter who is showered daily came home from school smelling of stale urine, I took her to the doctors and she had a urine infection so that could be a possible cause.

I have had smelly children to mind in the past and have had to make an excuse (e.g another child had sneezed on their hair) and have given them a bath.

Hope you get it sorted.

Kat
19-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I have little boy year old with me and he also has parents which smoke in the house… the smell of boy cloths and everything … horrible … I just washed all his cloths which have ‘in case’ in my home… bath him …put cream …  my plan is to speak with mum regarding his horrible cough problem for last 3 weeks and I am planning to say that may be one of the reasons is that they smoke in the house … not sure how is she going to take it but this smell is terrible and POOR KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don’t know how nurseries are dealing with that kind of problems???

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Sue

Put her in the cat cage :eek:

Minstrel
19-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Put her in the cat cage :eek:

Reminds me of Doc Martin if anyone watched it last night! :panic:

little daisies
19-10-2009, 12:35 PM
i ued to look after a little boy that had previously been on child protection register for neglect. anyway he always came in his older brothers clothes that where way too big and filthy he melt all the time and his face and hands were really dirty one day he came and when i changed his nappy i was nearly physically sick with the smell:eek: after consulting my network co-ordinator i did report it to social services i gave notice jut after a mum messed me about too much.

AnnieM
19-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Years ago I looked after a little girl of 18 months, temporarily for another minder who was ill and every morning she came to me in the most filthy nappy, hanging round her knees, no clothes and just wrapped in a cellular blanket, it was February!!:( Her mum sent her clothes in a carrier bag, which I left there, they stunk of wee and smoke and were always sticky and crunchy. :panic: I went out first day and bought her a couple of outfits and a snowsuit, she went straight in the bath as soon as mum left and then had the nice clean clothes on until it was time to go home, when I had to concede defeat and put the crunchy clothes on..... The kids were actually taken into care not long after that as she was having substance abuse problems, they were back with mum a couple of years later and I still see them occasionally, but they aren't that much better now!! I find it so very sad... :(

mumx3
20-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I would perhaps question the urine infection just to bring it to mums attention that you have noticed the smell.

Then do some very messy play with gloop or something and bath him and wash his clothes! Poor child.

Chanelle
20-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I would perhaps question the urine infection just to bring it to mums attention that you have noticed the smell.

Then do some very messy play with gloop or something and bath him and wash his clothes! Poor child.

It just occured to me that we actually look acfter some of these kiddies better than the parent. We actually want them to be clean and not smell. We want to wash trheir clothes.

What a shame there are parents out there who just dont give a d***