PDA

View Full Version : Any vegetarians/vegans here?

IamJen
13-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm wondering how you work things out with food for your little ones. Do parents provide food? Do you cook them veg*n food yourself?

Just getting started, but planning to do the food here myself. I'm hoping parents will see that the snacks are healthy and well planned, so won't be concerned that they're vegan. As for the kids, well, if it tastes good, they don't care about anything else. :p

PixiePetal
13-07-2009, 11:01 AM
A friend minded a vegan child, mum provided packed lunch and friend bought snacks that were appropriate other than fruit and veg. Once she got to know what he liked and ate it became easier.

Bananabrain
13-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I am a vegetarian, but I cook meat for mindees and my own family. I was always really conscious that I didn't want to impose my views on others and become a ' vegetarian bore' so I tend not to make an issue of it and keep it to myself.

Have to say that sometimes I have trouble handling meat {esp ham} and sometimes hold it at arms length!

gigglinggoblin
13-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I am veggie and I cook fish but thats my limit. That goes for my kids too. If children bring their own lunch thats up to them, I will put out anything the parents provide but I wont prepare food that isnt veggie. Ham is one of my biggest problems too! The way I see it is that parents have the option of providing their own food, if they want me to do it then its on my terms.

singlewiththree
13-07-2009, 11:57 AM
As long as you can show to the parents and ofsted that the children are getting the correct nutrients from the food you provide then it shouldn't be a problem.

One of the children I mind is vegetarian however his mum has said that if he asks for a sausage or something then its his choice but she would prefer him not to be given the option.

Its the same with the minded children I can just think that ofsted might say that the children aren't given the choice of meat but as long as parents see a menu and have the option to decline and bring their own food then you should be ok.

haribo
13-07-2009, 12:00 PM
im vegetarian and explain when taking new children that if they really want them to eat meat i could provide it . i expain how i provide healthy alternatives though and so far parent have been happy with me providing veggie diet. i thought would go against me at inspection and it was the opposite , insp. even said it would be fine to not offer to provide meat as its a extremlely healthy diet and a veggie nursery had just been given outstanding !

IamJen
14-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Ooh..I would love to visit a veg nursery!

I wasn't too worried about Ofsted/inspectors, etc. because I can show that the food is healthful and nutritious. I just worried that parents might be taken aback if they weren't expecting it. I'm hoping to make "Earth friendly" one of my selling points for my home though...no harmful chemicals, lots of organic food, etc.

balloon
14-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I was a vegetarian when I started minding.

I was told in no uncertain terms by my pre reg inspector that I had to provide meat etc for mindees if I was making their food and had to allow parents to bring meat and animal products in if they were providing food. The thought of that almost made me not become a childminder.

What will you do about drinks, yoghurts, cheese etc? Milk obviously not allowed and formula is not vegan either... (soya milk is not to everybody's taste, alpro 'yoghurt' is fine but v expensive and cheesely is just foul, lol!) Just interested not trying to be argumentative, lol!

IamJen
14-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, if a baby's on formula, then that's different, imo. Of course, I will give them their bottles.

As for the other things, well, we don't do a lot of dairy analogues in our house currently. I use plant milks for cooking sometimes and in smoothies. Only dh uses it regularly though (on cereal).

The cheese, imo, generally taste less than great. :no: We sometimes have soya yogurt, which tastes fine. The fruity ones that kids generally like though, are very sugary, just like their dairy counterparts. I've actually started making it a bit, but I can't get it quite thick enough yet..going to try an idea this week.

Mostly, we drink water, juice and Oatly (which I think is gross, but dh likes it)

balloon
14-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for your reply :)

Let me know how you get on with the yoghurt. My DS keeps on about making yoghurt but I've not had the guts (or time, lol!) to try yet...

Hope it all goes well for you. :)

Moominmomma
14-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I have been veggie for 18 years and my I bring my 4 kids up the same. We don't have a lot of dairy in the house, the kids have cheese every now and again and yoghurt.

I'm lucky because the LO I look after Dad is veggie too, at the moment his parents provide meals, he comes with meat and fish. Mum is good and gives me instructions on how to heat t up. His parents are understanding that I won't cook meat, because I don't have a clue how.

the only issue I think some parents might have an issue with is soya milk, but again that has not arisen yet!

Helen79
14-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm hoping to make "Earth friendly" one of my selling points for my home though...no harmful chemicals, lots of organic food, etc

Sorry I'm not a vegetarian so can't help with the food q but wondered does anyone know where ofsted stand on eco-friendly cleaners?
We use tea tree oil & vinegar for anti-bac cleaning & orange oil for most other things but I'm worried that ofsted won't like this & will expect me to use dettol.
Any ideas on what oftsed like to see with regards to cleaning products.

I do Milton toys though.

IamJen
14-07-2009, 08:57 PM
re: the yogurt. I've been making it in a flask, but it's a bit thin (tastes okay), so I'm going to try and add some agar flakes in to thicken it up. I'm trying to work out when to add it though.

Ooh Helen, I'm just starting, so I'm not sure about Ofsted. The inspector said everything was clean when she was here, at least. I use primarily vinegar and baking soda for things as well. I do have some sort of "green" lime scale remover, because I've had trouble in the new flat.

I wonder if Ofsted asks about these things?

Helen79
14-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I wonder if Ofsted asks about these things?

I'm just hoping they don't. I'm going to print some info out to go in my folder just incase to cover myself.

When I had my environmental health inspection they didn't ask or notice any difference :thumbsup: