PDA

View Full Version : eating fruit NOT

tammerisk
13-07-2009, 10:54 AM
i am having problems gettting a little one 18 months old to eat any kind of fruit or anything healthy other than yoghurt.

he eats lots and lots of carbohighdrates ....(bread crisps! a bit of pasta with out the other stuff on it) but simpley refuses to eat anything other than that ok junk like sweets and cocolate.

he is rather large for his age (almost twice the size of my own 18 month old)
and i really struggle and don't want to just give him fruit and sald and things like that as he won't eat them and will strave at mine and then go home and eat junk!!!! or go through loads of bottles of milk

so what i would like is some sujustions of ways i can put these things into something else to get him to eat some healther foods.

i will be trying smoothys with milk

not sure what else mind has gone blank

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 10:58 AM
if he likes yoghurt - get inventive with the fruit and whisk up smoothies, angel delight type things, how about jellies using fruit juices, make some ice-cream mixes with fruit, ice lollies using fruit juice etc.

The Juggler
13-07-2009, 12:17 PM
i am having problems gettting a little one 18 months old to eat any kind of fruit or anything healthy other than yoghurt.

i will be trying smoothys with milk

not sure what else mind has gone blank

if you think he's a little overweight (he might be living on milk and carbs) try him on smoothies made with water or juice instead. Also you could try fruit or veggie crisps, thinly sliced and baked in little olive oil.

Helen79
13-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I would offer less carbs if he's eating too many, so that he's more hungry. They fill you up so much there's no incentive to try anything else.

Smoothies are a good idea, or try frozen smoothies made into ice lollies.

You could puree up steamed fruit to mix in with the yoghurt or mash a banana up with the yogurt.

Tatjana
13-07-2009, 01:38 PM
You could try making some cereal bars with dried fruit? I do these with my ds's and they love making and eating them.

xx

Helen79
13-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I forgot to add fruit crumble & custard mmm

Will he eat dried fruit or tinned fruit, I find tined is often softer & esier to eat if they're not used to the texture of fruit?

Tam's Tribe
13-07-2009, 05:29 PM
You could try making some cereal bars with dried fruit? I do these with my ds's and they love making and eating them.

xx

Hi

Making cereal bars, now I am intrigued . . . would you mind sharing your receipe (I am not exactly a domestic goddess :laughing: ) with me . . . my kids love cereal bars.

Many thanks!
Tam

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 05:48 PM

xx

oooh yes please - share he recipe please. Perhaps Pauline could put it into members resources

mushpea
15-07-2009, 10:12 AM
hi i would love the recipee too plllleeeeeaaaaasssseee:D

duran
15-07-2009, 10:15 AM
why not try puree fruit or making frozen smoothie lollies

LOOPYLISA
15-07-2009, 03:38 PM
why not try puree fruit or making frozen smoothie lollies

My dd has just started making these, we have just got her a smoothie maker , really good :thumbsup:

Tatjana
15-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Recipe for cereal bars, here goes, don't worry about precise quantities, also you can vary the ingredients to suit your tastes. The kids have lots of fun crushing the nuts too!

*Can of condensed milk
* 250g rolled oats
* 75g almonds
* 100g dried cranberries
*125g mixed seeds (eg.pumpkin/sesame/sunflower)
* 125g walnuts

If your nuts are whole put them in a bag and beat to crush, lots of fun:D
Put all dry ingredients into a bowl, lots of stirring.
Add condensed milk, lots more stirring
Pour into a baking tin
Bake for 40mins on very low heat.
Leave to cool before cutting, then leave to cool completely.

Other ingredients we have used are, dates, raisins, dried apricots, all sorts of nuts. If you don't like seeds add another ingredient instead.:thumbsup:

xx

tammerisk
16-07-2009, 06:59 AM
thank you all for your help as the holidays are coming up i think alot of cooking activites are going to be done

Tam's Tribe
16-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the cereal bar reciepe . . . guess what I am making tonight.

Lovies
Tam

Tam's Tribe
16-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Recipe for cereal bars, here goes, don't worry about precise quantities, also you can vary the ingredients to suit your tastes. The kids have lots of fun crushing the nuts too!

*Can of condensed milk
* 250g rolled oats
* 75g almonds
* 100g dried cranberries
*125g mixed seeds (eg.pumpkin/sesame/sunflower)
* 125g walnuts

If your nuts are whole put them in a bag and beat to crush, lots of fun:D
Put all dry ingredients into a bowl, lots of stirring.
Add condensed milk, lots more stirring
Pour into a baking tin
Bake for 40mins on very low heat.
Leave to cool before cutting, then leave to cool completely.

Other ingredients we have used are, dates, raisins, dried apricots, all sorts of nuts. If you don't like seeds add another ingredient instead.:thumbsup:

xx

My boys and hubby LOVED the cereal bars . . . thanks for sharing the recipe . . .

Tatjana
16-07-2009, 08:17 PM
You're very welcome, they don't last long in our house!:laughing:

xx