PDA

View Full Version : overnight care

mushpea
11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
hi how much more would i need to do to my house to offer overnight care, i have a spare room and 'normal' smoke alarms do they need to be attatched to the firebrigade? i have a stairgate i can put upstairs and 2 travel cots or i could get one of those ready beds.
just wonded how much more involved it is and wether its worth what you can earn or not.

balloon
11-07-2009, 03:49 PM
hi how much more would i need to do to my house to offer overnight care, i have a spare room and 'normal' smoke alarms do they need to be attatched to the firebrigade? i have a stairgate i can put upstairs and 2 travel cots or i could get one of those ready beds.
just wonded how much more involved it is and wether its worth what you can earn or not.

My smoke alarms are wired to the mains and each other (so that if one goes off they both do). They are not attached to the fire brigade.

I have to have an upstairs phone (not cordless) in case of fire at night (not cordless in case of power failure).

Fire extinguisher upstairs. (not requirement AFAIK, just personal peace of mind)

Stair gates/safety barriers.

I have a proper cot and a travel cot but the inspector suggested an air bed on the floor for an older child would be fine.

I'm sure there was something else but can't think at the moment, lol!

As for if it's worth it, I've only done 1 overnight in the (almost) year I've been registered but it doesn't cost me anything more than minding in the day so for me it was worth it just for that one night...

If you live near a hospital it may be even more worth it for night staff.

Hebs
11-07-2009, 03:57 PM
My smoke alarms are wired to the mains and each other (so that if one goes off they both do). They are not attached to the fire brigade.

I have to have an upstairs phone (not cordless) in case of fire at night (not cordless in case of power failure).

Fire extinguisher upstairs.

I have a proper cot and a travel cot but the inspector suggested an air bed on the floor for an older child would be fine.

As for if it's worth it, I've only done 1 overnight in the (almost) year I've been registered but it doesn't cost me anything more than minding in the day so for me it was worth it just for that one night...

all of the above but no fire extinguishers, was never mentioned in my inspection... do we have to have one?
i regulary provide overnight care to an almost 2 year old

balloon
11-07-2009, 04:03 PM
all of the above but no fire extinguishers, was never mentioned in my inspection... do we have to have one?
i regulary provide overnight care to an almost 2 year old

No we don't have to have one legally AFAIK. Just made sense to me cos I'm the only adult and it may buy me precious time to get mindees/my own children out of the house/safer in one room til the fire brigade comes.

My grading inspector was also pleased I had one upstairs so it can't do any harm, lol!

Hebs
11-07-2009, 04:05 PM
No we don't have to have one legally AFAIK. Just made sense to me cos I'm the only adult and it may buy me precious time to get mindees/my own children out of the house/safer in one room til the fire brigade comes.

My grading inspector was also pleased I had one upstairs so it can't do any harm, lol!

duly noted and now on my ever increasing to buy list

:laughing:

Daftbat
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Fire extinguisher upstairs.

I don't have a fire extinguisher upstairs - never been mentioned. Smoke alarm is wired in to mains though. I work for NHS staff and have done overnight care for about 8 years but i am stopping after Xmas as my own family is growing up and its not as convenient as it used to be.

mushpea
11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks ,,, so how do i wire the smoke alarms in to the mains? are they expensie to buy and can i fit them or does it require an electriacian or even better a hunky fireman:D

balloon
11-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know if you have to have them wired to the mains but my inspector (pre reg) said "ah they're wired in , good". May be worth emailing ofsted to ask (then you have the answer in writing, lol!)

But yes it would have to be an electrician, shame really cos a firefighter sounds much more fun, lol! ;)

Daftbat
11-07-2009, 07:26 PM
You need an electrician really.