PDA

View Full Version : Should i warn parents?

childmind04
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Just found out a childminder who i have been with is under close watch for swine flu and her dd has been confirmed as having it :eek:

Should i tell my parents, i have one who is pregnant, up to now i am fine, one of my mindees had a awful runny nose on Friday but was ok otherwise, i have not took much notice but you tend to look at it different when someone you know gets it!!!

ORKSIE
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I would say something along the lines of...Dont want to be a scare monger but.......Blah de Blah....just thought you should be aware.

Daftbat
12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
If the other childminders daughter has flu and is being kept in isolation from any other children then i don't see a problem and i would have thought she has spoken to her customers already anyway.

Whilst pregnant women are more prone to infections because of their reduced imune system i would not have thought there was any greater risk to her using your own setting than just being in the general community, especially as you have said you have no symptoms.

I would just talk to the other childminder and find out the facts of what is going on. At the end of the day we can only follow the normal procedures regarding infectious illness as quoted in our policies and Ofsted recomendations along with a bit of common sense.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Personally I would the same as if the children have come in contact with others having chicken pox

Mouse
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I would mention it. You don't need to say who it is, just that you have been in contact with someone who possibly has it & whose daughter is confirmed as having it.

Roseolivia
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM
My godson and his mother and grandmother have come down with swine flu. I've told my parent but she works in a school which has it there anyway and she's not worried.

RainbowMum
12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Were you in contact with either of them after their symptoms started? If not it is highly unlikely that you will catch it from them. On the other hand I would make sure all parents know it is in the local area and you will be following your illness policy to the letter.

We have a confirmed case in our town, parent of a child at the school we use, I have informed all parents of this (but not which family it is) and if their child is ill I will not accept them. One of my mums is expexting twins and is already having a rough pregnancy - this would be v bad for her.

I am hoping that when the vaccine is ready we can be 3rd in line (after health care workers & vulnerable people) to receive it as we provide a valuable service :thumbsup:

childmind04
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone, i have informed her as we were in contact with both of them, plus the little girl had been off school with just a headache that would not shift on Thursday so we were standing in the school yard with them whilst kids were playing :(

Mind all i got was oh M has got a green nose and i have a sore throat but im sure its hayfever!!!
:eek: