PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Baskets

Pipsqueak
12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Talk to me about Treasure Baskets please.

I know they are aimed at under 1's. They can be made up of all sorts of things:
wooden
shiny
smooth
anything in groups etc, tactile, using the senses

What are the benefits.... any info gratefully received

Trouble
12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
i thought you was going to ask what to put in them:(

Pipsqueak
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
i thought you was going to ask what to put in them:(

no no go ahead what i have posted is really all I know.

I have one treasure basket that is wooden - in it I have a mushroom brush, pastry brush, curtain ring, wooden ball, stick,

give me some ideas and I can hopefully get one sorted out quickly before Tuesday evening.

Trouble
12-07-2009, 09:03 PM
socks
shapes individual or all together
ribbons
materials
numbers
letters
stones
cones big or small
different shaped balls
colours individual or all together
milk tops
bottle tops

will that do??

Pipsqueak
12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
do you know, I would never thought about doing colours, or shapes or even balls, and I think the socks one is fab. Got some really groovy socks that I have collected over the years.
Thank you

I suppose you could carry it over to pre-schoolers and do a numbers and letters one as well

tick tick this has set me of thinking now.....:thumbsup: :D

Trouble
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
you could have stripy socks, different colours , spotty etc

uf353432
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I made a treasure basket for my now nearly 4 yr old when she was a tot, and I found that a childs interest in treasure baskets isn't restricted by age. Mine is a mixed basket - of various sensory objects - think of an ojbect not just be what its made of, but how does it feel, its weight, what noise it makes when you knock it, temperature, smell etc. A basket filled with so many thing, the combinations of the different things together make different sensory connections.

I have some really random things from round the house, children will explore every object and put different objects together. I have 3 and 4 yr old playing with the treasure basket along side my now 13 month old. Its lovely.

Blaze
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Can you pm me your email...I want to send you something on this!:thumbsup:

Monkey1
13-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Can you pm me your email...I want to send you something on this!:thumbsup:

could i have it too pleeeeeeeeeeease Tasha?

Monkey1
13-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm off on a course on Thursday on it, so will be more knowledgeable then, will do some research later. One thing i have done is a smelly basket. I have bought loads of those little favour bags for weddings from and put things like bayleaf, cinnemon, etc in. Kids love them

miffy
13-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm off on a course on Thursday on it, so will be more knowledgeable then, will do some research later. One thing i have done is a smelly basket. I have bought loads of those little favour bags for weddings from and put things like bayleaf, cinnemon, etc in. Kids love them

I like that idea Monkey :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

breezy
13-07-2009, 07:48 AM
I've got shells, wire wool, mushroom brush, stones, twigs, pasta etc, loads of tactile stuff. Older kids love it too, I've never done colours or smells though, will try it.

Blaze
13-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Did you get the email & attachment Pip?
Monkey need your email!

Blaze
13-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Pip & Monkey I've sent agasin using email addresses on facebook...can you let me know when you get it!:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
13-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I did hunny - haven't had chance to look at it yet though. Thanks to you and Sarah as well for the info. Mindee goes home soon, so I shall be sitting down to read through everything, I might even try to get an example basket together for tomorrow night:thumbsup:

loocyloo
13-07-2009, 04:30 PM

do you not find that all the smells blend into one 'big' smell? thats theonly thing putting me off doing a smelly one!

i love the socks idea!

xxx

Monkey1
13-07-2009, 05:50 PM
do you not find that all the smells blend into one 'big' smell? thats theonly thing putting me off doing a smelly one!

i love the socks idea!

xxx

Yes, but thats why i store them in individual food bags!:thumbsup:

ss1983
17-01-2010, 03:27 PM
do you just put all the things in a plastic box and let the kids get it all out i have a 1 year old i look after and he just like crawling around , i get some activitys out and he just crawls away

sarah707
17-01-2010, 03:51 PM
do you just put all the things in a plastic box and let the kids get it all out i have a 1 year old i look after and he just like crawling around , i get some activitys out and he just crawls away

Treasure baskets are about natural objects and should go inside safe, low wicker baskets.

Some children need to be taught how to play as well, so you could sit with him to start with and show him how things make noises, stack, roll etc.

When he is engaged with the contents, move slightly away but always stay close by :D

igglepiggle
17-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I build mine up as I go along and add to it regularly. My LO has just had a birthday party and one of the birthday banners fell down. I noticed a few children were playing with it and crinkling it so I added that. I have put mirrors and balls in and a selection of different sized boxes and little baskets for stacking and sorting. I often find the children placing the sea shells in to the boxes to hide them. Really - I don't think there are any rules. Anything that you think will stimulate the children will work I guess. Those funny scented wooden balls that people put in drawers work well too. I could go on! Just go for it and fill it to the brim. Mine love taking things in and out of it at the moment. I've had times when there have been no 'toys' out as the treasure basket has sufficed:) . xx

ss1983
17-01-2010, 03:55 PM
socks
shapes individual or all together
ribbons
materials
numbers
letters
stones
cones big or small
different shaped balls
colours individual or all together
milk tops
bottle tops

will that do??

where do you keep all the treasure and sensory baskets

Rasharoon
17-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm in the process of doing a smell sensory activity. Have used baby food jars - with holes nailed in the lids and will soak cotton wool balls in strong smelling substances (i.e. vinegar, lemon juice) and have favour bags for herbs, coffee beans, nutmeg etc.
This will be the first time I've done something like this.

A book by Featherstone Education - The Little Book of Treasure Baskets is fab.

mushpea
18-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I got rid of mine because the first time we got it out the older one (3.5yrs) wanted the glue out cause she thought it was junk modling time and after that they didnt show any interest in it at all no matter what i tried. cant see the point in having one if they are interested and i could see how the older one thought it was for junk modling, after all most of it was junk!!