PDA

View Full Version : cant belive what was in his beaker

nikki13
13-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I picked up lo this morning age 11 months mum provides drinks for him as i only give milk and water. went to give him his blackcurrent at snack time and thought it looked stronger than usual so went to water it down only to realise it wasnt juice it was coke!!!:(

Bananabrain
13-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Nothing would surprise me in this job any more. Some parents really don't have a clue. It's done wonders for my self-esteem as I realised I'm actually not a bad mum!

Coke for a baby. That's so sad.

Tinglesnark
13-07-2009, 11:36 AM
:eek:
i cant understand people like that??? why would anyone think that would be a refreshing drink for a baby?? :angry: some people need some serious education!!

will you mention it to her?

sweets
13-07-2009, 11:41 AM
poor little baby!
I know that a lot of childminders only offer milk and water and i can understand why, but i also think that offering watered down fresh fruit juice is a good drink for children and also offers a bit of variety. Could you not come to a compromise with mum and say that you will offer this so she doesn't need to provide babies drinks anymore. It may be against your principles but at least baby will be getting something healthier than coke!

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 11:42 AM
It doesn't surprise me sadly, think I guessed even before I opened your post. And they will wonder why their child is bouncing at bedtime, being hyper during the day, teeth drop out or are rotted by the age of 5:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 11:44 AM
poor little baby!
I know that a lot of childminders only offer milk and water and i can understand why, but i also think that offering watered down fresh fruit juice is a good drink for children and also offers a bit of variety. Could you not come to a compromise with mum and say that you will offer this so she doesn't need to provide babies drinks anymore. It may be against your principles but at least baby will be getting something healthier than coke!

I offer Hi-Juices and watered down pure juices. Yes occasionally for older children as a treat we have pop - and I mean occasionally and its normally lemonade.

Roseolivia
13-07-2009, 11:53 AM
That's terrible. I'm very fussy with Rose, the only time she has juice is with her supper which it's watered down cranberry juice or occasionally at playgroup. The mindees have watered down apple juice occasionally but i'm a meanie and only give them water.

LOOPYLISA
13-07-2009, 11:55 AM
:eek: It actually doesn't surprise me at all,

My dd is 11 and only allowed coke on special occasions :thumbsup:

Hebs
13-07-2009, 12:03 PM
my kids love tropical juice :D

unfortunatly it's me who's the coke cola addict :blush:

Bushpig
13-07-2009, 12:07 PM
My mindees have loads of juice at home.. so the days they're with me they get water, water and more water! A couple of them used to refuse water at home... mum was worried they wouldn't drink mine, but they do drink it here (there's no choice anyway is there?) - they drink loads oh water - and now they'll drink it at home too.

The Juggler
13-07-2009, 12:08 PM
:eek: It actually doesn't surprise me at all,

My dd is 11 and only allowed coke on special occasions :thumbsup:

so glad that it's not just me. My nearly 10 year old thinks I am the meanest mum in the world but believe me he doesn't need anything to make him more hyper!

georgie456
13-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh my goodness that is ridiculous!!! Who gives coke to a baby???!!!!:eek:
I would either say to her that you will not be letting the child drink it in your setting as it is not appropriate for keeping him hydrated, or be tipping it down the sink once she's gone.

PixiePetal
13-07-2009, 12:26 PM
my kids love tropical juice :D

unfortunatly it's me who's the coke cola addict :blush:

My own kids drink water or orange juice. Always have done since babies when they went off milk by 1 yr. now teens.

mindees have water, milk or watered down juice - with very weak blackcurrant at toddlers.

I too am a (diet) coke addict! Trying to cut down. Don't drink tea or coffee though :blush:

nikki13
13-07-2009, 12:29 PM
it went straight down the sink and was replaced by water which he drank all 6oz at once no stopping. i did use to offer juice but they all wanted different ones and was costein me a fortune i have 15 after schoolers over the week so thats when i changed to just water much healthier as well and no arguments

haribo
13-07-2009, 12:29 PM
i dont even buy coke for my grown up daughters ( if its ever in the house its usually to go with my bacardi :blush: ) i offer water or watered down orange juice to mindees like someone said they get plenty of juice at home cos they refuse water there ! one mindees parents were amazed when they saw her happily drinking water here :rolleyes: the same one arrives in the morning with jelly tots and asks mum for them when she gets picked up ( a bribe to get her in the car ) we can only do our best and hopefully lead by example !

nannymcflea
13-07-2009, 12:45 PM
All my lo's drink water, or sometimes we'll have pure juice. BUT parents do say "well he/she won't drink it for me"!:rolleyes:

Helen79
13-07-2009, 12:59 PM
That's awful, poor baby.

We only have milk & water here.
Parents don't send drinks here, one turns up with a bottle of squash some days but it stays in the pushchair & they drink out of my beakers.

cabby
13-07-2009, 01:10 PM
i saw a baby( about 14 months) in town at the weekend, she had 2 baby bottles in her hands, one looked like it had coke in it and the other looked like cold tea:eek: she was taking a drink from one then the other straight after:eek:

chewy sweets
13-07-2009, 02:13 PM
:eek: Someone i knew used to give their 13 month old sherbert dips!!! :eek:
The little one had only just grown teeth and the mother was rotting the as soon as they were breaking through! Made me cringe!:angry:

mandy moo
13-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I like many other only offer water, occasionaly fresh fruit juice or milk.
coke and stuff is for special occasions.
I have a 10 yr old friend of my sons round for tea every now and then, when I asked him wanted to drink he said coke, I replied we dont have that in our house he then asked for lemonade, Nope sorry nor that either, water or milk thats it.
He was astounded we didnt have any, he apparently has it with all (his words) his meals.

haribo
13-07-2009, 03:41 PM
lol they make you feel so bloomin mean dont they --till you remind yourself your protecting their teeth and saving them potential unnecessary fillings :))

jibberjitz
13-07-2009, 07:48 PM
OMG I just dont get some people :eek:

mushpea
13-07-2009, 07:56 PM
that is disgusting,, my kids are 8 and 10 and they only get one glass of coke each on a sat night as a treat.
I do give them all squash, water or milk , i did stop giving juice at one point but on a particulay hot couple of days i had to kids that were dehydrating as they would only drink a small amount of water and i decided that it would be betterif they drank ver diluted juice than nothing at all

Rach30
13-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Whats wrong with squash then people ????

sweets
13-07-2009, 08:25 PM
squash is ok i think i use it if ive run out of fresh but i always buy the sugar one, i always think that sugar is sugar and as long as teeth are cleaned then its ok but i don't like saccarins and sweetners as we don't really know the long term problems it can cause! there has been talk that they can cause some cancers!

haribo
13-07-2009, 08:27 PM

well even very diluted it can harm teeth , if taken through a straw the contact with teeth is reduced but in a bottle or beaker can cause serious decay as the teeth are coated with fruit acids and sugars . and if you clean the teeth straight after drinking fruit juices the acid softens tooth enamel so its washed away , which isnt good :(

ORKSIE
13-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I had a parent who gave there child VIMTO:eek: I told them this was not good, but still they sent it....I used to throw it down the sink!

sweets
13-07-2009, 09:35 PM
well even very diluted it can harm teeth , if taken through a straw the contact with teeth is reduced but in a bottle or beaker can cause serious decay as the teeth are coated with fruit acids and sugars . and if you clean the teeth straight after drinking fruit juices the acid softens tooth enamel so its washed away , which isnt good :(

teeth shouldn't be cleaned straight after eating fruit either

Chell
13-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a mean Mummy, my 11mth old gets water or milk. My older two have weak High Juice but it is limited so they have to have water or milk too.

I

Deb
13-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh God what's wrong with Vimto? Surely when watered down 10:1 it wont make their teeth combust?

daniellemummy
13-07-2009, 10:31 PM
oh that is awful!! poor baby!!

I'm only pre reg but am planning on providing just milk and water

(although notably myself....am a total diet coke addict!! terrible I know!!)

:laughing:

mushpea
14-07-2009, 05:53 AM
i thought my son had a healthy kind to teeth diet untill the dentist told me that the worst thing he could have was fruit due to the naturel sugars and acid:eek: obviously he stilll has fruit and also squash, if we went with everything the 'proffesionals' said we would never go anywhere, do anything or eat/drink anything:rolleyes:
everything in moderation

margimum
14-07-2009, 06:25 AM
i thought my son had a healthy kind to teeth diet untill the dentist told me that the worst thing he could have was fruit due to the naturel sugars and acid:eek: obviously he stilll has fruit and also squash, if we went with everything the 'proffesionals' said we would never go anywhere, do anything or eat/drink anything:rolleyes:
everything in moderation

Well said!
I give mindees robinson's squash but if they finish 1 cup and ask for more i offer water. If they are thirsty they say yes!!
Everything in moderation is a good motto

balloon
14-07-2009, 07:44 AM
It's unbelievable what some parents think is ok for babies to drink.

I've had babies with tea, milk and sugar, Ribena, and coffee come here!

(Ribena says on it's own bottle not to be given to under 3's!!!)

Is it any wonder kiddies are bad tempered, hyper and play up a lot?

Chatterbox Childcare
14-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Crikey don't they realise anything about tooth decay?

Must have been a mistake? I cannot believe any parent would do that deliberately

pinklady
14-07-2009, 08:42 AM
:eek:

ds1 is 8 and I haven't allowed him to have coke yet.

mandy moo
14-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Each to their own, me personally, I just dont like the taste so I dont buy it, same with coke, pepsi etc cant stand the stuff so I dont buy it:blush:
and as its me that does all the food shopping thats tough..lol

dizzydeb,!!!!!!
14-07-2009, 10:24 AM
hi there new member here, :blush: :blush: thats awful poor child, my friends baby she was six months at the time , she had nothing left in her bottle to drink so my friend put some of her shandy in her bottle and gave it to her i was speechless ,some parents:panic: :panic:

haribo
14-07-2009, 11:44 AM
hi there new member here, :blush: :blush: thats awful poor child, my friends baby she was six months at the time , she had nothing left in her bottle to drink so my friend put some of her shandy in her bottle and gave it to her i was speechless ,some parents:panic: :panic:

SHANDY :eek: :eek: OMG