PDA

View Full Version : Cheesed off !!!

jaz
19-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Really peeved, just spoken to one of my parents to see if her LO would be coming at usual time, when told she thought I would be not working, even tho my newsletter quite clearly states I am available this week.

She said she thought I wasnt working in holidays, I said I was not prepared to take anyone else on in holidays as I would not be able to get them into the car to go out.

Do I charge her normal rate, half rate or not bother 'cos at least it means I can spend some time with my kids alone?

Thanks for letting me rant :blush:

J
x

angeldelight
19-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Well if she is contracted to come then I would charge her full fees

It is not really your problem if she misunderstood although how you could do that beats me

Is she bringing the child the rest of the week now ?

Angel xx

jaz
19-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Nope apparantly she has it all covered

arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Twinkles
19-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I would definitely charge her full. You are there and available for work. Her problem not yours.

angeldelight
19-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree to be honest

I think I would call her and explain that she will still have to pay for this week

Otherwise you are going to run into all sorts of problems when next week arrives

How does she pay you

If she pays you in advance on a Monday morning ask her to pop round with your fees today

Angel xx

sarah707
19-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I had that last week... father booked me, mother made alternative arrangements because she thought I wouldn't be working with it being half term...!

No point trying to charge them in my case though - there is no way they would pay and it would create bad feeling... just to let you know I know how you feel! :D

miffy
19-02-2008, 09:54 AM
If you are contracted to have the child in the holidays then you should charge in full

It was on her contract and in your newsletter and so is not your problem if she didn't read them properly

Now enjoy your unexpected, paid time off!

Miffy xxx

susi513
19-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I would charge as per the contract. Although you are not providing care after all, the place is still reserved for the sole use of her child.

The parent has chosen not to read your newsletter properly. The parent has chosen to make alternative arrangements without mentioning it to you. The parent has the right to choose whether or not to send their child during contracted hours. You have the right to waive or reduce the fees if you like (I have done sometimes when it meant I had a day off, but not always!) but you certainly do not have to.

Now, if she'd said a month ago that she wasn't sending her child and you had time to book in another child or go stay with relatives/plan some family fun then I might have suggested reducing to 1/2 fees. But you only knew the child wasn't coming because you asked.

Lou
19-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I agree i would charge full fees as per the contract.

I also agree with Angel, i would give her a call and remind her she still has to pay so there is no confusion when it comes to paying.

jaz
19-02-2008, 10:10 AM
She pays me by Busy Bee vouchers, for her full entitlement, and I knock of the amount as we go along. I just dont want to cause any bad feeling with the parent as she is also supposed to be a friend and her little one is the reason I got registered in the first place.

I'm just unsure of what to do, but I have taken all your comments on board - remind me why we do this job again?? ;)

J
x

angeldelight
19-02-2008, 10:18 AM
It must be your choice of course

Its always easy for us to say what we would do - we often do it different then when we are in a situation because we are wimps haha

Anyway if you do not charge her this week - easter is coming up so make sure you make it more than clear to her that you have done her a favour this week - but you expect payment in full at easter even if she does not use you

Good luck

Angel xx

yummymummy
19-02-2008, 10:18 AM
:) It's awful when these "misunderstandings" happen as it always makes it seems that the childminder wants money for doing nothing, in the parents eyes of course!
Look at your contract again just to make doubly sure but unless term time only is mentioned you are well within your rights to charge full fee. This really would be classed as child/parent holiday so full fee is payable, if you were interested in doing it perhaps you could sweeten the full fee charge by saying something like "if in future you would like to change to a term time only contract we could renegotiate our contract full fee term time, half fee payable in school holidays to hold your childs place open"
It seems sometimes no matter how many policies you give the parents or wording or terms in the contract they just appear to think that they can do what they like and you will oblige. Been there, done it, got the t shirt! You think that if you make everything perfectly clear before you start to care for their child this sort of thing won't happen but unfortunately it's one of the many many things in a childminder's lot!
I hope it goes smoothly and doesn't get too awkward for you, enjoy your half term. X